Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

I smell a lot of bullshit! 🤣
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
theres nothing like driving a cornbinder !
Yea everything else drives better and doesn't have proprietary garbage axles under them. I've spent way too many years wrenching on 13 letter shit spreaders to have any love for them.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:46 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I smell a lot of bullshit! 🤣
i think theres still some on my shoe from the garden

ill go scrap that off
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Yea everything else drives better and doesn't have proprietary garbage axles under them. I've spent way too many years wrenching on 13 letter shit spreaders to have any love for them.
scouts are about how they make you feel while your driving them not while your working on them kinda like a harly

but your right thats why my 1:1 runs a chevy motor although i do have a extra international 6.9 diesel and a extra tranny if for some reason my 6.5 and the extra 6.2 turdbo diesels i built take a dump but i think im keeping that for the old tow pig i also have 3 spare axles laying around for my scout also 3 tops 2 sets of doors 2 727 torque flight trans and 2 manual trans one with a spare d20 tcase and the other with the d18 with the twin sticks i used to build 1:1s
i have 7 subarus and all the extra parts to build those from wheelers to street rods but i got sick so im mostly just building rc now

Last edited by ferp420; 04-17-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #85
Pebble Pounder

You know what I see out on my local trails & in the local shops now? Axial, Traxxas & Redcat. Those are the big three now, better get used to it. They are all very capable, but they can all break. Nobody shits on anybody else's trucks when we're out on the trail either. But....At the end of the day, we're grown ass men playing with toy trucks. Nerds to everyone else.
If you're gonna talk shit, it might be good to have some first hand experience with the truck you're throwing under the bus.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
If you're gonna talk shit, it might be good to have some first hand experience with the truck you're throwing under the bus.
And this is exactly why some get thrown under said bus. They like to talk shit about parts they dont own.

I really never heard of a gen 8 breaking an axle. Housing or shaft.. Not heard of from me anyways.

A group i had recently left (turned into somewhat of a shit show) called ohio scale gurus had alot of people either interested in the g8 or owning one. Only complaint from them was tue body mounting, the camel toe lol..., and the bumpsteer.

I just wonder if redcat could ever bring us what axial will refuse to. An entry level comp rig again. Not the everest junk. Something better.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I just wonder if redcat could ever bring us what axial will refuse to. An entry level comp rig again. Not the everest junk. Something better.
Is it really entry level if it's "something better"? The E10 has a big following. It may not be a turnkey option, but it's 80% of the way there and can be improved very inexpensively. I think it's a perfect entry level rig, especially at $130.

Maybe there's room in the market for a $250 version that addresses the E10s inherent shortcomings, but then I don't see that as "entry level" anymore.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
And this is exactly why some get thrown under said bus. They like to talk shit about parts they dont own.

I really never heard of a gen 8 breaking an axle. Housing or shaft.. Not heard of from me anyways.

A group i had recently left (turned into somewhat of a shit show) called ohio scale gurus had alot of people either interested in the g8 or owning one. Only complaint from them was tue body mounting, the camel toe lol..., and the bumpsteer.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I’m so impressed with the Gen 8, I’m going to pick up a P.A.C.K to use as the base for my next rig.

I’m not sure what people are so upset about? It’s comes with s great looking licensed body with several molded details (sure more color options would be great), it comes with good licensed tires (foams are garbage) on beadlock wheels, included a spare tire and beadlock wheel, it has great shocks, portal axles, divorced tranny and transfer case, damned good steering, a beefy chassis, very good ability right out of the box, decent RTR electronics, etc... And Red Cat did it for $299.00 👍🏼

Seems like a fantastic offering for Red Cat’s first in-house design and release.

Is there room for improvement, absolutely! There are issues that need to be addressed, but none of them are so serious as to be deal breakers.

Give Red Cat a little time to address the issues and make some production changes.

I also think the aftermarket will embrace the Gen 8. It’s only been out s few months, give it some time.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Is it really entry level if it's "something better"? The E10 has a big following. It may not be a turnkey option, but it's 80% of the way there and can be improved very inexpensively. I think it's a perfect entry level rig, especially at $130.

Maybe there's room in the market for a $250 version that addresses the E10s inherent shortcomings, but then I don't see that as "entry level" anymore.
Axial came out with the XR10, Had universals, and sintered metal gears all to be had for under 200. it was the first entry level comp crawler kit put out on the market. There hasn't been one out since. I'm not asking for a MOA kit to be put out, but a basic entry level shafty can be put our for really cheap if somebody could spend a weekend in designing some new axle housings, shafts, a chassis, and trans. Some parts they have made before could be utilized!

Personally speaking from experience, if your a head designer of a company, its not that hard to bust out something that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I’m so impressed with the Gen 8, I’m going to pick up a P.A.C.K to use as the base for my next rig.

