Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

Haha sweet post Jeepiac.
I ran mine stock for a while and change the electronics.
HW1080 and a Tekin Pro 30t.
Thinking about trying a HH Revolver with a Mamba X.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 06:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Seems to me the majority of the modern RC hobbyist are total morons that bitch and cry about anything that's not of their favorite brand. Plus most of them are too damn stupid to figure out how to fix their toy. I got so tired of reading about how crappy the foams were and the bullshit bump steer issue I left all the redcat pages. Oh, and the endless post about what kind of Velcro or magnets to use on the body was amazing. With the modern mentality of the majority the only way to find any true info on anything is to just buy the stupid toy truck and find out for yourself if it's junk or not.

I bought one of these junk tire foam, bump steer, lumpy skid plate having Redcat junk piles, and I love this stupid thing. I of course put decent electrics in it, changed tires/wheels and front bumper. Spent the better part of yesterday morning with some buddies at one of our rocky hangout spots and with my smart ass flying through places no one can go over and over my name was pretty much cock sucker for about 4 hours.

I've never seen a rig as close to stock as this thing is do what it can. It's so smooth on the rocks you can almost feel it. I was almost upset for a bit thinking about the money and time I have invested in my Ascender and this cheap damn thing will stomp it in the rocks. I really hope people continue to hate the gen8 cause it'll make it that much sweeter when I beat them with a Redcat.
I agree with you well stated I love my 3 Redcats
Everest 10
Rockslide 10
Everest 16

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
jakemaxwell806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #43

Glad to see the Gen8 starting to garner more positive feedback and respect.
maxinflixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Hey Jon, where have you been?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Seems to me the majority of the modern RC hobbyist are total morons that bitch and cry about anything that's not of their favorite brand. Plus most of them are too damn stupid to figure out how to fix their toy. I got so tired of reading about how crappy the foams were and the bullshit bump steer issue I left all the redcat pages. Oh, and the endless post about what kind of Velcro or magnets to use on the body was amazing. With the modern mentality of the majority the only way to find any true info on anything is to just buy the stupid toy truck and find out for yourself if it's junk or not.
I bought one of these junk tire foam, bump steer, lumpy skid plate having Redcat junk piles, and I love this stupid thing. I of course put decent electrics in it, changed tires/wheels and front bumper. Spent the better part of yesterday morning with some buddies at one of our rocky hangout spots and with my smart ass flying through places no one can go over and over my name was pretty much cock sucker for about 4 hours.
I've never seen a rig as close to stock as this thing is do what it can. It's so smooth on the rocks you can almost feel it. I was almost upset for a bit thinking about the money and time I have invested in my Ascender and this cheap damn thing will stomp it in the rocks. I really hope people continue to hate the gen8 cause it'll make it that much sweeter when I beat them with a Redcat.
Yup. But the foams do suck. The only thing I did to my truck prior to driving it was to replace the foams & wheels. It's otherwise 100% stock, and to be honest, it's probably going to stay that way until parts break. My Gen7 needed a handful of things right away to make it a good crawler. The Gen8 doesn't. It works very well just like it is. The bump steer is a non issue when you're using the truck. The electronics work fine. Even the servo is fine until it burns up. Maybe when I get it off the snowbanks and onto the rocks the skid plate might become an issue, but it hasn't been so far. The only issue, without a doubt, had to be those foams. In my climate, they're concrete and unusable. I did replace the velcro with magnets too, and it was a nice improvement.

To be honest, the fact that people are bitching so much about foams & velcro should say something about how the rest of the truck works.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
To be honest, the fact that people are bitching so much about foams & velcro should say something about how the rest of the truck works.
The foams I think are the only real true hindrance on the truck if you just want to unwrap it and drive. Other than that, it does really well out of the box.

I've not had an issue with the skid bump, and I probably won't do anything about it.

RTR electronics are RTR electronics... Replace them when you feel like it.

Personally, regarding the bump steer and the driveshafts... that's just me tinkering to get everything as perfect as possible, but it certainly doesn't make me hate the truck.

Maybe I haven't read enough threads on here, but is anyone actually hating on the gen8 and saying it's garbage?

I think all the threads I've read have been the normal "tinkering" that you see in any other truck. It's just one of the newest truck platforms out so you just see more people finding initial things to tinker with.

Last edited by soze; 03-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Jon, where have you been?
Ernie
Hey, Ernie! Been a long non-rc winter, and I've been waisting all my time/money on an old XJ I'm fixing up. And yes I will be doing a 1:10 version of it when it's done.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

I've got a couple guy's making fun of me on FB right now because I stated that this cheapo Redcat will out crawl my fully moded Ascender. I've decided that I'm going to comp the gen8 this season just to see how far I can to take it. I set down and started taking off all that's not needed last night and also started trimming the overly long chassis. Just an estimate, but getting rid of the Scout body and inner fenders has shaved close to 2 pounds of above the axle weight from it. Now, if the drivetrain holds up to the power and my driving I think I'll make a few people eat their words by the end of the season.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey, Ernie! Been a long non-rc winter, and I've been waisting all my time/money on an old XJ I'm fixing up. And yes I will be doing a 1:10 version of it when it's done.
I'd hit the like button, but we don't have it anymore, so LIKE!
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #50

Quote:
I've got a couple guy's making fun of me on FB right now because I stated that this cheapo Redcat will out crawl my fully moded Ascender. I've decided that I'm going to comp the gen8 this season just to see how far I can to take it. I set down and started taking off all that's not needed last night and also started trimming the overly long chassis. Just an estimate, but getting rid of the Scout body and inner fenders has shaved close to 2 pounds of above the axle weight from it. Now, if the drivetrain holds up to the power and my driving I think I'll make a few people eat their words by the end of the season.
good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
jakemaxwell806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Getting rid of the Scout body/fenders + adjusting the wheelbase + bumpers is going to do wonders for the gen8 performance-wise. Throw in some decent electronics and you'll probably do really well.

I can't bear to get rid of the Scout body though, It's one of the things I love most about the gen8.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Getting rid of the Scout body/fenders + adjusting the wheelbase + bumpers is going to do wonders for the gen8 performance-wise. Throw in some decent electronics and you'll probably do really well.

I can't bear to get rid of the Scout body though, It's one of the things I love most about the gen8.
I really hated getting rid of the body, but I have a whole fleet of super scale rigs, so what the heck. I'll probably end up getting the builders kit just to give the Scout a home anyway. I did upgrade all the electronics. Brushless on 3s and a good servo. I can't stand weak steering. I'm contemplating a different chassis, but I'm sure that'll open up a whole can of worms.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I really hated getting rid of the body, but I have a whole fleet of super scale rigs, so what the heck. I'll probably end up getting the builders kit just to give the Scout a home anyway. I did upgrade all the electronics. Brushless on 3s and a good servo. I can't stand weak steering. I'm contemplating a different chassis, but I'm sure that'll open up a whole can of worms.

That’s my plan, buy the G8 PACK and use all my take offs from the G8 to use for a second rig.

I’ll take it to local GTGs and if I see someone who looks interested in what we’re doing, I’ll hand them a radio and let them experience it for real. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

same here if i had it my way all my new builds would be scouts lol

we just need the topless version of the scout ii
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #55

I'm thrilled with the Gen8 body, and I don't mind that it creates limitations. I have my Bomber for when I want to be able to crawl over everything. My scalers serve a different purpose. They offer additional challenges, and they look good doing it.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Consensus here now seem to be " it will only be good with a load of expensive mods"
And several that said they would want one now say O hell no.

If only i had the money i would get one and PO them so bad, just for the hell of that.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaker View Post
Consensus here now seem to be " it will only be good with a load of expensive mods"
And several that said they would want one now say O hell no.

If only i had the money i would get one and PO them so bad, just for the hell of that.
That's why you shouldn't listen to the "consensus". The truck works great right out of the box. Can it be improved? Yes. Does it need to be? No.

The only issue that some guys are seeing from a reliability perspective is the upper portal gears breaking. From a performance perspective, the truck is fine. The steering angle isn't bad, the approach & departure angles are average or better once you tuck the bumpers, diff clearance is outstanding, and tire grip is better than most RTRs. The steering geometry is a non issue no matter how much somebody wants to complain that it matters.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Yup. I definitely want a rig that breaks axles. Yup yup.

Over the past couple of years getting into this hobby I find there are toys and trail rigs, and then there are comp-rigs. Some fit these categories better, one way or other. I think there's a lack of differentiation here, and it's confusing to new and old alike.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Yeah i have seen some have snapped something on the axles, that maybe have a hop up part ( don't know )
And i am very much so a driving / handling guy.
But i am also sure the G8 can be made to perform really good with little extra cost, like some of the tires / foams i already have, a few free mods, and maybe 100 - 120 USD on a few essential upgrades.

I will also be taking my information from in here, as the people we drive with well aside for me and my M8 that have been doing this since before Axial, then the other guys are pretty noob in comparison, some driving close to stock rigs and others just throw any and all upgrades on.

As i said really would like to prove them wrong, just can not afford it, but could potentially be one helluva giggle to outrun the guys.
Which i already do fairly well with my pretty darn low 10.2 C1 power wagon against portal / non portal vehicles with around 1" taller tires.
Just comped 1 time with the 10.2 came second only to my friend driving his lightly modified BOM, so competition are not stiff here, in the US i would probably get my ass handed to me on a silver platter.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Yup. I definitely want a rig that breaks axles. Yup yup.

like the ar60s

i had a hell of a time keeping my wraith axles together the only axial part i will ever run in my ar60s are the front universals every other part is junk the housing the stock gears stock lockers knuckles and the bearings are under sized the first month with the wraith was mostly just replacing parts i couldent even get a pack through it with out breaking something the gen 8 hasent broken anything yet and is being beat way harder than the wraith did in the early days

my scx10 couldent keep a axle shaft in one piece no matter what i did i had to step up to the narrow xr mod set up and even thoughs shafts snap

so in my opinion the redcat has axial beat by far in the durabuility of its rtrs

aftermarket is another story

my wraith took over $300 on top of the purchase price to make it through a hole pack the redcat hasent broken 1 thing yet

the gen 8 dose have some down sides but so dose every rtr outhere and most of there fixes are free or close too free i probably wont buy another rtr my next one will be a mix of redcat axial and traxxass aftermarket parts
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

What's with all the gen 8 hate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM