Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #21

Default Re: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I think it's fine to be critical (for any brand). Doesn't mean I don't like the truck or want it to fail. I actually do like it.

I would argue it's good to be critical especially since it seems like RedCat is listening! (dry portal gear issue anyone?) I applaud them for that. I wouldn't want to turn a blind eye and have them think everything is perfect.

The only things that I'm critical of are:

1. Steering setup
2. Velcro (Although I'll give them a pass here, because it is the most cost effective solution, and they did make concessions for adding magnets)
3. Drive shaft alignment being out of phase. I'm not sure if this is a QC issue or design issue, but it's annoying.

I haven't had any issues with the drive shaft alignment on mine, maybe it is a QC issue? What exactly do you mean, maybe I just haven't noticed? I do admit I see the steering setup, but mine isn't really that bad, I can live with it because it doesn't affect its performance with my driving style (not everyone is the same though, so I get it) The Velcro is definitely a flaw and I get why they did it, it just drove me NUTS trying to line up the body every time *personal vendetta.. haha* (Magnets snap it into place perfectly every time **as long you align the magnets properly!! Take the time to make them perfect.**)
miah13007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by miah13007 View Post
I haven't had any issues with the drive shaft alignment on mine, maybe it is a QC issue? What exactly do you mean, maybe I just haven't noticed? I do admit I see the steering setup, but mine isn't really that bad, I can live with it because it doesn't affect its performance with my driving style (not everyone is the same though, so I get it) The Velcro is definitely a flaw and I get why they did it, it just drove me NUTS trying to line up the body every time *personal vendetta.. haha* (Magnets snap it into place perfectly every time **as long you align the magnets properly!! Take the time to make them perfect.**)
This image is huge, but check the link out. This is the issue with mine - https://www.drivelinesnw.com/sites/d...es/Phasinh.png

Here are pictures of my drive-shafts. It's all very strange. The notches inside the driveshaft don't allow for it to line up in phase properly ever. Between the 2 driveshafts, they both have different degrees of being out of phase. So I think this check wasn't part of the manufacturing process.

Last edited by soze; 03-11-2019 at 05:12 PM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by miah13007 View Post
I haven't had any issues with the drive shaft alignment on mine, maybe it is a QC issue? What exactly do you mean, maybe I just haven't noticed?
Have a look at this picture and compare, that would be cool if they actually got some right. My stock set and upgrade set are both out of phase.

My impression of Redcat Before the Gen 8 was pretty poor but I have an open mind and welcome a new brand to the crawling arena. I really liked their story about how they've changed their tune and designed the Gen 8 in house unlike their previous products.

Their back story starts about half way into the video
https://youtu.be/5s0MgUaQTw0

HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
People seem to be very intolerant of the Gen8's flaws. If other manufacturers were producing flawless equivalents, I could understand that mentality, but it's far from reality. People buy an SCX10 II knowing that before it even hits the rocks they'll need a new servo, a BEC, new wheels & tires, new suspension & steering links, and new shocks. They accept this as normal and proudly proclaim how great the Axial is. Same people will buy a Gen8, go hammer it right out of the box and bitch that it's an unreliable POS.

I agree completely. I owned a SCX10 II for a very brief period. It's a good rig, but for the price I was disappointed with stock performance. I didn't want to sink a ton of money into a rig to make it capable of what it was designed to do (I'm a weekend warrior, it truly is a hobby for me) The Gen 8 hit every spot on my check list and when I got it out of the box I was drooling. The shocks on the Gen 8 are the best I've ever seen on an RTR (both looks and performance) and I've owned Axial, Traxxas (nitro and electric), HPI (nitro and electric), Associated (nitro and electric), and Losi (electric) The servo isn't as weak as the one on the SCX10 II, I also had a 1/10 Yeti that had the same issues. Like I said I'm not into competing or anything, just plain trailing/crawling or bashing (with vehicles designed to bash) I love putting in wrench time and customizing (as budget friendly as possible, free whenever possible) I bought this rig so I have something to keep me occupied while my wife and I go on hikes/nature walks and I'm definitely satisfied. If you're a hardcore crawler/scaler and compete I can totally see why you would have gripes, but most, if not all platforms out there, aren't setup to do what you want out of the box. To each their own, for the weekend warrior who's on a budget this rig is great. Just my .02
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

^ "like"

I guess they finally removed the "like" feature! LOL!
Old 03-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #26

Ohh wow, maybe I got lucky?

Last edited by miah13007; 03-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

^ It would seem so. I think there's inconsistency in the way the yoke is mounted on the tube side. It's like the just arbitrarily mount the yoke on without checking for phase alignment. It's probably a step they haven't considered adding in the manufacturing process maybe. Or it could be the factory just not doing the due diligence like the initial batch of Gen8's without grease in the portal gears.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
^ It would seem so. I think there's inconsistency in the way the yoke is mounted on the tube side. It's like the just arbitrarily mount the yoke on without checking for phase alignment. It's probably a step they haven't considered adding in the manufacturing process maybe. Or it could be the factory just not doing the due diligence like the initial batch of Gen8's without grease in the portal gears.

I'm not sure. Either one's a possiblity. I must say I did crack into the portals when I first got it too, all of mine (and my diffs) were greased right up. Haven't torn down the transfer case or tranny to check those yet, but I bet they have grease.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
People seem to be very intolerant of the Gen8's flaws. If other manufacturers were producing flawless equivalents, I could understand that mentality, but it's far from reality. People buy an SCX10 II knowing that before it even hits the rocks they'll need a new servo, a BEC, new wheels & tires, new suspension & steering links, and new shocks. They accept this as normal and proudly proclaim how great the Axial is. Same people will buy a Gen8, go hammer it right out of the box and bitch that it's an unreliable POS.

You said it more eloquently than I can. This is exactly what I meant. I am by no means saying the Gen 8 is perfect. It does have its little issues, which maybe should've been addressed before release, but those are relatively easy to correct. The good outweighs the bad on the Gen 8.

And to Soze's point, yes, constructive criticism is a good thing & it's necessary. Kudos to Redcat for listening to that criticism & feedback. What other manufacturer is this involved with their customers? None that I know of. That shows a lot of promise.

I think the opinion of Redcat is changing. How can it not? These Gen 8's are flying off the shelf right now & they keep showing up out on the trail proving to be just as capable (in some cases more capable) than any other truck out there. That's very hard to ignore.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #30
RCC Addict

I have watched videos showing the effect of driveshafts being out of phase (and also alignment) Pretty interesting, but usually it's higher speeds that problem occur. I'm not sure lowish speeds on a crawler would cause problems. (Could be wrong though. I sometimes am).
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:

I disagree. I got my Axial Blazer and ran it quite a bit stock. Now after nearly a year it does have a new servo, new springs on the stock shocks, tires and wheels, and new links, but everything else is stock. I don't have a BEC in any of my rigs, although I do have hw1080's in all but the Axial. It crawls great and no breakage. But then, it's just 1 of 5 rigs and is not my 'comp rig'.

My crawling buddy just got a Gen8 so we'll see how he does. I hope he's not disappointed, cuz he doesn't tinker so much and a lot of failures will be very frustrating for him. I'll end up having to fix it. LOL His other rigs are a TRX4 and a couple of Ascenders. So far we've replace all the steering servos, and the shifter servo in the TRX. He's more into scale detailing than performance mods. He just LOVES the Scout looks.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #32
RCC Addict

jealousy
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #33

I have too just recently got a Gen8 and love it...the biggest gripe I have read about is the upper portal gear spitting out the cv pin, I have had a good look at the design and the design itself seems ok...but...I suspect most of the cause is the plastic c-hub flexing when in a tricky spot or where grip is good enough and as soon as you try to drive the cv binds because of this flex in the c-hub and out blows the pin.....not in all cases but I think the upgrade alloy c-hubs may cure most of this fault along with correct epa…..I am from a racing background and have done very little crawling but its the same ol stories and gripes across rc….yet we still buy em and run em till they break..... coz we love rc and to tinker......
ASA-Grafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

