Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gen 7 Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Gen 7 Pro

This was my first RC Crawler purchase. So far, I like it. Took off a bunch of the accessories as they did not seem to be scale such as the gas cans, etc. Planing on a rear tire sing and a high steering set. Any other direction on what would be good mods would be greatly appreciated.

brimdogg likes this.
ART!CUL@TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Gen 7 Pro

Metal transmission gears and steering horn are a common upgrade. I just got one also and plan on doing those, then running it till stuff breaks and upgrade from there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ADlBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

check your servo end points, and adjust as needed. It seems that most of these are coming with the steering set too wide, which is causing c-hubs to break. Turn the steering all the way left and right. If you see any part of the axle flexing, your end points are too far and need to be dialed back until nothing binds or flexes at full lock.
Gramps likes this.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
check your servo end points, and adjust as needed. It seems that most of these are coming with the steering set too wide, which is causing c-hubs to break. Turn the steering all the way left and right. If you see any part of the axle flexing, your end points are too far and need to be dialed back until nothing binds or flexes at full lock.

Thanks for the info. I can see why things might be a little stressed. In stock form, with the steering turned to full one way, the steering cross rod actually hits the front differential and the servo tries to almost bend it. Not a good scenario. Ironically, I found the high steering kit on redcat's website that fixes this issue. Why would they not just install the kit while it is being assembled? Maybe a money maker I guess. I am still really surprised on how well this affordable rig runs. Keeps right up wheeling with my neighbors axial. In some aspects, my rig out performs his. I may not have the fastest rig, but it has power and torque which supersedes speed when off road.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #5

Did some stuff to the rig tonight. Added the wood paneling decals and tweaked the suspension a little for more clearance and flex. Ordered rear bumper with tire swing. Next will be a front bumper. I can't say I care for the redcat bumpers much. And having the spare tire on top just makes the rig top heavy. Once I have some of the mods put on, I will post pics.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have seen reports of the Sport now coming with plastic high steering knuckles. I would think they would have done the same for the Pro. Checkout Budget RC on Youtube he has some nice mods and upgrades for the G7 https://youtu.be/Lir_rGpr0b0
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I believe that all of the new trucks DO come with the high steer knuckles, and that's the problem. With the original stuff, the stops in the knuckles hit the chubs and prevented the axles from over rotating. End points weren't set correctly, so everybody was burning up servos. Redcat made a rolling change and started building the trucks with the high steer knuckles, which improved steering, which unfortunately isn't always a good thing. Now instead of the stops hitting and burning up servos if the end points aren't right, it allowed the axle to steer farther which put the dogbones or CV axles into bind, which in turn twists the chubs and/or breaks the CV axles.

On my truck I installed the aluminum high steer knuckles, and the next time my son used it, he managed to break both CV axles at the knuckle because I had the dual rate adjusted just a little bit too far.

Oh, and you should definitely watch that BudgetRC guy.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #8

This is supposed to be a crawler. It's hard to place the wheels when the rig has the turning radius of a bus. And my rig did not come with the steering upgrades which is weird as my rig was ordered from redcat directly. Oh well, just means I get to tinker!
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

well, if yours is the old style, my upgrade videos should prove quite helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Here are some pics of the new rear bumper with tire swing. I also threw a tow chain on the front bumper to dress up the nose until I get a new front bumper. The new rear bumper helps a lot with clearance.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #11

I'm debating on pulling the fender flares and going with a traditional body. Not sure how I would support the body as the flares help with rigidity. I am alos not a fan of the stock roof rack. It may go too and be replaced with a different one.

Last edited by ART!CUL@TE; 08-14-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

the stock body seems to just fine without the fender flares & cage. My Sport body is holding up fine.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Stripped everything off mine, body is just like any other lexan body. Removed a ton of weight also.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #14

As I had a day off...which is almost never, I have been tinkering all day. Pulled off the fender flares. Man does the rig look so much better and more to scale without the fender flares. I also pulled the roof rack off. I think with a new front bumper to allow better tire placement, this thing should be pretty awesome on trail.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #15

Should I add rock sliders? Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART!CUL@TE View Post
Should I add rock sliders? Thoughts?
Do and let me know if you like them. I have some on a sxc10, feel they help protect the body, but that's about it.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #17

That's really all I want to use them for is body protection. Although, mounting them may be an issue. I don't have a bunch of real estate for attaching them.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART!CUL@TE View Post
As I had a day off...which is almost never, I have been tinkering all day. Pulled off the fender flares. Man does the rig look so much better and more to scale without the fender flares. I also pulled the roof rack off. I think with a new front bumper to allow better tire placement, this thing should be pretty awesome on trail.
You can move the stock bumpers up and in, and trim the ends of the front bumper to gain a lot more clearance without rubbing.
ART!CUL@TE likes this.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #19

Stripped down looks better.

Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #20

Already hearing some noise from the rear diff. Not too happy about it. Is it normal? If a axle swap is in order (hypothetically), what would be good replacement axles? Full aluminum or do I go big with some portal axles? I am new in all of this, so hearing some noise may be normal. But I do't know. Sounds like its in the rear diff when the rear tires are under a load while it's crawling over an obstacle with the weight of the rig bearing on the rear tires. Thoughts?

Last edited by ART!CUL@TE; Yesterday at 07:54 PM.

Gen 7 Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen 7 pro fenders on sport Nycrawler85 Redcat Crawlers 4 07-18-2018 02:38 AM
New to crawlers - Gen 7 Pro noise? Roty Redcat Crawlers 3 06-23-2018 11:55 AM
My custom Gen 7 Pro AngryViper Redcat Crawlers 5 03-29-2018 10:10 PM
Gen 7 Pro aftermarket body? TunedUpDiesel Redcat Crawlers 9 02-08-2018 06:45 PM