I’m not sure what people are so upset about? It’s comes with s great looking licensed body with several molded details (sure more color options would be great), it comes with good licensed tires (foams are garbage) on beadlock wheels, included a spare tire and beadlock wheel, it has great shocks, portal axles, divorced tranny and transfer case, damned good steering, a beefy chassis, very good ability right out of the box, decent RTR electronics, etc... And Red Cat did it for $299.00 ����

Seems like a fantastic offering for Red Cat’s first in-house design and release.

Is there room for improvement, absolutely! There are issues that need to be addressed, but none of them are so serious as to be deal breakers.

Give Red Cat a little time to address the issues and make some production changes.

I also think the aftermarket will embrace the Gen 8. It’s only been out s few months, give it some time.
There is already files out on the market to change things on the g8. for $300 Ready to go, I could complain that the bumpsteer would absolutely annoy the piss out of me, its not all that bad of a truck. I'd buy one.. if only the 1.9 wraith didn't get released lol. That's my next and probably last scale stock rig purchase.

The G8 looks toit on da rocks.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #90

Quote:

Personally speaking from experience, if your a head designer of a company, its not that hard to bust out something that simple.
Sounds like you have a golden opportunity to fill a need!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Axial came out with the XR10, Had universals, and sintered metal gears all to be had for under 200. it was the first entry level comp crawler kit put out on the market. There hasn't been one out since. I'm not asking for a MOA kit to be put out, but a basic entry level shafty can be put our for really cheap if somebody could spend a weekend in designing some new axle housings, shafts, a chassis, and trans. Some parts they have made before could be utilized!

There is already files out on the market to change things on the g8. for $300 Ready to go, I could complain that the bumpsteer would absolutely annoy the piss out of me, its not all that bad of a truck. I'd buy one.. if only the 1.9 wraith didn't get released lol. That's my next and probably last scale stock rig purchase.

The G8 looks toit on da rocks.
The 1.9 Wraith just doesn’t do anything for me personally.

It looks ok, but it doesn’t push any of my buttons.

A generic cage, plastic links, plastic glue on wheels, plastic shocks, etc...

If I where going to get an Axial rig right now, I’d look at the Blazer or the knock off Mog.

Just more in line with my taste. But there’s plenty of room on the rocks for all. 👍🏼
Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

What I find interesting is the HPI Venture has a rather defined hump on its trans skid as well and I havent heard the first comment about how its gonna hang up on rocks and such. Most people praise the Venture up one side and down the other but lambast the Gen 8 for the hump on the skid, remind me again who is still in business and who is a heartbeat away from bankruptcy? Interesting.....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
What I find interesting is the HPI Venture has a rather defined hump on its trans skid as well and I havent heard the first comment about how its gonna hang up on rocks and such. Most people praise the Venture up one side and down the other but lambast the Gen 8 for the hump on the skid, remind me again who is still in business and who is a heartbeat away from bankruptcy? Interesting.....
i finnished up a custom build right about the time i got my gen 8 talk about a hump that gets hung up on every thing the tcase is aluminum so as soon as it hits anything it stops so by comparison the hump on the gen8 skid is like nothing it dose hang up on steep climbs trying to get over a ledge but so do most rigs and if you think about it the hump minimizes the amount of surface area that can contact a obsticle so actualy helps in some situations
Old 04-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #94
RCC Addict

Quote:
Pretty sure HPI was having problems before the Venture too though. The company seems to have been in limbo forever: Hobbico purchases HPI USA assets -NeoBuggy.net – Offroad RC Car News
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Because not 1 of the 42 people that bought the venture noticed it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well let me be the first to say (as an owner of each of these) that both of these humps suck, there you go.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

yep the drop in the skid on the venture sucks too...I also dislike the ventures link mounts on the skid, but they are double shear on the axles at least.

Point is that everything has its pros and cons. if you like the gen 8 cool, it was bigger than I wanted so I haven't picked up one yet
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Pretty sure HPI was having problems before the Venture too though. The company seems to have been in limbo forever: Hobbico purchases HPI USA assets -NeoBuggy.net – Offroad RC Car News

I knew HPI was on and has been on the rocks for some time.. I just thought it interesting that they have a similar skid and are killing themselves slowly as opposed to redcat who has the skid hump and most diehard haters are putting a chunk under the so called problem lol! So much so in some cases I think they would like to see redcat go bankrupt as well...
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Because not 1 of the 42 people that bought the venture noticed it.

I am considering being number 43 but I really dont need a 15th crawler project
Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Well let me be the first to say (as an owner of each of these) that both of these humps suck, there you go.

thanks! I feel better now

What's with all the gen 8 hate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM