Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 8 3D printed Skid filler (WIP)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Gen 8 3D printed Skid filler (WIP)

So I decide to take a slightly different route to dealing with the hump which some may say is not an issue. To me a hump like this means I'll be getting high centered on it from time to time and at that point pivot likely in directions I dont want to. To me thats BS I just don't want to deal with even if is only on rare occasions.

What I'm working up is a sort of skid filler, so its not a new skid all of that stays the same, the T case isn't raised. I've just made this filler piece that gently ramps up to the hump. It uses the extra link locations for mount points.

first version was too tall/too low, but it does show how unobtrusive it will be. This version had the back lopped off to make it easy to print but I can see this will be an issue when backing up, its created a snag point.

HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen 8 3D printed Skid filler (WIP)

Its now just a hair lower than the hump (the hump sticks out .5mm or so) and I closed the gap a bit more. I still want to try to get closer on the next revision.

This was printed upside down which is why it looks so ugly, I'll try to print it the other way up next.

I'm also considering doing a hardcore version where it will cover the hump entirely and sit at the same height, but you'll need to shave down the hump a few mm. I'm trying to perfect the version with the hole before I modify my hump though.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-02-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks Good so far. I have been to lazy but I want to change my skid because I have a little driveshaft rubbing on the trans after I lifted the transfer case around 6mm. Unfortunately you cannot get it lower without a hump of some kind. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Looks Good so far. I have been to lazy but I want to change my skid because I have a little driveshaft rubbing on the trans after I lifted the transfer case around 6mm. Unfortunately you cannot get it lower without a hump of some kind. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Thanks

I worked up a new version that fills in the space around the hump as much as possible. Its a bit too tight inside this area as I had to chamfer and thin out the material to get it to set down where it should.
I changed the mounts to allow them to be mounted with more common 25mm m3 screws, and they now thread into the skid filler piece instead of just passing though and fastening to the other end of the skid. that dint work out too well as it split the mount points open, I can try to make the hole larger but then theres not a lot of meat for the threads to grab. So I may just go back to the longer screws.

Its hard to notice but the hump sticks out around .5mm

I think what I'll need to do next is either print or just cut out cross sections so I can see where I need to make room for the hump because I simply cant see when its put together.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ok first version is done. I simplified it by removing the access holes for the driveshaft pins as well as the slot for the links which were also just for ease of access. I didn't end up needing to print cross sections to figure out the clearance issue, I just made a few guesses as to where to make more spacce and I got lucky. This version fit perfect without having to carve the back side of the piece.

Bottom side

Now up on Thingiverse for free, download and print one yourself.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3544010

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-05-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Ok first version is done. I simplified it by removing the access holes for the driveshaft pins as well as the slot for the links which were also just for ease of access. I didn't end up needing to print cross sections to figure out the clearance issue, I just made a few guesses as to where to make more spacce and I got lucky. This version fit perfect without having to carve the back side of the piece.

Bottom side

Now up on Thingiverse for free, download and print one yourself.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3544010
Very cool of you to help out your fellow crawlers. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Very cool of you to help out your fellow crawlers. 👍🏼

When I got started printing things I couldn't really design anything that complex and I leaned heavily on designs that were available for free so I thought it would be fitting to give back.

I'd also like folks to stop clinging to this idea that the hump is not an issue. Since I've left everything in their stock locations nobody should have anything to complain about now.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Nice, now that you have had it in for a while how is it working out on the trails?
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I can see where you are going with this but I haven't had a single instance where the hump caused any issue with unintended direction changes or hangups at the local crawler course or my makeshift one at home. No disrespect intended, but it looks to me as if you have increased the surface area that can potentially hang up on obstacles..say a pointed or jagged rock edge that would have cleared off to the side of the hump now can hit the lowered skid and hang up. Kudos to you for doing this for free though, can't argue with free
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I can see where you are going with this but I haven't had a single instance where the hump caused any issue with unintended direction changes or hangups at the local crawler course or my makeshift one at home. No disrespect intended, but it looks to me as if you have increased the surface area that can potentially hang up on obstacles..say a pointed or jagged rock edge that would have cleared off to the side of the hump now can hit the lowered skid and hang up. Kudos to you for doing this for free though, can't argue with free

You miss the point. Its not about surface area but a gentle ramp with a flat bottom that will allow it to drag across obstacles without interfering in this dragging. A hump will (and has) caused my truck to pivot around, it also takes a bit more effort to drag the hump over obstacles.

You may not ever experience this but to say its not an issue is purely anecdotal.

Have a look at every other skid out there, they are all very similar to what I've done. Most of them also hang below the chassis rails a similar distance, are all of those terrible skids I ask you?

Think of it more like a just in case mod more than a better performance all the time mod.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-23-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You miss the point. Its not about surface area but a gentle ramp with a flat bottom that will allow it to drag across obstacles without interfering in this dragging. A hump will (and has) caused my truck to pivot around, it also takes a bit more effort to drag the hump over obstacles.

You may not ever experience this but to say its not an issue is purely anecdotal.

Have a look at every other skid out there, they are all very similar to what I've done. Most of them also hang below the chassis rails a similar distance, are all of those terrible skids I ask you?

Think of it more like a just in case mod more than a better performance all the time mod.

not terrible skids, but many people have produced flat skids for the wraith and the scx10...the wraith tummy tuck mod comes to mind in order to minimize the skid hanging down below the chassis rails. The small hump has less material hanging below the chassis rails period and that matters more to me than the the skid being flat and more material hanging below the rails which is a definite hindrance. I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this, I wont change my mind and I wont change yours lol! It would be great if we lived close enough together to go on a few runs together to compare notes.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
I wont change my mind and I wont change yours lol! It would be great if we lived close enough together to go on a few runs together to compare notes.
Agreed!

I just dont like to see threads get dragged off into the weeds with all the theoretical talk, I didnt really want to get defensive but also wanted to head off any posts piling on to say "yeah this is pointless"

I'll just end this with this, the height of this skid due to the portals is so high that either way you have it doesn't really make a huge difference on most terrain.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Agreed!

I just dont like to see threads get dragged off into the weeds with all the theoretical talk, I didnt really want to get defensive but also wanted to head off any posts piling on to say "yeah this is pointless"

I'll just end this with this, the height of this skid due to the portals is so high that either way you have it doesn't really make a huge difference on most terrain.
I think I understand where you're going with this. It's not so much it being an obstacle that will hang you up, but rather something to help with the consistency of behavior when dragging that belly across rocks with expected results.

I haven't had an issue yet with the hump, but it's only because I haven't put the truck in a position to be affected by it yet. I'll probably give your skid a shot when I get a chance to take my Gen8 apart and get my friend to print out a bunch of parts that I've been wanting to try.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
It's not so much it being an obstacle that will hang you up, but rather something to help with the consistency of behavior when dragging that belly across rocks with expected results.
Thats a great description!

You're coming to Proline By the Fire right? I'd be happy to bring one for you.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats a great description!

You're coming to Proline By the Fire right? I'd be happy to bring one for you.
I really wish I could! It's only 1 to 1.5 hour drive away!

If I went, I'd probably get myself around to building the Ascender kit to join the Ascender crew. (K10 RTR claimed by my son...)

But you know... kid's sports leagues, etc...
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 8 3D printed Skid filler (WIP) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D printed tummy tuck skid? Brake Weight Axial Wraith 20 02-22-2020 06:15 AM
Gen 8 flat skid plate tesed! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 7 02-22-2019 07:35 AM
3D printed sway bar bracket/light mount (WIP) HumboldtEF Vaterra Ascender 32 01-30-2019 01:21 PM
Webbls 3D Printed Samurai WIP 1:10 webbl19 1.5 Scale Rigs 14 02-22-2018 06:45 PM
3D printed skid plate (low profile!) traxxial4life RC4WD Trail Finder 2 1 01-07-2016 08:18 PM