Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Issue with Redcat, not Gen 8....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 PM   #1

Default Issue with Redcat, not Gen 8....

Have to vent here, and I seriously hope Redcat is listening! I mod the hell out of my stuff and here's the issue.. The aluminum outer axle housings are NOT OEM! The Brass weights available aftermarket do not fit. Save yourself $40+ until the aftermarket sorts this out. Honestly my first big disappointment with the Gen 8, or I should say RedcatRacing OEM upgrades..
Attached Images

Last edited by 4Aces; 03-25-2019 at 12:24 AM.
4Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 PM   #2

Default Re: Issue with Redcat, not Gen 8....

To the guy that replied to my "double post" please PM me.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So the aftermarket weight designed to fit the plastic outer axle housing doesn't fit the aluminum optional one ? It's not because the aluminum housing looks like the plastic one that it has the same dimensions ... sure it may not be a smart idea from RedCat but it's up to the aftermarket to check that first.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
So the aftermarket weight designed to fit the plastic outer axle housing doesn't fit the aluminum optional one ? It's not because the aluminum housing looks like the plastic one that it has the same dimensions ... sure it may not be a smart idea from RedCat but it's up to the aftermarket to check that first.
I figure if Redcat is going to offer an aluminum "upgrade" it should match the OEM, do you disagree? If they gave warning, or offered a weighted hub to accompany, I would be happy.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Expecting one brand of aftermarket part to play nice with a different brand of aftermarket part is always a gamble. If you think it's a problem with RCs, do yourself a favor and don't ever put aftermarket parts on real cars! I've spent countless hours trying to make aftermarket parts play nice together on my thirdgens.

Something that I always say about full size cars is that Bolt-Ons never are! It holds just as true with RC.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Aces View Post
I figure if Redcat is going to offer an aluminum "upgrade" it should match the OEM, do you disagree? If they gave warning, or offered a weighted hub to accompany, I would be happy.
Sure it's always better if the OEM upgrade is exactly sized the same as the OEM base part, that's how it's done most of the time and why I said it may not have been smart from Redcat to do another way, but it's not mandatory.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

To be fair to Redcat on their site they have always shown almost from day dot that there is to be an option alloy portal housing (among other alloy parts) but up until now its shown as not available as it has been on their to do list, I think Hotracing probably jumped the gun maybe without checking with Redcat to see if the alloy option would have the same bolt-up pattern and housing face???
ASA-Grafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

redcat hasent had alot of aftermarket suport they usaly make there own hop ups i would imagine that the aluminum parts are just a bit off from the original because they well they can thats why they sell the entire esembaly i dought they planed on any one trying to mix and match the plastic parts and the aluminum parts redcat needs to up there game a bit and make all there parts interchangeable things like this is what makes the aftermarket shy away from redcat also the reason i was hesitent on buying one of these i figure if i start having axle issues ill just swap out to different brand of axle like the traxxass axle or ar60s or somthing i wont use aluminum axle housings so the redcat upgrade isent a option in my book
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Issue with Redcat, not Gen 8.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 Cincygoon65 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 23 07-27-2019 09:35 AM
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
Redcat gen 7 doing it up! shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-26-2018 07:13 AM