Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Took the plunge and ordered some Lipo's, now I need advice...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #1

Default Took the plunge and ordered some Lipo's, now I need advice...

My new batteries should be here in a week or so. I have done some reading and understand the dangers-bought two fire proof storage bags and such, but I would like some advice on the day to day usage and storage. Seems that you cannot store these topped off etc. so how do they work in the real world... (may be that I have put the cart in front of the horse here.)

Thanks in advance

Pat
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Took the plunge and ordered some Lipo's, now I need advice...

I only balance charge my lipos and when not using for more than a few days, I put em into storage mode. I store mine in lipo bags although if you want added peace of mind, throw em in a fire-safe lipo box. Plenty of debate whether a fireproof box is necessary... I don't but up to you. I never store lipos in a hot car or in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time and I always use name-brand/ quality batteries with proper ratings for crawler applications. Make sure to check batteries frequently for any signs of damage, puffing, or anything that doesn't look normal. Use a quality charger that will balance charge and storage charge.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #3

I store mine topped off. It may shorten the life, but I still get at least 5 years out of LiPos so...

I just try not to store them dead because that's when they drop too low and you can't save them.

Get a good charger. Spend money on that. Junk chargers can overcharge and overdischarge LiPos. If you spend $100 you can get a Hitec or Venom dual charger so you can charge 2 batteries at once which is always nice.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

First off if you don’t have one yet don’t cheap out on a lipo charger. Get a smart one that balance charges and can put them in storage mode if you’re not going to be using them for an extended period of time. It’s also handy to have a little voltage/balance checker to quickly and easily see where you’re batteries are at after various runs so can monitor battery health as well as quickly know if it needs charging before the next run. I’ll find a pic they come in a variety of sizes and prices.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9c...rIucM37i_nx3aw
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #5

High Plains Drifter mentioned proper rating for crawler-what are those? I have not seen any mention of those numbers in any of the places I have looked...
pearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearing View Post
High Plains Drifter mentioned proper rating for crawler-what are those? I have not seen any mention of those numbers in any of the places I have looked...

He is referring to knowing what kind of demands your motor and esc are going to have at maximum current draw. Typically crawling and trailing isn’t that hard on the electrical system but it depends on your driving style. A safe place to start would be to make sure you get a battery with a discharge rating equal to or better than stock. Your manual should list a recommended lipo size and rating. If you’ve switched or plan to switch to after market motor and esc the manufacturer should have info on the voltage and current requirements. There are probably other discussions on the forum about matching up a battery to the needs of the rig. Also try a YouTube search on the topic There are lots of videos on there about lipo’s and proper use etc.
BadBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Here's a copy/paste of an article that was written about lipo care and safety recently:

Hi everybody, here’s our first installment of tech tip Tuesday-

Today we’re going to talk about one of the most heavily discussed subjects in the RC world, LiPo care. There’s a ton of misinformation out there and here at Kelowna R/C Trail and Scale we want do our part to help clear some things up.

I’ve been using LiPos for about 9 years now. I’ve watched a lot of aspects of these batteries change and evolve in that time. I’ve found that it’s the RC helicopter industry that has been pushing research and knowledge further than most other segments of the market. I’m not sure why that is; it’s just something I’ve noticed. With that being said, just try to ignore the fact that the articles I’ll link to talk about heli stuff – every time they say “Heli” just think “Crawler” or “Buggy” or “Drone” or whatever flavor of RC is your favourite.

We all know LiPos can burn, that’s old news. But how dangerous are they really? Would I charge a LiPo in the crib with a newborn baby? No. But would I walk away from a battery that’s charging in my garage? Probably, as long as I knew with confidence that the battery was in good condition, hadn’t sustained any physical damage and it wasn’t that battery’s first charge cycle.

Lithium battery technology is still a relatively new technology and it’s constantly changing and evolving. That’s largely why there’s so much bad info out there – somebody heard their buddy say something about LiPos but they didn’t realize that it was in reference to a technique they used or something they’d heard from 10 years ago, or even a piece of information that was published but later found to be false (the salt water soak comes to mind here).

I know nobody likes reading long articles but I would highly recommend everyone read through the links below. I’ve scoured the internet and selected what I think is the 3 best LiPo care articles out there.

To briefly summarize some of the key points from these articles:

-Always balance charge.
-Always pay attention to charge and discharge rates (C rates)
-Avoid excessive heat (don’t leave them in your car)
-Make sure your C rating is adequate for your purposes (crawlers need lower C ratings than race rigs)
-Some slight swelling of LiPo batteries is perfectly normal as they wear out.
-If a cell sustains ANY physical damage, it should be disposed of.

To dispose of them you have 2 easy choices:
1) Drain them to 0 volts using an automotive light bulb or similar and put them in your regular household garbage
2) Take them any battery recycler for safe disposal

Do not soak them in salt water.
Do not slice the cells.

Best Lipo Care Resource:
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

Best Disposal guides:
How-To: Safe lipo preparation for disposal - TJinTech
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php…
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I actually just read about the salt water soak technique yesterday. So that's bunk?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I actually just read about the salt water soak technique yesterday. So that's bunk?
I've often read soaking them in salt water is the best way to kill them before disposal.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Salt water will fully drain the battery, maybe. Honestly the best way I've found is just hook it up to an old truck headlight until it reads 0v.
The saltwater bath isn't a sure fire way, because as the water reacts with the leads, it also corrodes them. Which can mean it will not fully discharge, and you won't be able to tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I've often read soaking them in salt water is the best way to kill them before disposal.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Like has been said, get a good charger. That's probably the most important thing you can do to ensure success.

Do not store them fully charged or discharged, they should be between 3.75-3.85v/cell. You can get a cell checker for like $10-20, they are pretty useful.

Beyond that just make sure to inspect for damage after every run, and for excessive puffiness. All lipos will puff a bit over time, but if the pack seems to be growing, it may be best to dispose of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearing View Post
My new batteries should be here in a week or so. I have done some reading and understand the dangers-bought two fire proof storage bags and such, but I would like some advice on the day to day usage and storage. Seems that you cannot store these topped off etc. so how do they work in the real world... (may be that I have put the cart in front of the horse here.)

Thanks in advance

Pat
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Yes, completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's old info that has since been disproven and may actually increase danger by providing a false reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Salt water will fully drain the battery, maybe. Honestly the best way I've found is just hook it up to an old truck headlight until it reads 0v.
The saltwater bath isn't a sure fire way, because as the water reacts with the leads, it also corrodes them. Which can mean it will not fully discharge, and you won't be able to tell.

^^
This

But without question, the best/easiest/safest way to dispose of them is by talking them any place recycles batteries. I take mine to the local Interstate battery store with the leads clipped and taped.

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 09-21-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yup, I only discharge them myself because I don't have anywhere close that will take them.

But if I know I'll be going to the "big city" I'll take them with. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Yes, completely

That's old info that has since been disproven and may actually increase danger by providing a flase reading.

^^
This

But without question, the best/easiest/safest way to dispose of them is by talking them any place recycles batteries. I take mine to the local Interstate battery store with the leads clipped and taped.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Roger that

Best way to discharge is just hooking it up to a 12V lighbulb - an old taillight bulb is perfect for the purpose.

Once they're at 0V you can toss them in the trash can.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Yes, completely

That's old info that has since been disproven and may actually increase danger by providing a false reading.
I sort of "felt" that it was after reading it.

I just read through that whole care & handling article you linked to in post #7, thanks for putting that up. As usual, I knew most but learned some.

I haven't ever practiced storage charging/discharging either, but I'm still tentatively considering rethinking it.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Huh, I just did the salt water soak a month back. Good to know not to do it anymore, thanks!
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
RCC Addict

All right, I drank the Kool-Aid (it was strawberry). Just ordered a Tenegy meter and a Bat-Safe. I don't have a concrete anything and have to charge at the desk in the dining room, so it didn't seem a horrible idea after watching batteries burn right through the bags I use (on video).

Now to figure out how the discharge function on my chargers work...
Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #18

I like to strike mine with a hatchet and watch them burn up. Then I know they're discharged.

An alternative is to bring them to the range with you and set them up in the dirt backstop as targets. A nice hollow point will do them in nicely, but usually even FMJ will do the job.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 AM   #19
RCC Addict

I had a fun weekend storage charging 14 batteries.

Have to admit, the Tenergy 5-in-1 meter is something I wish I would've had a long time ago, I really like it. Works great just to plug and check, but the fine balance function is good to have too, as well as the IR measurement function. I was a little surprised how much deviation in resistance there was between cells. Wish I would've checked when new.

Took the plunge and ordered some Lipo's, now I need advice... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered Spawn kit, questions/advice needes Smonkman Axial Wraith 26 07-18-2016 01:02 PM
Just ordered my kit...need advice Vitamin J Vaterra Twin Hammers 14 06-06-2016 09:47 PM
Ordered the Fastback II chassis. Any advice for the links ? Pygmy Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 01-12-2015 07:19 PM
Just ordered the Enroute/Berg Tracer...need advice. vti-chris General Crawlers 1 12-31-2009 12:00 PM
New to Lipo's...need some advice. BagoXCAlum Electronics 8 01-03-2009 07:33 PM