Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: anyone break anything on the gen8 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: anyone break anything on the gen8 yet

Well after putting the SSD lower link mounts on. I decided to try the cat again.
NOPE!!! I broke both portal gears and split the rear axle case and rear portal cover. I'm done. Time for it to go.
I can't drive it like I drive my Axial rigs.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Mines still going strong. Stock motor is starting to make some noise, but its been submerged more times than I should probably admit. I did replace the servo with the 25kg hex fly offering from redcat. Seems to work just fine. I've got about 20 hours of runtime on it at this point.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Well after putting the SSD lower link mounts on. I decided to try the cat again.
NOPE!!! I broke both portal gears and split the rear axle case and rear portal cover. I'm done. Time for it to go.
I can't drive it like I drive my Axial rigs.
oh come on man were the carnage pics

lol
also fair to say when i went brushless with my wraith i ate axles and gears also with the wraith only using that as a comparison cause it was a rtr also my othe4 axials are custom builds anyway the wraith cost me $1000 or more to get to the point that it dident break on every run ive had the redcat for 5 months and have less than $100 in to it and hundr3ads of runs on it i run it every bit as hard as the wraith but its not brushless i wouldent even go there with out metal axle housings and steel gears and some good strong front shafts

i wish there were potmetal axles for the g8 weres extra peeed whan you need them lol

Last edited by ferp420; 08-24-2019 at 07:34 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:36 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Sorry my bro is the picture hound. It is a great truck since it is their first in house design. I was going to turn the battery sideways right behind the gearbox to help on some of our really steep hill climbs but it got traded yesterday at a meet.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:32 PM   #45

My stock servo failed after about a month. It started to jitter and not respond, then a few days later it was done. I filed a warranty claim and Redcat sent out a new one the next day with no questions asked. I'm running the replacement now but will probably replace with a nicer servo if it fails again.
nerdnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #46

Had a rear axle blow on me yesterday. 5 Minutes into the trail. What a way to ruin a weekend hike. Got a Treal full metal axle coming my way now because for some reason the official redcat axle is more expensive. Treal is much higher quality.

Besides that, I haven't broken anything except my servo and a wheel. That's with 50+ hours and 40 or so miles.

Yes, I tried epoxying it It works until I touched a tree branch then it blew up again LOL.

Last edited by vekenti; 09-09-2019 at 08:45 AM.
vekenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:41 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

i broke my controler lol not realy part of the gen 8 but it came with it i steped on it and broke the trigger off i tryed gleing it back on and it work3d for a few runs but i ended up using the old pos tactic radio the steering dosent center any more the spring mechanism broke but its kinda nice for slow crawling
Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

So I let the kids drive my stock redcat and my trx4. Guess which one they broke?

Nope the Traxxas. Burnt up the portal gears.

I did however fry the aftermarket steel top portal gear on my gen8. Caught a root and didn't notice. Honestly I might just go back to my modified axles. They have been working better. Also with a Dremel I relieved the inside of the housing where the axle exits on the chub. The reason Traxxas has such a big hole in the c is because he axles move while stearing. With the smaller hole on the redcat the axles bind and is part of the breakage issues.

I relieved axle shaft where the portal CV cup has been binding. Then it actually freely goes to 47 degrees as advertised. I noticed the upgrade set are made that way and I believe is the issues with the axles.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

Last edited by mgputer; 10-02-2019 at 10:19 AM.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:25 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
So I let the kids drive my stock redcat and my trx4. Guess which one they broke?

Nope the Traxxas. Burnt up the portal gears.

I did however fry the aftermarket steel top portal gear on my gen8. Caught a root and didn't notice. Honestly I might just go back to my modified axles. They have been working better. Also with a Dremel I relieved the inside of the housing where the axle exits on the chub. The reason Traxxas has such a big hole in the c is because he axles move while stearing. With the smaller hole on the redcat the axles bind and is part of the breakage issues.

I relieved axle shaft where the portal CV cup has been binding. Then it actually freely goes to 47 degrees as advertised. I noticed the upgrade set are made that way and I believe is the issues with the axles.

ha ha the traxxass let go first lol

thats a great job on those axle shafts please let us know how this set up holds up that might just be the trick

oh ya i broke a slider to lol
Old 10-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #50

Noticed my first breakage today. Left rear shock shaft is bent. Looks like time for shock upgrade now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
LimPSHoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

you can straighten it out and it will still work fine

atleast till the new ones come in
Old 10-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #52

Yeah, will try that. Ordered new ssd shocks today.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #53

Lets see. Brother and I purchased two Redcat Gen 8s back in July. So the warranty has just expired.

Breaks / Fails on Blue Scout - Steering servo. Receiver. Steering knuckle screws falling out on the trail, losing the kingpin bushings. Velcro on body has failed (no biggie) (receiver and servo were replaced under warranty)
Breaks / Fails on Orange Scout - Rear portal axle housings have broken off (both sides). Front CV shaft cup on portal axle has broken.

Biggest pain? You have to order everything online. Local hobby shop rarely has replacement parts in stock.

They're pretty cool rigs. But seem a little fragile. I have an Axial SCX10 II Cherokee too, and it seems to be far more durable.
fursphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursphere View Post
Lets see. Brother and I purchased two Redcat Gen 8s back in July. So the warranty has just expired.

Breaks / Fails on Blue Scout - Steering servo. Receiver. Steering knuckle screws falling out on the trail, losing the kingpin bushings. Velcro on body has failed (no biggie) (receiver and servo were replaced under warranty)
Breaks / Fails on Orange Scout - Rear portal axle housings have broken off (both sides). Front CV shaft cup on portal axle has broken.

Biggest pain? You have to order everything online. Local hobby shop rarely has replacement parts in stock.

They're pretty cool rigs. But seem a little fragile. I have an Axial SCX10 II Cherokee too, and it seems to be far more durable.
wait theres a warrenty on these things what no but seriosly

turn the duel rate down on the steering your servo is straining trying to force the shaft in to the portal gear causeng failure of both the gear and the servo also thats probably why the screw came out your lucky the arm dident snap off the knuckle

they sell aluminum portal housings for $12 a pop on ebay you need 2
i buy all my parts online for all my rigs there cheaper that way

Last edited by ferp420; 10-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursphere View Post

Everything here (minus receiver) plus two motors...…....On my Gen 7 w/portal axle kit. I've had the truck one month.....LOL! I do wheel it a lot (too much) and I'm not easy on it..............Not complaining just saying.
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

Had mine for the past 3-4 months:

- axle housing ripping apart after getting tangled in some fishing line (replaced the entire rear axle portals, differential housing, etc., with Redcat aluminum parts)

- rock sliders (have metal ones now)

- motor (too many water submerged outings, replaced with Holmes 21t 550 trailmaster)

- off/on switch for ESC broke off (cheap plastic IMO), now I have a Hobbywing 1080.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #57
Rock Stacker

& I thought I drive it like I stole it lol

Thankfully only my link mounts which needed new axle housing. Buddy fell off a cliff atleast 20' drop to death
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsplat79 View Post
Had mine for the past 3-4 months:

- axle housing ripping apart after getting tangled in some fishing line (replaced the entire rear axle portals, differential housing, etc., with Redcat aluminum parts)

- rock sliders (have metal ones now)

- motor (too many water submerged outings, replaced with Holmes 21t 550 trailmaster)

- off/on switch for ESC broke off (cheap plastic IMO), now I have a Hobbywing 1080.
how you like the new motor? I think it might be my next upgrade.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #59

Yeah broke the CV portal axle. Let me nephew drive it lmao. Also ran one 3s pack through it and blew apart the redcat steel HD driveshafts. https://youtu.be/x_MbjgugjX8

I have been thinking about upgrading the electronics as well be curious on people’s experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lridescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimPSHoT View Post
how you like the new motor? I think it might be my next upgrade.
I really like it! Has good torque and is very smooth in it's power delivery. I feel that going from a 17t to a 21t I lost some wheel speed. I'm going to switch to 3s and see if that helps.
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote

anyone break anything on the gen8 yet - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First video of my Gen8 FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 5 02-01-2019 07:42 AM
Gen8 sorrca class? FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 11 01-21-2019 06:30 AM
Gen8 manual is up. Here's what we know Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 16 12-28-2018 02:13 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM