Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 Gearing Chart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Gen 8 Gearing Chart

I like gearing charts. I like when the people that make the truck do the work for me and tell me the gear ratios available. Unfortunately, the best you get with the Gen 8 is a blurb on their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat Racing
easy fitment of 9T to 23T pinion gear allowing gear ratios of 28.12 to 71.85
Not too informative.

So I went through the manual and spare parts descriptions and came up with this:

As you can see, unless the Gen 8 manual and spare parts listings are wrong on the gear teeth counts (which they may be, I haven't opened up my truck to actually count) the gear ratios range from 35.78 to 91.44 not what the website says.

Hopefully this helps other nerds like me that need to know their gear ratio.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gen 8 Gearing Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I like gearing charts. I like when the people that make the truck do the work for me and tell me the gear ratios available. Unfortunately, the best you get with the Gen 8 is a blurb on their website:

Not too informative.

So I went through the manual and spare parts descriptions and came up with this:

As you can see, unless the Gen 8 manual and spare parts listings are wrong on the gear teeth counts (which they may be, I haven't opened up my truck to actually count) the gear ratios range from 35.78 to 91.44 not what the website says.

Hopefully this helps other nerds like me that need to know their gear ratio.
That looks correct for what I've seen also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

This is the one that I got from the Facebook page.

brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
This is the one that I got from the Facebook page.

I've seen that one too. I believe it was posted by one of the Redcat Design Engineers, but my personal calculations match what SVT923 posted. I'm curious as to why there's a difference between our calculations and theirs.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I've seen that one too. I believe it was posted by one of the Redcat Design Engineers, but my personal calculations match what SVT923 posted. I'm curious as to why there's a difference between our calculations and theirs.
From what I found, Redcat says the gear ratio of their portal axles is 4.86 while I get 6.18.

2.909 Ring and Pinion (32/11) x 2.125 Portals (17/8 ) = 6.18

Plugging in 4.86 for the axle and portal ratio gets the numbers Redcat posted but I don't know where the 4.86 ratio comes from.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #6

svt923 appears to be correct according to my math.
We are talking about Redcat here. I've dealt with them on the phone many times. You will never get a straight answer. They don't even know what weight oil is in the disposable Gen 8 shocks or in any of their shocks.
Redcat doesnt even offer rebuild parts for them. Not that I truly care...but, they don't even sell shock oil and different softer springs. Out of the box The Gen 8 is over sprung despite its 7 pound weight. And adjusting collars are all the way up to begin with. Despite the pretty aluminum bodies and alu/plastic caps, the shocks are NOT fully threaded.

In the end, they are honest and will tell you they "don't know", regarding some basic info. Lol.
Buy a Redcat anything, including the "in house" designed Gen 8, and you are on your own. Great for a newcomer to this hobby I imagine. They are trying hard to support this Gen 8 with Alloy parts and Thingiverse for 3D parts etc.
On its face the Gen 8 appears like a deal. But the body is where all the money is. And we all like pretty bodies. Under the hood is a different story, gearing, steering angle and all. There are just too many throw away parts requiring $upgrades$ to compete with the Big Guys. But a nice attempt. I don't think newbs are prepared to drop that coin in a Gen 8. My friend has left his Gen 8 with me for over a week to play with. He doesnt want to do much to it except change out the foams. The included radio is not matched and suited to the steering geometry of the Gen 8. He wants a better radio because of the steering angle issue, yet is hesitant to drop $$ on an other wise brand new Gen 8. He is on the fence and wants a TRX4 Sport now . He wants to put the Scout 2 body on it. And he hates the Velcro body attachment. I agree.

I don't expect Redcat to have accurate info on any of their rigs. They never have. There is a great disconnect between Redcats Chinese contracted Mfr. and the Customer Service at Redcat. Just my spin.

Last edited by SteveRC; 02-08-2019 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spel
SteveRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRC View Post
We are talking about Redcat here. I've dealt with them on the phone many times. You will never get a straight answer. They don't even know what weight oil is in the disposable Gen 8 shocks or in any of their shocks.
Redcat doesnt even offer rebuild parts for them. Not that I truly care...but, they don't even sell shock oil and different softer springs. Out of the box The Gen 8 is over sprung despite its 7 pound weight. And adjusting collars are all the way up to begin with. Despite the pretty aluminum bodies and alu/plastic caps, the shocks are NOT fully threaded.

In the end, they are honest and will tell you they "don't know", regarding some basic info. Lol.
Buy a Redcat anything, including the "in house" designed Gen 8, and you are on your own. Great for a newcomer to this hobby I imagine. They are trying hard to support this Gen 8 with Alloy parts and Thingiverse for 3D parts etc.
On its face the Gen 8 appears like a deal. But the body is where all the money is. And we all like pretty bodies. Under the hood is a different story, gearing, steering angle and all. There are just too many throw away parts requiring $upgrades$ to compete with the Big Guys. But a nice attempt. I don't think newbs are prepared to drop that coin in a Gen 8. My friend has left his Gen 8 with me for over a week to play with. He doesnt want to do much to it except change out the foams. The included radio is not matched and suited to the steering geometry of the Gen 8. He wants a better radio because of the steering angle issue, yet is hesitant to drop $$ on an other wise brand new Gen 8. He is on the fence and wants a TRX4 Sport now . He wants to put the Scout 2 body on it. And he hates the Velcro body attachment. I agree.

I don't expect Redcat to have accurate info on any of their rigs. They never have. There is a great disconnect between Redcats Chinese contracted Mfr. and the Customer Service at Redcat. Just my spin.
So let me get this straight you realy like redcat right
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRC View Post

1. What is the issue with the steering angle? mine turns very nice, tighter than my scx10 stock steering and the scx10.2 stock steering. My narrow XR modded scx10 axles turn tighter but not by much. The radio has the same adjustments as my stock axial radios. I fail to see the problem.

2. I agree the velcro is not very good, so I ordered ring magnets with tapered holes to mount to the inner fenders and body with screws that will take care of that issue permanently. Cost less than 15 bucks total.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/N35-Counter...72.m2749.l2649
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

good info
elirgraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 Gearing Chart - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC01 gearing and reduction chart OSRC Tamiya XC/CC01 7 05-15-2020 12:36 PM
Gearing chart eric113 Axial Wraith 25 02-08-2017 02:09 PM
gearing ratio chart mark32 Newbie General 11 03-31-2013 09:52 AM
Speed and Gearing chart? acrosteve Electronics 3 08-07-2009 05:03 PM