Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Blue Gen8 Scout II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Blue Gen8 Scout II

I went and got myself one from the LHS friday evening. As with most, I found the foams froze solid before I ever made it home. No worries, swapped some 4.75 MTRs on. Just a single pic before I went outside with it in the snow. No pics from that, I have a hard time remembering to document the fun while I'm having it.

More to follow
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Blue Gen8 Scout II

I like the blue too but I'm building another scout with a 3d printed body and it's going to be blue so I got orange.

Looks good with those wheels and tires.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I don't plan to trash the tires or anything, I just didn't feel like fiddling with beadlocks and foams when I was ready to play. I'm not a huge fan of the beadlocks or MTRs on it to be truthful, but they were sitting unused and mounted so on they went, in truth I think I want to run these motoworx and TSLs, but I was too lazy to remove them from my G6 to swap them over before heading outside haha.

I think these fit the scout much better
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Have any of the other gen8 owners with trucks in hand popped your shocks open to check fluid levels? My truck sits wonky out of the box. Also, how about portal boxes, diffs, etc to check grease? Mine runs pretty quiet but after watching a youtube video or two where guys found they had dry gears, I'm leaning toward cracking all mine open to be safe.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Have any of the other gen8 owners with trucks in hand popped your shocks open to check fluid levels? My truck sits wonky out of the box. Also, how about portal boxes, diffs, etc to check grease? Mine runs pretty quiet but after watching a youtube video or two where guys found they had dry gears, I'm leaning toward cracking all mine open to be safe.
Mine had plenty of shock oil & still hasn't leaked a drop. I actually really like the shocks on it. The diffs had plenty of grease, but the trans, t-case & portals were a little light on grease. I greased everything with marine grease.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
My shocks had oil, and Diffs were lubed. Its usually the first thing I do on any new rig as they never put enough in there. Not pulling the trans and transfer case until the steel gears area in stock so I can replace them at the same time.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

My driver front has a hard dive. I haven’t so much as cracked a shock I been too busy running it, but I’ll check it eventually.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #8

it could be due to the 3 link suspension. My Gen7 with the portals leans hard to the left under throttle. I haven't seen any of the Gen8s doing that, and I know the geometry is different in the Gen8, but it could still be an artifact of the 3 link & panhard geometry.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
it could be due to the 3 link suspension. My Gen7 with the portals leans hard to the left under throttle. I haven't seen any of the Gen8s doing that, and I know the geometry is different in the Gen8, but it could still be an artifact of the 3 link & panhard geometry.
I don't think its a geometry thing. Good buddy bought orange one same time I got my blue one and his doesn't have this behavior. I'm guessing just failure in QC of some kind, whether shock isn't adjusted correctly or fluid levels are off somehow. I'm sure its not something major, it hasn't bothered me enough to take time checking instead of running it haha

Blue Gen8 Scout II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen8 manual is up. Here's what we know Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 16 12-28-2018 02:13 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM