Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SVT is Gen-er 8-ing a new thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

Default Re: SVT is Gen-er 8-ing a new thread

Fantastic post, like always. I'm very impressed with your steering changes.

One thing that I noticed is that these tires don't seem to look and feel the same as what my Gen7 came with. My Gen7 tires are older and well broken-in now, but I don't recall them ever having the glossy finish that the Gen8 tires have. I was very impressed with the grip of the Gen7 tires, but unfortunately, these don't seem to be the same.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Nice job on the steering link. I still haven't gotten mine yet, (This week or next supposedly), but it really bugged me the way the steering setup looks off the bat. That's probably one of the first areas I'm going to tackle when I get mine.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #23

Nice fix on the steering, but this is one of those issues where I can't help, but think "Why didn't Redcat do that?" It's not like there would have been any cost increase to do it the right way.

The fender flares look much better - like they should.

These things just leave me with the feeling that 3/4 of the work was done on this truck and then it was released. Why didn't they go all the way with the engineering?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Nice fix on the steering, but this is one of those issues where I can't help, but think "Why didn't Redcat do that?" It's not like there would have been any cost increase to do it the right way.

These things just leave me with the feeling that 3/4 of the work was done on this truck and then it was released. Why didn't they go all the way with the engineering?
To leave us with something to modify and complain about. duh!
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Fantastic post, like always. I'm very impressed with your steering changes.

One thing that I noticed is that these tires don't seem to look and feel the same as what my Gen7 came with. My Gen7 tires are older and well broken-in now, but I don't recall them ever having the glossy finish that the Gen8 tires have. I was very impressed with the grip of the Gen7 tires, but unfortunately, these don't seem to be the same.
Thanks, the steering is much better now. Add in a solid tierod and it should be as good as any other truck.

Shame to hear the Gen 7 tires are better, you would think Redcat would want the best tires on their shiny new toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice job on the steering link. I still haven't gotten mine yet, (This week or next supposedly), but it really bugged me the way the steering setup looks off the bat. That's probably one of the first areas I'm going to tackle when I get mine.
Definitely a good first area to tackle, if your truck is ever delivered.

Quote:

Thanks simple mods suit this truck well.

I'm sure every questionable design decision was a combination of compromise to fit in another feature, desire to be different, and the average buyer likely not caring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
To leave us with something to modify and complain about. duh!
Complain?

My only complaint is there isn't enough to complain about and that angries up my blood!
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Shame to hear the Gen 7 tires are better, you would think Redcat would want the best tires on their shiny new toy.
The memory is a strange thing. Maybe they're the same and I'm just having a senior moment, but I really don't recall the tires being this shiny on the Gen7.

I just went back and re-watched my first Gen7 video, and those tires aren't anywhere near as glossy as the new ones.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The memory is a strange thing. Maybe they're the same and I'm just having a senior moment, but I really don't recall the tires being this shiny on the Gen7.

I just went back and re-watched my first Gen7 video, and those tires aren't anywhere near as glossy as the new ones.
Give them a good soak in simple green, get rid of that release agent. They’ll be just fine for an RTR
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Great thread, svt...honest and objective but hilarious and sardonic as always. Test area looked comfortably familiar . Nice fender fix.

I only have one question...how did the fish oil tablets taste? Fishy?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
They were for my dog so I passed your question along, she stared at me confused and stupid looking. All questions should now be answered.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The motor feels underpowered even on 3S and the generous gear reduction and the servo fully stalled on more than a few occasions...
I found the same thing, and also found the drag brake to be somewhat lacking. Swapping on a 12 tooth pinion pretty much fixed it.
monsterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Great thread, svt...honest and objective but hilarious and sardonic as always. Test area looked comfortably familiar . Nice fender fix.

His fenders are a MILLION times better - but I'd like to try the bolt on fenders made for the old Axial Jeep Rubicon on a clear Redcat body and trim the Lexan to fit.

Hey, RC4WD makes aluminum ones, and CC Hand makes STEEL ones with inside-the-body reinforcements!

Quote:
They were for my dog so I passed your question along, she stared at me confused and stupid looking. All questions should now be answered.
BTW - My fish oil capsules don't taste fishy, I recommend the golden translucent ones - but I think they might be making my pee stink more...

(maybe that's just from getting to be an old man)

I hope RedCat reads this thread so that they can implement svt923's steering fix(es) and reward him with a shower of gold!

(...en coins.)

On second thought, maybe they shouldn't read this thread, 'cuz it sure has been surreal at times.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #32

Quote:

I may need to retract my comments about the tires. Though I still don't remember my Gen7 tires being this shiny, a person on the Gen8 FB group posted pics of his Gen8 tires that he's been using next to the unused spare, and the used tires seem to look 100% the same as the used tires on my Gen7. It must be that unlike with my Gen8, I got the Gen7 out into the wild almost immediately upon getting it out of the box, whereas because the Gen8 arrived in the middle of a Vermont winter, all I can do with that one is look at it.

Carry on.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:49 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
His fenders are a MILLION times better - but I'd like to try the bolt on fenders made for the old Axial Jeep Rubicon on a clear Redcat body and trim the Lexan to fit.

Hey, RC4WD makes aluminum ones, and CC Hand makes STEEL ones with inside-the-body reinforcements!
Just not the awful fenders from the Dingo, those look bad on everything.

Quote:
I hope RedCat reads this thread so that they can implement svt923's steering fix(es) and reward him with a shower of gold!

(...en coins.)
As long as they fix the steering and keep the fish oil intake to a minimum

Quote:
This thread needs more GIFs to keep my attention or else I stop reading.

Quote:
I may need to retract my comments about the tires. Though I still don't remember my Gen7 tires being this shiny, a person on the Gen8 FB group posted pics of his Gen8 tires that he's been using next to the unused spare, and the used tires seem to look 100% the same as the used tires on my Gen7. It must be that unlike with my Gen8, I got the Gen7 out into the wild almost immediately upon getting it out of the box, whereas because the Gen8 arrived in the middle of a Vermont winter, all I can do with that one is look at it.

Carry on.
Noted, let the record reflect I am now not impressed by the Gen 7 tires as well.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Just not the awful fenders from the Dingo, those look bad on everything.

As long as they fix the steering and keep the fish oil intake to a minimum

This thread needs more GIFs to keep my attention or else I stop reading.

Noted, let the record reflect I am now not impressed by the Gen 7 tires as well.
I stand by my opinion that they work great on my Gen7 with standard foams. The Gen7 was able to climb up all sorts of inclines that my Bomber couldn't do with the original R35 kit tires.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
His fenders are a MILLION times better
Agreed!

Quote:
golden translucent ones...making my pee stink more...shower of gold...
There's that fetish surfacing again!

Pretty sure this rig will be the next purchase, although I'm on a buying high anus right now. I can remain vicarious through svt and OSRC for quite awhile though.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Agreed!

There's that fetish surfacing again!

Pretty sure this rig will be the next purchase, although I'm on a buying high anus right now. I can remain vicarious through svt and OSRC for quite awhile though.
What is a buying high anus? LMAO
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Ive heard of buying hiatus, but a buying high anus is a new one on me. Sounds like it has to do with prostitution
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
What is a buying high anus? LMAO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
Ive heard of buying hiatus, but a buying high anus is a new one on me. Sounds like it has to do with prostitution
It's very much like a hiatus in scope, but the driving factor is where the difference can be found; meaning, it's where you have bills jammed up your posterior so far you freeze your credit cards in blocks of ice and stop opening emails from RPP.

Prostitution would actually generate income if executed properly so that would be more of an antithesis.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It's very much like a hiatus in scope, but the driving factor is where the difference can be found; meaning, it's where you have bills jammed up your posterior so far you freeze your credit cards in blocks of ice and stop opening emails from RPP.

Prostitution would actually generate income if executed properly so that would be more of an antithesis.
And here I thought you just had a problem with 7 foot tall hookers.

Although based on all those bills you mention, that may still be the case.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have you ever driven a scout ?
Bump stear and slop are the name of the game lol
There just try8n to be scale
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

SVT is Gen-er 8-ing a new thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM
Ford Raptor SVT 1/6 eliasser Scale Videos! 1 04-17-2014 10:36 AM
Gearing...ing...ing...ing o0wiz0o Axial Wraith 20 06-03-2012 03:59 PM
deja vu all ****ing over again. school shootings ****ing suck Slyp Dawg Chit Chat 4 02-15-2008 08:08 AM