Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Gen 7 "Family Truckster" Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My Gen 7 "Family Truckster" Build

I picked up a Gen 7 Sport last week as my first long wheelbase crawler.

Right away, I added a roof rack with lights, LEDs in the bumpers, swapped in a Spektrum receiver for my DX5C, and put on a deans plug for my LiPo packs.

CT Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My Gen 7 "Family Truckster" Build

The look of this truck with the wood paneling just reminds of the Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Vacation, so that is how I refer to it.

I swapped the tires over to some aluminum beadlocks I had and did some testing at home.

Headed out to RC Madness with a few friends to check out their outdoor crawler course and give the truck a good test. I was very happy with its abilities, but frustrated with the weak plastic C hubs.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

My friend has spare aluminum C hubs from his Axial SCX10 that fit perfect with some slight adjustments.

That stopped all the extra flexing that was causing the dogbone to pop out which would over stress the plastic and break it. Since I also managed to finally strip a tranny gear in my Ascender, I swapped the Hyrax tires and heavy duty beadlocks onto the Truckster. This turned the truck into an absolute crawling monster.

I trimmed the front bumper to match the body width and clear the large tires, and also swapped in a 20kg metal gear digital servo.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #4

Nice truck! One of your next mods should be to swap in a set of CV axles into the front, and to replace the plastic lockers with metal. Once you swap the CV axles into the front, you can do the free steering mods to increase your steering. Since the new trucks are shipping with high steer knuckles already, you basically just need a longer servo arm to take advantage of the extra steering.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

The new trucks already have all the steering you can get out of the truck. I was rubbing the lower arms with the stock tires right out of the box. Also, my CVA's should be here next week.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Yankee View Post
The new trucks already have all the steering you can get out of the truck. I was rubbing the lower arms with the stock tires right out of the box. Also, my CVA's should be here next week.
That would explain why everybody is breaking the C-hubs. The dogbones can't turn anywhere near that far. Even the CVAs start to bind before the tires hit the shocks and/or arms.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Snapped the abused dogbone at a competition today, but luckily the CVA's arrived yesterday ahead of schedule. Swapped them in and also noticed that my wheels weren't sliding all the way onto the axles, so drilled them out to fit correctly.

Notice the wheel stock hex is not seated completely in the wheel

Much better

My Gen 7 "Family Truckster" Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Legacy" a "shannon campbell inspired" TH build Rodamis Vaterra Twin Hammers 25 09-15-2016 09:44 AM
W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 489 08-08-2014 06:22 PM
Chaotic Crawlers "DEMON" build! aka "Kreacher" Mac10 EnRoute Berg 96 09-26-2010 01:49 PM
So, who wrote off the "missing family" as dead??? Robb Chit Chat 11 12-06-2006 05:08 PM