Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Holmes Hobbies motor in my Gen 7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Default New Holmes Hobbies motor in my Gen 7

Burned up the stock motor last week so I made the plunge. I tried contacting HH but their response was not inspired at all... had they not been so highly recommended that would have sent me packing; however, I am glad I didn't. Bought a Torquemaster Expert 550 Brushed motor. took it out tonight and it is fantastic-lots of slow control and power! Not as fast, and not as much wheel spin "power" as the stock motor, but the slow speed control more than makes up for it. Nice! can't see much, but here is the proof...

photo IMG_3885_zpsryabngwp.jpg

photo IMG_3886_zpsklguwpho.jpg
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: New Holmes Hobbies motor in my Gen 7

My apologies that you didn't find our response inspired. We asked whether you were seeking brushed or brushless to help narrow down our recommendation, because we really can recommend every single product on the shelf and guarantee great results. But we do need some information or guidance on your budget and expectations from the system. I think it would have been even worse to respond with "pick anything", lol!

Many thanks for the support, even without a response full of enthusiasm. Glad you like the motor!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

I can only imagine how much you'll like the torque when you upgrade to a Lipo pack.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

Do tell... what is a lippo pack? This is where I feel 'outside' as there is no one else near where I live doing this and the only info I can get on upgrades and such is trying to make sense of the lingo and tech I know nothing about on line. Kinda what I meant with the response statement above-I am new, isolate and need to be taught. Some times it is easy, and some times it is just not. Motors-not so easy. Batteries? Know nothing. So, please enlighten...

Thanks

Pat
Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

Lipo is a lithium - polymer battery composition. They're capable of delivering substantially more current than a standard NIMH pack. They were arguably the single greatest advancement in electric RC since the wireless controller.

The drawbacks to lipo batteries are that they need a specific charger (you absolutely can NOT charge them with a charger designed only for nimh packs), and that if they are mistreated, they can burn up. This is almost always due to them being charged incorrectly, which is why the proper charger is so important, but they can occasionally burn up when in use. If they're used correctly though, those situations are highly unlikely. I have yet to ever have one burn up except for the one time that I cut one up with a hatchet.

Here's a pretty good explanation:
https://www.adrenalinercracing.com/b...nimh-batteries

Getting your first lipo can be a little bit expensive because you also need a charger, but places like Hobbyking have 5000mah lipo packs for $30-35, and nice chargers for as little as $25.

I just bought this combo for my cousin who's still running nimh in his T4:
battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

charging bag: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/lithium-...umbo-sack.html

charger: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/accuell-...r-us-plug.html

The one caveat here is that the battery I chose doesn't come with my preferred XT60 connector, but it's no big deal to solder it on.

The difference you see when going to a lipo battery will be much more substantial than the difference you saw with the new motor.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearing View Post
Do tell... what is a lippo pack? This is where I feel 'outside' as there is no one else near where I live doing this and the only info I can get on upgrades and such is trying to make sense of the lingo and tech I know nothing about on line. Kinda what I meant with the response statement above-I am new, isolate and need to be taught. Some times it is easy, and some times it is just not. Motors-not so easy. Batteries? Know nothing. So, please enlighten...

Thanks

Pat
If you don't have people nearby the best way to learn is reading. There are tons of resources on the internet. LiPo batteries are the way to go I can assure you that.

Here are a couple of links I found (but haven't read):

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/
https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog/compl...guide-overview
RC Lipo Battery Guide: Explanation, Safety, and Care • LearningRC
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #7

Thanks for this-the first article is good. I am looking into the change...

Pat
Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Please make sure you pay extra attention to all the safety recommendations for lipo packs. They aren't like NiMh/NiCd packs where you can just just throw them on a charger and the worst thing that can happen is a cell pops and you have some clean up to do. When a lipo pack goes, it usually involves a lot of fire and smoke.

Extra care should be taken in how you store/charge/use lipo packs.
scithera is offline   Reply With Quote

New Holmes Hobbies motor in my Gen 7 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Hobbies Motor sbarnesvta Electronics 21 10-27-2008 09:57 PM