Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: anyone break anything on the gen8 yet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default anyone break anything on the gen8 yet

Im ordering my gen8 and im woundering what failures people are having with these rigs so i can get some parts ordered

Last edited by ferp420; 02-01-2019 at 12:11 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: anyone break anything on the gen8 yet

I have ran mine hard on 3s and everything is great. Even in the Sub-Zero temps. My only complaint is the Velcro. It doesn't stay on out of the box.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Steering link and rock slider. 23* the day it happened.
No problems with the velcro.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Another steering link today and the cup in the portal that the cv axle rides in has cracked and the pin is gone
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So that would be the upper portal gear then right i know they have new ones but i dont know it there any stronger than the originals
Old 02-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Not the gear. All gears are fine.
Other side where the axle comes into the portal. I don't know if the cup was cracked or the pin bent shearing off a piece of the cup where the pin holds the axle in.
I was pushing/running it very hard today. Not backing/letting down. Trail run with a lot of big roots and rocks. I let it bounce on and off of everything in its path. Now if I would have been driving normal I seriously don't think the axle failure would've happened. I really like the Gen 8.
I have a fix for the weak steering link so no worries there. I just need to fix the axle so I can try my new steering link.

Last edited by cul8tr; 02-03-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The shafts go strait in to the gears so if the cup broke and the cup is built in to the upper gear in tbe portal box then you broke the gear

Old 02-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Your right sorry about that. dadgum I've had another dumb attack. LOL!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Your right sorry about that. dadgum I've had another dumb attack. LOL!!!
Thanks for posting that was one of the parts i was worring about it just looks weak

Ill make sure to order extra ones

I realy hope someone steps up and makes stronger ones
Old 02-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Thanks for posting that was one of the parts i was worring about it just looks weak

Ill make sure to order extra ones

I realy hope someone steps up and makes stronger ones
The design shouldn't be weak. The only weak part is the area between the pin hole and the edge, which is no different than any CV axle. The issue here is that they're using a sintered metal manufacturing process instead of a more robust manufacturing method. Hopefully the aftermarket will make some that are stronger.

I will say that these are a big improvement over the upper gear design from the beta portals.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The design shouldn't be weak. The only weak part is the area between the pin hole and the edge, which is no different than any CV axle. The issue here is that they're using a sintered metal manufacturing process instead of a more robust manufacturing method. Hopefully the aftermarket will make some that are stronger.

I will say that these are a big improvement over the upper gear design from the beta portals.
That design itself looks weak i cant count how many of those style of joints ive broken the entire design is weak no matter what its made of hardend steal works better but still to get the strangth needed for that joint to hold up it would have to be twice the size like the mip shafts there huge compared to
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Portal gear.
I checked my end points as recommended by a tech from Redcat. Yep I had to back down the end point.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:23 AM   #13

I broke my pinion gear in the front axle. Wasn’t really pushing it hard either. Ate 6 teeth off of it. It didn’t seem to hurt the ring gear though. I didn’t pull the rear axle apart yet. I was tooling around the yard and it sort of hesitated. I had just put on steel rally wheels, so I thought the body was hitting the wheels. I checked it and it wasn’t. I ran it in forward and reverse and it didn’t happen again, for about 20 or 30 ft. Then it did it again. I backed up and went forward and all seemed ok. Drove around for ten to fifteen minutes or so and was driving it back to the garage and it just stopped and wouldn’t move. It just sort of raised up on the drivers side front. So I asked on the Gen8 Facebook page and was told to stop trying to make it move as the pinion gear was broken. They said if I had continued to try and free it up that I could hurt the transfer case. So I pulled it apart and the guy was right. Filed a warranty claim with Redcat and they asked for a picture of the broken part and oddly enough for their part number. I sent them a pic and they immediately approved it and sent me one out. I’m waiting for it to arrive. I hope the new one is of a stronger more hardened metal. I also bought several on Amazon.
Jfulwider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #14

I broke the pinion gear in the front differential. I wasn’t doing anything crazy with it either. Just sort of tooling around the yard. It started when I got started after putting on 1.9 steel rally wheels. I set it down and it kind of went a little ways and sort of stopped abruptly. I thought the tires were hitting the body as I just put the wheels on. So I picked it up and checked it over. Set it back down and it did ok for about 30 feet or so. I then put it in reverse and back into forward and it didn’t happen again. Was outside for roughly 15 minutes just going around the yard and through puddles and into water in the ditch. Came back to go into the garage and it bound up again and wouldn’t move at all. So I asked if anyone had had this issue on the Gen8 FB page and a guy said STOP. Don’t keep trying to unbind it, because you’ll hurt the transfer case. He said your pinion gear is broken. So I pulled it off and sure enough he was right. Six teeth of the 11 were gone or partially gone. It didn’t seem to hurt the ring gear though, and I haven’t pulled the rear axle apart to check it. Filed a warranty claim with Redcat and they asked for pictures of the broken part and oddly enough their part number for the gear...... I see them a pic and they immediately approved it and sent me out a new one. I’m just waiting on it to arrive. I also purchased several from Amazon, for future use.
Jfulwider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The only thing that has stopped working, is one of the servo extensions inside the receiver box.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Sweet i have portal and pinnion gears on the way amain kicks but a few questions
How thick are the wheel hexs and how much thread is left after nut is on
Mine is still in the closet in the box lol for a few more weeks its a bday present so i cant open it till then lol but i want to have all my parts lined up for when i do get it out and break it
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #17

The wheel hexes are around 4 or 5mm. There's a lot of thread exposed, so wider hexes won't be a problem.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Well ad to my list of broken parts. Broke a portal gear/CV cup. Playing in the snow and the front wheel caught traction and she went snap.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
How thick are the wheel hexs and how much thread is left after nut is on

I put on 8mm Wheel hex's and theres about 1mm of thread left with the wheels I'm using.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I put on 8mm Wheel hex's and theres about 1mm of thread left with the wheels I'm using.
thank you sir there on there way

anyone break anything on the gen8 yet - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First video of my Gen8 FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 5 02-01-2019 07:42 AM
Gen8 sorrca class? FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 11 01-21-2019 06:30 AM
Gen8 manual is up. Here's what we know Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 16 12-28-2018 02:13 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM