Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Gen 7 Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
JMD

Default New Gen 7 Sport

I picked up a new Gen 7 Sport last week. $180 out the door. I was surprised to see that Redcat has the new high steer kit installed n ready to go. The knuckles are plastic, but have the new design like the aluminum high steer kit. I threw in a 20kg servo, and adjusted my links, shock positions, and used a Barrage rear bumper on the front. Did the mount flip trick and got the body sitting just right. Took it out, and I’m impressed ! This truck is awesome. I have a Vader plate, but now I’m not sure if I even want to mess with the whole project now. I’m pretty darn happy. Let me know your opinions on this, and also how to post pics please. Thanks
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Default Re: New Gen 7 Sport

It's great to hear that Redcat is making rolling changes like that.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #3
JMD

I have had to spend some cash n fix my truck. I strongly suggest upgrading to the front cva’s on the Gen 7 Sport, especially ones equipped with the high steer kit. I believe the Sport will be fairly reliable after that. I snapped a chub after binding the front dog bones during full steering. I got the aluminum high steer kit for the knuckles, the front cva’s, and was able to find a set of aluminum chubs for the Everest 10. Only difference was gunmetal color for E10, and silver for Gen 7. It all looks and works beautifully together, and after I installed a new servo, front bumper, and did some suspension adjustments I’m pretty happy. I also installed the inner fenders, and some Team Associated hex hubs that are 3mm wider than stock. It looks more bad ass with the wider stance , and no more rubbing on the inside of the passenger side front tire. I installed a set on the rear as well. I have a Vader trans plate that I haven’t installed yet, and have plans to purchase new tire foams. I run the truck mainly at a rocky island by the river with awesome trails and excellent rock crawling. Besides putting a set of RC4WD stamped wheels, and a set of the 3.6 inch Mud Slingers on my Barrage I’m new to tires n foams. Any suggestions for foams to replace the open cell stock ones in my Gen 7 using the stock wheels n tires would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #4
JMD

Oops, I guess the front tire was actually rubbing on the driver side.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
JMD

Got confused cause I can’t seem to be able to fit inside a Gen 7 lol
Old 07-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
JMD

Also thought about possibly picking up a set of Gmade portals for the R1. Seem decent for the money ? Anybody try this on a Gen 7 ?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I have had to spend some cash n fix my truck. I strongly suggest upgrading to the front cva’s on the Gen 7 Sport, especially ones equipped with the high steer kit. I believe the Sport will be fairly reliable after that. I snapped a chub after binding the front dog bones during full steering.
Adding the Sport's CV axles will give you more steering angle before you bind, but if you've done the steering mods or if you've added the high steer knuckles, you can still turn far enough to bind the CV axles and tear them up. Ask me how I know this.

I've got a set of cheap Chinese SCX10 CV axles on the way with the hopes that they'll have more steering angle than the Redcat CV axles. If they do, I'll be installing those along with a compatible locker in hopes of getting more steering without binding.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
JMD

Nice, let me know how those work for you.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
JMD

I ordered a spur and slipper from ECX, to try on the Gen 7. Watched a video, and it’s super easy. Just got to cut the spring down, and bolt it up. And if I don’t like it, then off it goes and back to to the stock spur. Anyone else done this recently ?
Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 AM   #10
JMD

I haven’t figured out how to post pics. I have a bunch to share.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Pic hosting site. I use imgbb.com super easy to use.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #12
JMD

I removed the electronics mount, and installed the esc right on top of the servo. Also relocated the receiver. The truck seems to handle even better, and it actually looks like the esc is the engine. I like it
Old 07-27-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
I ordered a spur and slipper from ECX, to try on the Gen 7. Watched a video, and it’s super easy. Just got to cut the spring down, and bolt it up. And if I don’t like it, then off it goes and back to to the stock spur. Anyone else done this recently ?
I had issues with that mod too. My spur gear wouldn't travel true. The issue that isn't covered in the video is that the spring has to be flat on the end you cut. Need to grind it so it's square then the slipper mod works great.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #14
JMD

Thanks for the tip Gramps. I’ll make sure I do it right.

New Gen 7 Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 7 pro fenders on sport Nycrawler85 Redcat Crawlers 4 07-18-2018 02:38 AM
Gen 7 sport project Tx4x4 Redcat Crawlers 5 06-10-2018 09:33 PM
Gen 7 sport king of the mountain shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 05-21-2018 07:00 AM
My Gen 7 sport. (First crawler) bama_southern89 Redcat Crawlers 0 04-09-2018 03:13 PM