Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 CVA reliability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #1

Default Gen7 CVA reliability?

Is anybody breaking the CVAs on their Gen7 Pros? I put the CVAs into my Sport, and after what I thought was a pretty non-eventful riverbed crawl, I discovered that both of my CVAs are broken at the joint. On one, the pin popped out of the cup, and on the other, the cup is broken.

I'm inclined to spend the $15 for a new set and hope for the best, but I want to start formulating a better long term plan if these axles seem to be a problem.

Based on where they broke, I'm wondering if it's due to the improved steering angle that I've got from all of my steering mods. I thought I had the end points dialed back enough that there was no notchy-ness at full lock, but maybe it's still too much stress for the CVAs. On this last crawl where they broke, my son was driving, and he tends to either steer straight or at full lock.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #2

Default Re: Gen7 CVA reliability?

I went through the Sport dogbones, and then 2 sets of the Pro CVAs in a month. As far as I can tell, they're pretty much garbage. Out of the 2 sets of Pro CVAs I had the pin tear out of the cup on 2 of them, one of them completely snapped, and there is 1 lonely surviving axle.

I switched to Axial axles (Incision axles) and have since beat the snot out of it with no problems. I've lost a little bit of steering angle since I went with the more inexpensive U joint axles, but as a proof of concept, they worked, and I'll trade that little bit of steering angle for not having to constantly tear it apart to replace them.

Considering the amount of time and money I've sunk in to replacing axle shafts at this point, I think I would have just been better off to switch over to complete Axial axle assemblies completely, and probably will at some point.
Aaron_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #3

I ordered a new set of CVAs but rather than wait for them to break, I think I'll start planning a more durable fix. Maybe I'll try the XR mod.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
I went through the Sport dogbones, and then 2 sets of the Pro CVAs in a month. As far as I can tell, they're pretty much garbage. Out of the 2 sets of Pro CVAs I had the pin tear out of the cup on 2 of them, one of them completely snapped, and there is 1 lonely surviving axle.

I switched to Axial axles (Incision axles) and have since beat the snot out of it with no problems. I've lost a little bit of steering angle since I went with the more inexpensive U joint axles, but as a proof of concept, they worked, and I'll trade that little bit of steering angle for not having to constantly tear it apart to replace them.

Considering the amount of time and money I've sunk in to replacing axle shafts at this point, I think I would have just been better off to switch over to complete Axial axle assemblies completely, and probably will at some point.
What was the part number for the axial shafts? Were they a direct fit?
crashtestheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 AM   #5

The Axial shafts (or any aftermarket variant) should be a direct fit with the exception of how they fit into the spool. The Redcat shafts are a larger diameter, and because of that, the Axial shafts will be a sloppy fit into the spool. To fix this, you can buy a spool made for an SCX10 and bolt it to the Redcat ring gear, or go full on redneck style with some JB Weld to take up the slack.

Gen7 CVA reliability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gmade CVA durfeec G-Made Sawback 41 08-31-2017 09:20 AM
reliability of cm711 Vaterra Ascender 11 12-10-2014 09:51 PM
cva vs universals nothinbutv8s Newbie General 3 07-30-2009 06:37 AM
Reliability? NoblesvilleKid Non Crawler RC's 8 07-30-2008 12:26 AM
Axial AX10 Scorpion CVA Driveshafts t9dragon Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 01-19-2008 02:09 AM