Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Redcat Followed Me Home (Gen 8)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Redcat Followed Me Home (Gen 8)

I have been thinking of doing something similar. Looks like you got it to work. I will have to copy you.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I printed up a new bumper that I found on Thingiverse
Its a bit lower profile than the stock bumper though it is wider and it looks more like a factory bumper. I did one modification drilling a new set of holes so that I could push the bumper inwards as far as possible.

You can also see I've cut the front fender flares to square them up a bit. this close up reminds me it still need to do some more sanding.

I'm also trying out a new set of tires, some XL Rock Beasts that havent worked well on any of my other rigs. they always seem far too big but they're right at home on the Scout ii body. I switched the foams to a basic open cell foam, I had previously used dual stage CI's but the combo never seemed that great. I think the tire is working a fair bit better with the soft foams.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-10-2019 at 08:47 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
fixed
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Oh, I wasn't thinking straight, yes Thingiverse and free.

I'm just wiping my windows clean at the moment with the Tamiya Polycarbonate cleaner you turned me onto. It works great, just mask it up and wipe.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

A few little updates, Someone was asking in another thread how the 5.4" tall Proline boggers look on the Scout ii body. I threw a set on to see and they aren't terrible but do rub with shocks at the stock setting, the extra clearance was nice but I'll be going back to 4.75" tires.

I wiped the windows clean with some Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tamyia-p...E&gclsrc=aw.ds (Hobby King has them in stock in the US unlike most retailers I found that carried this). I ended up using a full bottle plus a little bit more from another.

I started by cutting the window stickers with an X-acto knife leaving behind the window trim.

I then masked the inside of the body holding it up to light to see where the trim was.

On some of the thicker painted areas I used a flash light to get a better look at where the trim was. I then marked the outline of where to mask with a mechanical pencil.

The front windows at the bottom has no window trim so its a bit harder to make look nice. I ended up wiping towards the masking and pushing past it, in hindsight its much better to wipe side to side or in a manner that doesn't disturb the masking.

I printed up a gas cap offered by Redcat Racing on Thingiverse. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3347387
I used an 8mm m2 like they recommended but the end poked through and popped the detail on the top of the gas cap loose so I used a thicker spacer on the inside to avoid doing that twice.

I also took a grill I printed months and months ago and painted it and rounded up a sticker to cover a hole thats left behind when swapping grills (which was the reason I didn't use this sooner). this was also something Redcat has available on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3342857

You can see the little circle cut out of the radiator sticker towards the bottom, the stock bumper pokes through and mounts there but most of their other grills don't so your left with a hole here to deal with.
I found a radiator sticker for the Ascender K10 was a decent match. I cut out a piece and stuck it on from behind using another sticker. You could plant it on from the front but I think it will stand out even more.

Oh and here's a better shot of how the front fender flares look after a trim. I held off on doing this for a while because once you do it these fender flares are no longer centered on the wheels and the axle looks pushed forward, but I decided not to worry about that and that a front axle pushed forward really doesnt look too bad anyway.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:38 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

A little late in seeing this, but your gen8 is looking great!
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Grill turned out great. Did you run into any fitment issues with the grill? All of them I printed did not quite fit right.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
A little late in seeing this, but your gen8 is looking great!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Grill turned out great. Did you run into any fitment issues with the grill? All of them I printed did not quite fit right.

No fitment issues with the grill, though this was the only one I tried and it was printed in PLA (not sure if that matters). The pegs going through the holes in the body were a tight squeeze but it was also tight with the stock grill too.

Here's a few shots from the GPS scavenger hunt at Proline BTF

Old 05-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Awesome. I was planning on going but was unable to make it.

Mine I had to shave down the pegs a little bit to get them to fit. It wouldn't pull tight to the body.

Great pictures!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Awesome. I was planning on going but was unable to make it.

Mine I had to shave down the pegs a little bit to get them to fit. It wouldn't pull tight to the body.

Great pictures!

Thats a bummer, though that looks like it would be a pretty long journey for you and the weather and conditions made it a bit rough this year. By Sunday morning I was fully ready to leave.

Redcat Racing was there with a booth and I did notice one of their 3D printed grills stuck out a bit more than mine.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Outstanding write up sir! Love the level of creativeness! You make me want to start up another build thread but im not as far as you yet lol. But perhaps ill start one soon. I too have been looking over the front suspension and panhard. I am going to end up with custom made links myself. I like your idea for moving the servo forward to! Im not a fan of the plastic front mount so i may end up utilizing the redcat aluminum frame horns...
two questions,
#1 one of your pics it looks as if you had a set of old style mags? What wheels were those!?
#2 are you still roughly stock height overall on the rig?

keep up the good work!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
Outstanding write up sir! Love the level of creativeness! You make me want to start up another build thread but im not as far as you yet lol. But perhaps ill start one soon. I too have been looking over the front suspension and panhard. I am going to end up with custom made links myself. I like your idea for moving the servo forward to! Im not a fan of the plastic front mount so i may end up utilizing the redcat aluminum frame horns...
two questions,
#1 one of your pics it looks as if you had a set of old style mags? What wheels were those!?
#2 are you still roughly stock height overall on the rig?

keep up the good work!

Thank you!

Those wheels I think you're talking about are the Gear head EZ lock 5 star wheels which I had trouble looking up on RPP but did find them on Gear Heads site. Oddly it links to RPP which shows out of stock but you cant find them when searching the exact tittle so I wonder if they've been discontinued maybe? Contact RPP and they should be able to answer that.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gea1018.htm

Ride height is unchanged, its set to the lowest just like how they come (pre assembled).

Thanks for the kind words

Redcat Followed Me Home (Gen 8) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 Cincygoon65 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 23 07-27-2019 09:35 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
Redcat gen 7 doing it up! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-26-2018 07:13 AM
Redcat Gen 7 Chilli39 Redcat Crawlers 24 01-05-2018 04:32 AM
Gen 7 REDCAT MESS UP? shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 4 11-29-2017 09:31 PM