RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/)
-   -   New Gen 8 builder's kit (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/606354-new-gen-8-builders-kit.html)

Bob_in az 02-12-2019 08:33 PM

New Gen 8 builder's kit

So Redcat just announced this on Facebook. Great move on their part. However, I would've liked to have seen the upgraded steel trans & t-case gears with the kit. As it sits, it's the standard Gen 8 minus the body, wheels/tires & electronics. They keep moving in the right direction though.

GEN8-PACK| Redcat Racing

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

soze 02-12-2019 08:40 PM

Re: New Gen 8 builder's kit

I won't be getting this, but I'm glad they did it. It's good news for those of us that like to build.

We've got some nice options now for raw kits (body-less) between Axial, HPI, GMADE, Redcat, MST, and Traxxas.

Unfortunately, the problem with the Traxxas one is the included electronics bumping that kit price up. If they released an electronics-less "sport" kit, that would be perfect.

Joshs4x4toyz 02-12-2019 09:28 PM

Soze, I get the TRX4 sport sliders on ebay for $200 from a seller "Lumidave"

You gotta tear everything down to build what you want anyways right! to me RTR, kit, or pre assembled slider dont really matter it ends up in pile in a parts bin when start building lol. I just look for the best deal for what I need and what I can sell from the purchase"thumbsup"

Joshs4x4toyz 02-12-2019 09:31 PM

Oh and Bob, good find. that is cool seeing Redcat bring this. I think if they threw in some worthy upgrades folks may bite on it more as well. its the lowest kit with portals and frontish motor mount, so if thats what you need its a viable option as far as kits."thumbsup"

soze 02-12-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz (Post 5909929)
Soze, I get the TRX4 sport sliders on ebay for $200 from a seller "Lumidave"

You gotta tear everything down to build what you want anyways right! to me RTR, kit, or pre assembled slider dont really matter it ends up in pile in a parts bin when start building lol. I just look for the best deal for what I need and what I can sell from the purchase"thumbsup"

Oh, I know that guy tears RTRs & kits apart and re-sells as sliders. I just wish Traxxas themselves would do it officially!

soze 02-13-2019 12:28 AM

So.... I didn't actually click the link until now. It comes pre-assembled???? Booooooooo! That takes some of the fun out of it.... at least for me.

durok 02-13-2019 03:26 AM

It's definitely a shame that it comes pre-built, as if it wasn't you could implement svt923's steering fix right away!

"thumbsup"

coffeeaddict17 02-13-2019 04:18 AM

I thought it was neat they are making steps in the direction they are. This is pretty cool. In due time, I'm sure they will offer an upgraded version as well, and possibly a kit.

svt923 02-13-2019 06:42 AM

I would still buy the RTR for $300 and keep all the things I don't use as spares than pay $200 for the chassis, there is way more than $100 in extra value with the RTR.

DukeMinnix 02-13-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5909989)
I would still buy the RTR for $300 and keep all the things I don't use as spares than pay $200 for the chassis, there is way more than $100 in extra value with the RTR.

I thought the same thing. The inner fenders on the chassis, inside the body, and the body itself are well worth the 100 bucks, let along the electronics. They aren't great, but theyre decent beginner stuff to be tossed in a rig to get it moving.

Jim85IROC 02-13-2019 06:59 AM

I think it's great that they're offering this, but I can't help but wonder how well it will sell at the same price as the HPI Venture and SCX10 II builder's kits. At $300 the RTR is an incredible value, and priced well below the competition. At $200, this kit is exactly the same price as the competition. I guess we'll see.

Topher Builds 02-13-2019 08:21 AM

I like the option, great to see more of these come available we just need cough *traxxas* cough to join the party of a raw chassis offering.

I'd be curious to see if one may do better getting the RTR and selling off the body, motor/esc/servo, rx/tx, and wheels/tires. 2 weeks before racewars that body probably fetches a premium (for now). There's a clear body set with all the trim on ebay for 142 right now.

rcreview 02-13-2019 09:16 AM

I'm a new Redcat fan and I'm glad they're trying new kits but I'm afraid they missed the mark with this one.

It's exactly the same as the $300 kit minus:
- body and all attachments
- radio, receiver, servo
- motor, esc
- 5 wheels and tires
- inner fender and velcro/magnet system
- sliders
- spare tire mount
- metal servo arm

That's at least $200 in parts and easily sold as take-offs at $150. So financially, it doesn't make sense for most buyers.

It comes assembled (and poorly at that) so it misses the mark with most who want a builder's kit.

The big loss though is it loses what makes it competitive in the marketplace, amazing value, a stunning body, velcro/magnet body mounts and extra value parts like spare tire/mount, steel servo horn.

It offers nothing of what current customers want, a clear body, hop-ups, stronger drivetrain, center bump mod. so compared to the Axial or HPI builder's kits, it does not have any edge for the same $199 price.

I think they rushed this to market, cashing in, not thinking things through and not listening to enthusiasts.

No big deal though since a few may find this package useful. A couple cool packages:
- make this $150
- package in a few metal upgrades and/or 3d molded parts
- $200 for this but include a clear body!!

Bob_in az 02-13-2019 09:35 AM

The general consensus on the Gen 8 fb group is pretty much the same as we're all saying here; glad they're moving in the right direction, but this "kit" needs to come with upgrades. Redcat has been really good at listening & interacting with their customers as of late, so I'm thinking (hoping) we might see an upgraded version real soon. We'll see.

soze 02-13-2019 10:15 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ckNpUPhJGPE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HumboldtEF 02-13-2019 05:37 PM

I agree its a good step in the right direction but falls a bit short by not including upgrades. If you actually want the Scout ii body the RTR is a great value if you're okay with blue or orange.

EDIT: I just caught in that video that P.A.C.K. stands for Pre Assembled Chassis Kit.....hmm pre assembled and kit, seems like an oxymoron to me lol

ferp420 02-14-2019 09:37 PM

I see no reason to get a gen8 with out the scout body

elirgraves13 02-16-2019 02:12 PM

agreed.

muffhuntin 02-17-2019 02:38 PM

Agreed. They should have given a little more incentive to buy the kit. More metal!

Jim85IROC 02-21-2019 06:23 PM

Redcat just announced that they're dropping the price to $169.