Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Yeah where I crawl, there's a lot of jagged breakovers. That's where it is an issue.

Other than that... The body is humongous. I had a few Austin Powers moments trying to make sharp turns between rocks. Some of them I just gave up.

It's capable, but not as nimble as my Enduro or BOM if you get what I mean.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #42
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Mesa
Posts: 52
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Oh yeah, the body is a lumbering beast! I drag mine through the AZ rocks & it's beat to hell by this point. Been thinking about a new, smaller body & 4.19s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Oh yeah, the body is a lumbering beast! I drag mine through the AZ rocks & it's beat to hell by this point. Been thinking about a new, smaller body & 4.19s.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Not just that.... Need to shorten the length. Probably new bumpers as well. Steering could be better, but I can manage with how it is now. This doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied though. I expected it to struggle with a few things that I knew would hinder it. It outperformed my expectations and actually made it up a specific obstacle even with a huge body that my stock Trx4 sport kit can't even do as is right now. I'll be working on the TRX4 so it'll make it up soon as well.

Oh yeah, stock motor was horrible for me. I'll be putting in a Holmes hobbies trailmaster sport in it probably.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Last edited by soze; 11-30-2019 at 10:10 PM.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:50 PM   #44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florien
Posts: 6
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Soze, in your opinion would you rather the Gen 8 or another platform to build off of? I'm in the planning stages to build my gf a trail runner and all I've gotten so far is the Injora Jeep unlimited body and some Avatar Tsls. Thanks for your advise
Lil_Chop19922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Chop19922 View Post
Soze, in your opinion would you rather the Gen 8 or another platform to build off of? I'm in the planning stages to build my gf a trail runner and all I've gotten so far is the Injora Jeep unlimited body and some Avatar Tsls. Thanks for your advise
It all really depends on budget, and what direction you want to go.

Gen8 performs decently, and it looks like there are some updated parts that should help it out. If you're going with the Scout II, the body is humongous. It looks really nice, but it's a real hindrance. If you're going for the PACK, then You might be ok. The one thing I don't like about it is the steering geometry.

The aftermarket for the Gen8 is smaller than other platforms though.

I'm guessing you're looking at chassis kits since you bought an Injora body. The only other chassis kits are the SCX10.2 raw builders kit, Enduro Kit, SSD Trail King, and VS4-10 Chassis Kit (but you'll have to piece a bunch of stuff together to complete like transmission, links, axles, etc.)

I'd go with what fits in your budget. If you really want portals, the Gen8 will be good enough I guess, unless you want to pay more and get the TRX4 Sport kit.

Between the SCX10.2 raw builder's kit and the Enduro kit, I'd get the Enduro kit for the transmission and the shocks.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd get the SSD Trail King, it's a fantastic deal at $350 for what you get.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:02 AM   #46
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Readsboro, VT
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Yeah where I crawl, there's a lot of jagged breakovers. That's where it is an issue.

Other than that... The body is humongous. I had a few Austin Powers moments trying to make sharp turns between rocks. Some of them I just gave up.

It's capable, but not as nimble as my Enduro or BOM if you get what I mean.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
I couldn't agree more. I had my Enduro and my Gen8 out this past weekend with my son, and the differences were quite apparent. On my Enduro I have a Wrangler Unlimited body with the bumpers tucked super tight. Between the much more compact body and the tighter steering on the Enduro, maneuvering the Gen8 felt like trying to parallel park a school bus. The stock Redcat servo isn't helping matters any either.

The Enduro had Hyrax Predators and the Gen8 had stock tires. The Hyrax gripped MUCH better. This, combined with the advantages mentioned above made the Enduro feel like I was cheating. It could climb anything.

BUT... to the Gen8's defense, I was eventually able to get the Gen8 everywhere the Enduro went. Sure, it took me 30 tries and a boatload of wheel speed instead of just walking right up like the Enduro did, but it DID do it.

I don't really hold this against the Gen8 though. If I had the Hyrax and the smaller body on the Gen8, I think it would have been just as good as the Enduro.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florien
Posts: 6
Default Re: Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
It all really depends on budget, and what direction you want to go.

Gen8 performs decently, and it looks like there are some updated parts that should help it out. If you're going with the Scout II, the body is humongous. It looks really nice, but it's a real hindrance. If you're going for the PACK, then You might be ok. The one thing I don't like about it is the steering geometry.

The aftermarket for the Gen8 is smaller than other platforms though.

I'm guessing you're looking at chassis kits since you bought an Injora body. The only other chassis kits are the SCX10.2 raw builders kit, Enduro Kit, SSD Trail King, and VS4-10 Chassis Kit (but you'll have to piece a bunch of stuff together to complete like transmission, links, axles, etc.)

I'd go with what fits in your budget. If you really want portals, the Gen8 will be good enough I guess, unless you want to pay more and get the TRX4 Sport kit.

Between the SCX10.2 raw builder's kit and the Enduro kit, I'd get the Enduro kit for the transmission and the shocks.

If budget isn't an issue, I'd get the SSD Trail King, it's a fantastic deal at $350 for what you get.
I've looked at the ssd and really liked it. The vs4 is way out of budget but I'm not in a huge rush to get it going. I've read a bunch of your threads and knew you had some experience with a lot of the different brands.

Thanks for the help and after what you've said I'll probably go with the ssd chassis because of the after market support.
Lil_Chop19922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Racing Gen8 Scout II RTR Overview and Video RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-08-2019 04:09 PM
RedCat Gen8 Scout II Hill Climb soze Scale Videos! 0 02-28-2019 12:07 AM
Win a Redcat Gen8! Locked Up Redcat Crawlers 6 01-25-2019 07:17 PM
Blue Gen8 Scout II DukeMinnix Redcat Crawlers 8 01-15-2019 02:16 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com