Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Allanon1965 tries out a Gen 8 Scout II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Allanon1965 tries out a Gen 8 Scout II

so, the 12mm magnets are not strong enough to suit me, I think it has to do with the small amount of contact area, so I ordered the 15mm magnets to see how they do, if these still aren't enough I will go with the n52 15mm version. The current version is n35 which is the weakest I found on eBay.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2019, 05:16 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Nice work, I was wondering what was interfering with the stock body fitment. I have a feeling its the curve you just cut. I'm still using the velcro but I may try dual lock next, the trick will be to use small enough pieces that you can still separate the body from the chassis without having to really yank.
Dual lock

I love this stuff, its heaps stronger than old fashion velcro. It has a very positive click when you snap them together.

Maybe another approach could be to trim this area on the body side instead of cutting the inner fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
so, the 12mm magnets are not strong enough to suit me, I think it has to do with the small amount of contact area, so I ordered the 15mm magnets to see how they do, if these still aren't enough I will go with the n52 15mm version. The current version is n35 which is the weakest I found on eBay.
If you had magnets on the top too it would increase the strength, that metal plate will work but it doesnt do any grabbing like a magnet will. If you did that and usd ring magnets they would also help to locate/center the body too.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-15-2019 at 05:21 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

I'm going to try the magnet route, but I've notice that if you just drop the body on straight from the top it doesn't fit well.

What I've found that works is to wedge in the front of the body first... and then pull the body onto the rear.

Another issue that I've found is that the center of the body that drops below the fender flares bumps into the side rails, preventing the body from going down further. If I stayed with the velcro, I'd trim that area. With the magnets, I'll have to see if it's still an issue.

Still going the magnet route though.

Last edited by soze; 02-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice work, I was wondering what was interfering with the stock body fitment. I have a feeling its the curve you just cut. I'm still using the velcro but I may try dual lock next, the trick will be to use small enough pieces that you can still separate the body from the chassis without having to really yank.
Dual lock

I love this stuff, its heaps stronger than old fashion velcro. It has a very positive click when you snap them together.

Maybe another approach could be to trim this area on the body side instead of cutting the inner fenders.

I looked at that but didnt feel there was enough material there to remove without weakening the mount

If you had magnets on the top too it would increase the strength, that metal plate will work but it doesnt do any grabbing like a magnet will. If you did that and usd ring magnets they would also help to locate/center the body too.

the problem with that is the countersunk ones placed in the position where they could be mounted will repel each other, I then have to rely on gluing them on and I want to stay away from that.. I also want to keep things as thin as possible so the body sits where it is supposed to height wise..

it is very close to being what I feel it needs so a bit larger or even stronger magnets will do it I think
Old 02-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'm going to try the magnet route, but I've notice that if you just drop the body on straight from the top it doesn't fit well.

What I've found that works is to wedge in the front of the body first... and then pull the body onto the rear.

Another issue that I've found is that the center of the body that drops below the fender flares bumps into the side rails, preventing the body from going down further. If I stayed with the velcro, I'd trim that area. With the magnets, I'll have to see if it's still an issue.

Still going the magnet route though.

yup, I trimmed the area above the sliders to eliminate that issue, cause the magnets let the body drop ever so slightly. I think stronger or larger diameter magnets will do the trick, its very close to that point right now
Old 02-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Got my replacement sticker sheet from red cat today and what a surprise! The black stickers are there, but so are WHITE ones! this means I can get a clear body and paint it up exactly like the scout I used to own! it was a kinda sky/powder blue with white stripes... great!!!!!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:06 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

I ordered a Holmes Hobbies 21t 550 can trailmaster sport. I took out the 17t stock and the only real difference is the shaft of the stock motor is a tad longer that the Holmes. It really doesnt make to much difference but it has the set screw on the pinion grabs about 95% of the shaft and the pinion grabs about 95% of the teeth on the spur. There wont be any issues with this and if it bothers anyone that much, you just have to get a different pinion.

The result of the transplant is the top speed is slightly slower but the low end resolution and creeping ability is much better. I will be testing this more as time goes on but I will be buying the HH torque master expert 21t 550 can motor soon to run in the gen 8 permanently.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Magnet on steel i find are a tad weak bond, but if you don't mind body being ejected in rolls it is fine.
I am planning on using magnet on magnet in the future, probably with 1 mm latex in between to ramp up friction ( this depend on how much your body can slide back and forth )

The Gen 8 look fine aside for the all painted body, hopefully there will be alternatives to that before i am able to buy one.

Also need some way to add weight low to compensate from what i hear are a heavy body just like on the TRX4 cars, but a little brass on the portals and axle should be able to fix that.

Maybe i just do the SSD portal axles on my 10.2, but i still need a wider body then to accommodate the wider portal axles.
Or maybe a change to a body style where i don't mind wheels poking out.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

well a little run today, body stayed on and the scout did well side hilling and crawling... the TSL's in predator compound do very well.
Attached Images

Last edited by allanon1965; 03-02-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Got my new magnets in finally, I think they had to mine the ore and make these, as long as it took....

