Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 horrific steering... tell me there is a solution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Default Gen7 horrific steering... tell me there is a solution

This truck is a piece of crap.

Ive tried and tried and tried. I even went to the portal axles to see if that solved the problem.

The sales guys at redcat said it would. How the **** do you sell a truck that you know doesnt turn one direction?

The portals keep the lack of steering but add a new bind. What a fricking joke.

Does anyone please for dear God know of a solution for the lack of steering?

I heard there is a plate that moves the steering servo back about 2/3 inch but I cant find anything more.

Please oh please someone let me know
Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen7 horrific steering... tell me there is a solution

wow so whats the problem exsacly what axles are you running
you might be exspecting to much fron the cat the gen7 uses a clone of axial axle and have the same design flaw the og scx10 had there is a fix but im thinking you put the gen8 axles under it and they have a pretty good turning radius

so what exsacly is your pproblem
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

I started with a stock truck. Then after searching here etc and finding no solution. SOmeone suggested the redcat portal axle would fix it.

So I called redcat and they said they were aware of the issue and the portal axle would solve it.

So thats what I did. Problem is still there. It turns one way fine, but the other it barely turns the amount that can be negated by slop in the linkage. And if I try to negate it in the servo, it just cant turn the wheel enough. Its a geometry problem.

There are posts all over and youtube vids all over.

The closest vid with a solution mentioned moving the servo backwards 2/3 inch...But I dont have a plethora of odd servo mounts to see what fits or can be adapted.

So unless someone has a kit solution....
Old 12-27-2021, 07:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

well ive used multiple versions of redcat axles the e10 gen7 and gen8 and windigo axles and ive never had those problems so im still not sure what the issue is
what set up do you have did you get new steering links if the steering link is attached to the crossbar and not to the top of the knucle that would cause a lot of problems
are the link mounts on the axles tight thats another sorce of steering slop

there shouldent be any binding if there set up right it kinda sounds like your blaming redcat for operator error
if you have pictures of the link set up and or a video of your issue im sure someone will see the problem and have a solution
with out pictures we have no idea what you did or how you did it
Old 12-27-2021, 07:28 PM   #5

Im glad you have used so many axles.

I am not even close the only person with the issues. Even on this forum there are posts.

Again go look at youtube and see vids and see how they talk about the problem.

even the binding with the portal on the gen7, the portal thread here on this forum goes into it in detail.

So what is your solution for the steering fix? I do not believe you that you run it as it came out of the box.
Old 12-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

if you still had the original axles you could have done a xr mod and had more steering than is usable
the gen8 axles you take alittle material off the shafts and pivits and you can max out the steering with out poping gears
now the gen7 and the gen8 are different animals as is the e10 the everest 10 they mount the servo on the axle
for a direct conection but those are the same as the gen7 axles also basicly the same as og scx10 axles

now if i understand you have gen8 axles on your gen7 right so
is it 4linked in the front or 3 linked up front how is thle steeri g links set up i know its not stock if you changed the axles did you make new links or are you trying to use the originals if you are trying to use the originals DONT make new ones custon from 1/8"all thread and stainless steal tubing 4mm id 6mm od is perfict dont fall for club 5 crap it wont help
pick up some new rodends the ones it comes with are junk
make sure your link mounts on the axle are tight and make sure your servo horn isent striped out and your servo is centered before you put the new servo horn on

keep in mind this isent you tube we can actualy help so much of what is on you tube is crap information and thats why your here most likely we can solve any issue you have no matter what truck your building even if its a 1 off scratch build but we need some information from you picturs and video work best
Old 12-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

to be honest the sxc10ii axles would be your best axle swap for the gen7 since the gen7 is still a axial clone so going with axial parts that were originaly designed for that vary chassie makes alot more sence than swaping in a axle thats desined to fit a completely different chassie the gen 8 axles take some custom work to swap in to the gen7 they werent designed for eachother
Old 12-27-2021, 08:21 PM   #8

I’m using the redcat portal axle for the gen7 and they include suspension links.

https://www.redcatracing.com/product...32461446676570
Old 12-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
to be honest the sxc10ii axles would be your best axle swap for the gen7 since the gen7 is still a axial clone so going with axial parts that were originaly designed for that vary chassie makes alot more sence than swaping in a axle thats desined to fit a completely different chassie the gen 8 axles take some custom work to swap in to the gen7 they werent designed for eachother
So the sxc10ii axles will bolt in and allow full left and right steering?
Old 12-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #10

Im starting to wonder if I have the "V1" of these portals. They were from 2020...

The link I posted says version 2.... Im going to send redcat another email and see if I have the first version...Its going to piss me off if they had to redo them and didnt say anything.
Old 12-28-2021, 03:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty View Post
So the sxc10ii axles will bolt in and allow full left and right steering?
nothing will allow full right and left sterring if its set up wrong

if your not getting full left and full right steering than you did something wrong dont blame someone else for your failures take a deep breath and relax take a few pictures maybe a video of your issue im sure we can help you fix your problem

from what your saying it sounds like a simple adjustment

to adjust your steering take the metal servo horn off.the servo if you have a plastic servo horn thatz most likely your problem but asuming you do already have a metal servo horn take it off the servo and zero out the servo and use the steering adjuster on the controler to zero it out and make sure the duel range knob on the controler is set to full then put the servo horn back on making sure the wheels are centered the best you can and then bolt it back down then fine tune with the adjuster knob on the controler

beyond adjusting the.steering through and making sure everything is tight and nothing is moving that shouldent be moving we need.pics if you need more help remeber every rig is differant your gen7 isent the same.as anyone elses gen7 so we realy do need more information like a picture to give any meaning full advice

Last edited by ferp420; 12-28-2021 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:13 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

any 1/10th scale axle will bolt on to the gen7 chassie or any chassie for that matter the chassie used on the gen7 is originaly made as a upgrade for the axial scx10 so ya scx10ii axles will bolt up with out any modification to the axle or chassie but your sterring issue isent with the axles its your set up
Old 12-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #13

Someone suggested that my servo may be faulty and not turning all the way to one direction no matter where I put the arm.

They suggested an ecopower wp120T as a replacement....

What do you think?

Id like to post a video, but I lost the screw going into the servo (m3- and dont have another.

I went online to buy another screw (get a pack of screws) and the guy there is who told me about the servo issue.

What do you think of that servo?
Old 12-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #14

I’m trying to figure out how to post pictures. But there isn’t a link here. I’d have to host them somewhere and then post a link to them.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

its vary posable your servo failed they do that if it wont turn both ways with the steering arm disconected than ya most likely a servo
i like the ds brand servos the 25kg version they run about 15-20 bucks on line for a gen7 on 1.9 wheels they last along time
alot of people use the eco power servos but i personaly never have

most people use ether imgur or tapatalk for pic hosting i use imgbox its less libral than imgur but not as user freindly you could always post a you tube video to and post a link
Old 12-30-2021, 02:30 PM   #16

New servo in… as well as the reefs drop servo that said helped…

So I figured out the problem… the link from the servo arm to the knuckle… the “heim” at the servo arm is so articulated that it binds when turning left.

The reef servo horn helps a little and has restored a little bit of left turning…

I ordered some brass links from rcaddict. That link has a bend in it and I hope a heim with more articulation.

So we shall see.

This is far from an install or set up error. This is a “this shit wasn’t designed right”… hopefully these new parts will allow the geometry to work.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
New servo in… as well as the reefs drop servo that said helped…

So I figured out the problem… the link from the servo arm to the knuckle… the “heim” at the servo arm is so articulated that it binds when turning left.

The reef servo horn helps a little and has restored a little bit of left turning…

I ordered some brass links from rcaddict. That link has a bend in it and I hope a heim with more articulation.

So we shall see.

This is far from an install or set up error. This is a “this shit wasn’t designed right”… hopefully these new parts will allow the geometry to work.
so you tryed to use the links they sent you ha ha ha dont do that

dont get brass links thats like droping a anchor on the rocks just as bad as aluminum

if there upper links then your putting to much waight to high on the rig
this is a tottal set up error

one trick ive used when a rod end binds up because the angle is to steep is to heat and bend the rodend about 15° but with out a picture i cant realy say if it wil help they also sell pre bent rod ends cheap

next your gona be saying you installed something from club5

it sounds to me like your getting some bad advice from somewere

Last edited by ferp420; 12-30-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #18

Sorry nope and nope. Only bad advice I’ve gotten so far is from you. Every single piece I’ve received elsewhere has shown results.
The only advice you have given that may net a result is bending the link.

With any luck a new set of steering links with better ends will maximize what it can do.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry nope and nope. Only bad advice I’ve gotten so far is from you. Every single piece I’ve received elsewhere has shown results.
The only advice you have given that may net a result is bending the link.

With any luck a new set of steering links with better ends will maximize what it can do.
well if you cant figure out one of the simplest rcs on the market maybe you should stick to toygrade rcs

this might not be the right hobby for you

enjoy
Old 01-02-2022, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
well if you cant figure out one of the simplest rcs on the market maybe you should stick to toygrade rcs

this might not be the right hobby for you

enjoy
+1

redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen7 horrific steering... tell me there is a solution - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering link solution? Crutch RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 08-14-2014 04:36 PM
Who would be interested? Solution for hydro steering Moorin90 General Scale Talk 62 10-23-2013 05:51 PM
Most horrific day of my driving career. offroad1911 Chit Chat 29 08-08-2007 03:25 PM
My waterproofing solution! nd4spdbh Electronics 9 08-04-2007 11:59 PM
Jb Weld Solution loanshark General Crawlers 8 02-22-2007 02:31 PM