Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Important info for Gen8 owners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #1

Default Important info for Gen8 owners

Thanks to Triple X RC Garage on YouTube I found out the portal gears on the gen8 are bone dry. They without a doubt need to be greased. If you go on his channel on YouTube he shows you how to do it, being rather easy you simply take your wheel off, take out the 6 screws around the portal and add grease.
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Important info for Gen8 owners

Thanks for the heads up, my rear portal gears were greased, however lightly. But the front gears were dry..
b17fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Mine had some grease in them but not to my liking so I put some Lucas Red & Sticky in them. It’s pretty easy job, like was mentioned take the wheel off remove the 6 screws add some grease then reverse the prodeedure.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 PM   #4

Lubing everything made mine noticeably quieter.
Ollalaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yes but that doesn't prevent the portal gears from braking. Yes end points are set properly.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Lightbulb Re: Important info for Gen8 owners

I believe the portal gears break easily inside the cheap,weak plastic that the gears are supported by. I bought all the aluminum upgrades....had to wait for the aluminum knuckles for month to come over on the boat from China....I had paid for these in advance....they were on back order. The day after I recieved them hot racing released their brass portal outers that work on the plastic knuckles which are an absolute joke for strength once you add the extra weight. I ended up epoxying the void in plastic knuckles which lasted for a few hard runs. Then a month or so later got racing released their brass knuckles to pair up with their brass outer... why the delay???? Pretty lame in my opinion. Any I had faith,and more money then I wanted too... to give up 9n these underdog portals. That being said, I have all the redcat aluminum upgrades on the rear portal minus the center section,and aluminum upgrades on the front with the brass hot racing knuckles with their outer brass cover. I have yet to break any gears or anything in the portals since. I'm running these on an original scx 10 chassis with scx trans and a 2200 kv Holmes hobbies brushless puller motor with a 56 spur and 12t pinion....great low end capability with decent wheel speed to bump up obstacles. All this rig needs now is a transmission with fro t overdrive.....stay tuned for picks....as it's been year's since I've posted.
J-FAB NOR-CAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

My portal gears on my PACK Gen8 were greased, but only lightly. I haven't done much else to it, but intend to do a full strip down now I have time. A bit bad since I bought the PACK in May, but have been finishing off my Venture SBK.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

My portals were greased, but with a very thin grease. I wiped them clean and put in some marine grease. I don't plan on taking it through any water, but just in case. Does anyone know how to get the transmission to quiet down? After I greased the portals they were silent, but that transmission is driving me crazy!! I've heard buying the aftermarket gears helps reduce noise, but I haven't tried that yet.
miah13007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by miah13007 View Post
I've heard buying the aftermarket gears helps reduce noise, but I haven't tried that yet.
I heard the same thing. Metal gears and a good mesh with the pinion and spur will quiet it down. I have the stock spur with a HH crawlmaster 12t and it doesn't seem too loud. Not as quiet as my stock TRX4, but quieter than my scx10ii with a castle and metal gears.
xtreme4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So is it the portal gears that need to be greased, or is it also the loud transmission? Sorry to be replying to an old thread. I searched how to quiet the loud Gen 8 transmission and it brought me here

Last edited by CD02; 11-02-2020 at 08:56 AM.
CD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Greasing might help a bit, but steel gears will always be noisy.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #12

Any suggestions on what grease to use for a newbie. I have so many question, my head is spinning. What I do for my boy. Labor of love.
Mario385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Marine grease is a common product used.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:39 PM   #14

Thanks vinceherman! Any suggestion on how much and what brand to buy? I am VERY new to this.

Last edited by Mario385; 12-04-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Mario385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:41 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario385 View Post
Thanks vinceherman! Any suggestion on how much and what brand to buy? I am VERY new to this.
As mentioned above, marine grease is pretty typical. I used Amsoil synthetic marine grease because that's what I had on hand (stuff works great). 3 out of 4 of my portal gear units were just about bone dry. I just wiped out as much of any old stuff as possible, then covered the large gear with grease real good and reassembled. Also check your ring gears, my front had a lot of grease, the rear not sot much. Again, cleaned out as much old stuff as I could get to and then liberally coated the rings gear with marine grease.

HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gen8, portals

Important info for Gen8 owners - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VERY IMPORTANT INFO for Mini MOAB CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 7 05-04-2010 11:54 AM
Gsrc: Club Info Important!!! Mav-1981 Missouri 27 07-10-2008 06:46 PM
***Important Info for Holiday Orders*** JohnRobHolmes Vendors Miscellaneous 1 12-22-2007 08:23 PM
*IMPORTANT Nationals info!!!* jason General Crawlers 1 07-07-2006 05:09 PM
*IMPORTANT Nationals info!!!* jason RC Rock Crawling Worlds 0 07-07-2006 10:39 AM