You can see the size difference here. These seem to hold much better since I can now lift it by just the body and it holds. I can shake it a little and still stays on but if I shake hard, it will let go. If this turns into an issue I will get the same size in the N52 strength, the strongest listed. These are still the N35, the weakest listed.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

My friend are really dismissive about redcat scalers, almost hater like.
But he have just about any other scaler / brand out there.

I wish i had the money to buy one and prove him wrong, i can see this perform as good as any other portal truck out there, including my friends beloved TRX 4.
Hopefully they will get the few essential upgrade options that are good for any portal truck.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:02 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

I finally got a chance to get out to the crawler course today and the Scout did better than I expected it to. The biggest relief was when it took a nasty tumble down one of the hills rolling over and over all the way to the bottom. The magnets held the body on perfectly! No shifting or popping at all so I am pleased with them as they are now and will leave them be.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
My friend are really dismissive about redcat scalers, almost hater like.
But he have just about any other scaler / brand out there.

I wish i had the money to buy one and prove him wrong, i can see this perform as good as any other portal truck out there, including my friends beloved TRX 4.
Hopefully they will get the few essential upgrade options that are good for any portal truck.
Talking down the Red Cat Gen 8 is asinine.

It sounds more like your friend is worried the lowly Gen 8 might stomp a mud hole in his TRX4’s ass. 🤣

They’re scalers! It would be boring if everyone drove the same rig.

Variety is part of the fun. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Talking down the Red Cat Gen 8 is asinine.

It sounds more like your friend is worried the lowly Gen 8 might stomp a mud hole in his TRX4’s ass. 🤣

They’re scalers! It would be boring if everyone drove the same rig.

Variety is part of the fun. 👍🏼
For years, Redcat has been the "junk" brand that serious RCers avoided. No matter how good the Gen8 may be, it's going to take a certain amount of time for Redcat's reputation to evolve.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
For years, Redcat has been the "junk" brand that serious RCers avoided. No matter how good the Gen8 may be, it's going to take a certain amount of time for Redcat's reputation to evolve.
i bought my gen8 based off of my previose exsperiances with the redcat brand mine have been practicly bulletproof they do have limitations though and they will never perform a high end rig but there hard to match in the fun department

this is as close to social media as i get and i found redcat before i found this site so i dident have any outside infuences when i decided to buy the first redcat so my mind was made up before i ever herd anyone talk smack on the brand

when the gen8 came out and with the scout ii body i had to have one
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

What’s funny is, I’ve been into RC long enough that I can remember when people said the same thing about Traxxas.

I raced a TRX1 for 2 seasons in the 80s and you should have seen the way people turned their noses up at it. 🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #57

Quote:

What’s funny is, I’ve been into RC long enough that I can remember when people said the same thing about Traxxas.

I raced a TRX1 for 2 seasons in the 80s and you should have seen the way people turned their noses up at it. 🤣
Like Traxxas, Redcat's reputation will evolve as long as they continue to release new designs that have good quality. The Gen8 is an ambitious first effort for any company that's never designed their own RC before, and it speaks well of where they are headed. If Redcat can do the same thing with their basher line, I think that their brand as a whole will become a major force in the RC community, just like Traxxas did 20 years ago. Based on what Redcat is doing with their open source flight ESC software development (and how that mentality is flowing into their ground-based development & parts sharing via thingiverse) I think their overall business model going forward is going to end up catapulting them to a very good place within the next 5-10 years if they can maintain this trajectory. I guess we'll see.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I remember the same thing. I got crap from everyone for buying my Traxxas Bullet and still later when I picked up a Traxxas Hawk. Back then if it wasn't an Associated you sucked.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I got the 3d printed servo winch mount Saturday, I installed it today...fairly simple but ran into an issue I was unaware of before hand. If you have the stock body with the inner fender wells/mounts, you will have to cut away the center portion of the cross brace and remove the center screw and washer for the grill, for the servo winch to clear..also the bumper posts were a tad too narrow for the holes in the mount so I had to shave the outsides down about a mm or so...

After all that is done along with making a hole in the front bumper for the winch line, it works pretty well, i will have to figure out a way to tie the front inner fender wells back together for stability
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I have decided to sell the Gen8, it was a pretty good rig but after I got the HPI venture, I would rather put a few bucks in that instead, plus finish my big bubba ar60 6x6 oil field winch truck. The gen8 just wasnt good enough for what I wanted out of it. My biggest issue was oddly enough, the size. its just too big to suit my tastes.. but you never know until you try right?

Allanon1965 tries out a Gen 8 Scout II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat GEN 8 SCOUT shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 01-11-2019 06:42 PM
looking for Scout II or Scout 800 body oldblue Paint and Body 6 05-08-2010 08:25 AM