this whole drive shaft phasing is way over rated on a 1:1 rig they dont ballance the front drive shafts any one who has driven any 4wd truck on the street in fron5 wheel drive only can easy tell you vibration isent even noticable till around 40-45 mph even at 65 its not realy a issue ive built my share of full sized driveshafts myself so i do have some experiance there on a rc crwaler i dought you will ever hit 45mph but if you do i can tell you you wont feel the vibration on a slash that hits 60+ it might cause some performance issues but in my opinion the tir3 ballance is way more important and is way more noticable yet most gofast tires arent ballenced from the factory and are run that way quit abit and isent realy a issue if your doing 100+ mph im sure the vibration caused by being out of phase would blow bearings and cause performance issues but anything less than 40mph is a mute point that shaft just dosent spin fastenuff
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
this whole drive shaft phasing is way over rated on a 1:1 rig they dont ballance the front drive shafts any one who has driven any 4wd truck on the street in fron5 wheel drive only can easy tell you vibration isent even noticable till around 40-45 mph even at 65 its not realy a issue ive built my share of full sized driveshafts myself so i do have some experiance there on a rc crwaler i dought you will ever hit 45mph but if you do i can tell you you wont feel the vibration on a slash that hits 60+ it might cause some performance issues but in my opinion the tir3 ballance is way more important and is way more noticable yet most gofast tires arent ballenced from the factory and are run that way quit abit and isent realy a issue if your doing 100+ mph im sure the vibration caused by being out of phase would blow bearings and cause performance issues but anything less than 40mph is a mute point that shaft just dosent spin fastenuff

Sorry, but that's WAY too logical.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Sorry, but that's WAY too logical.
If he'd use correct grammar, punctuation, and a spell check, he may be dangerous
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

lol thanks yo
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Been out of the crawling game a long time.

It was a big orange crawler (Nylint Jeep) at the 05 Off Road Expo that got me interested in crawlers and it’s another big orange crawler (Gen 8 Scout) that has regained my interest.

I’ve watched a ton of videos, to be honest the G8 has really impresses me with its out of the box abilities. It’s made climbs and completed lines that even modded SCX10 v2 rigs seemed to struggle with.

Is it perfect? No. But neither was any of my TLT based rigs, my AX10s, my SCX10s, or any of the other crawlers I owned.

But the G8 definitely has potential.

As G8 owners give more feedback, the Red Cat team matured and tweaks are made to improve areas of weakness, in addition to the aftermarket support that is expanding daily, the G8 looks like it has a bright future.

I’m rooting for the Underdog, and my new rig will be a G8.👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Seems to me the majority of the modern RC hobbyist are total morons that bitch and cry about anything that's not of their favorite brand. Plus most of them are too damn stupid to figure out how to fix their toy. I got so tired of reading about how crappy the foams were and the bullshit bump steer issue I left all the redcat pages. Oh, and the endless post about what kind of Velcro or magnets to use on the body was amazing. With the modern mentality of the majority the only way to find any true info on anything is to just buy the stupid toy truck and find out for yourself if it's junk or not.
I bought one of these junk tire foam, bump steer, lumpy skid plate having Redcat junk piles, and I love this stupid thing. I of course put decent electrics in it, changed tires/wheels and front bumper. Spent the better part of yesterday morning with some buddies at one of our rocky hangout spots and with my smart ass flying through places no one can go over and over my name was pretty much cock sucker for about 4 hours.
I've never seen a rig as close to stock as this thing is do what it can. It's so smooth on the rocks you can almost feel it. I was almost upset for a bit thinking about the money and time I have invested in my Ascender and this cheap damn thing will stomp it in the rocks. I really hope people continue to hate the gen8 cause it'll make it that much sweeter when I beat them with a Redcat.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:21 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post

damn, I may have to slow down and read your posts more often

srsly tho, while i agree that people are overreacting about drivelines being in phase, having them out of phase does wear out the joints faster.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote

What's with all the gen 8 hate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM