Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need some gen8 dimensions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Need some gen8 dimensions

Hey guys I'm in need of some info if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated... I'm looking for some dimensions... dimensions needed are as follows ...

Axle housing O.D, right at the outer pinion bearing, as well as the depth from bearing face to shoulder of the pumpkin

Center driveshaft O.D, need the O.D of the yolk as well as the O.D of the shaft itself.... This also includes the trans to transfer case shaft.. (if it's a different dia.)

Thank you for any help you can provide...its greatly appreciated
camaroboy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Need some gen8 dimensions

What do you need the dimensions for?

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #3

I make my own seal kits for the gen 7, looking to do the same for the gen 8... unfortunately I dont have a gen 8 with me at the moment, so reaching out for a couple dimensions... from what I gather the shafts look to be the same diameter.... but the pinion housing looks slightly different...
Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroboy383 View Post
I make my own seal kits for the gen 7, looking to do the same for the gen 8... unfortunately I dont have a gen 8 with me at the moment, so reaching out for a couple dimensions... from what I gather the shafts look to be the same diameter.... but the pinion housing looks slightly different...
personaly i think otters are way cooler than seals but hay a seal kit would be cool to dose your kit have fur or just molded plastic to look like fur

is the seal going to be able to run on land how dose the axle play in to the seal theme is it just some kind of seal body for the gen8 or somthing or did you make your own chassie for the seal dose it go under water to and how deep dose the seal go and how big is it is it a scale seal or a full sized seal

sorry cant help with any mesurments though i dont have any mesuring tools with me lol
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Yes,yes,and yes... lol... all of the above! But you would be cooler if you did have a dial caliper with you! Lol
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroboy383 View Post
Yes,yes,and yes... lol... all of the above! But you would be cooler if you did have a dial caliper with you! Lol
lol i play with toy truck thats thats so far from being cool lol

now dial calipers they are cool there has to be a cool kid in here somwere with a dial caliper in his pocket and a gen 8 in his other pocket

when do we get to see pics of these critters your kiting up
Old 04-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Lol, yes, well at least drop your shades so you look cool doing it .. lol..

Pics of the gen 7 kit can be found on thingiverse or ebay... they are 100% free to download off thingiverse, and sold on Ebay for those with no access to 3d printers. They are made of tpu with a shore hardness of a85 so flex very well...

With that being said, I will be needing a couple beta testers for these kits as well for some feedback... So, do you have a gen 8? Are you up for some testing?
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Where I'm from we call that a boot. I haven't printed with tpu yet. How do those hold up?

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:06 PM   #9

They are boots, and seals... pinion bearing seals and cv boots... they hold up great if printed correctly with anything 85a or softer... ninjaflex works well.. everyone that's purchased or printed the gen 7 kits has loved them... I personally got sick of replacing center shafts, so I came up with a solution...

Again.. I have reason to beleive the shafts are the same diameter, the axle housing looks to have a different o.d... hence the need for dimensions for the pinion SEAL kit...

Now that hopefully everyone is caught up on the name seal, we can get on to some dimensions.. anyone?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

its a 5x10x4 pinion bearing and there isent alot of meat around that bearing on the housing if that helps

just out of curiosity what center shaft are you replacing

bearings i can see but shafts not unless the bearing siezed
Old 04-22-2019, 04:55 PM   #11

Ahhhh.. we are getting there... 5mm will be the pinion shaft size... thank you... I know there isn't alot of meat there but guessing wont work...the seals press fit on the axle housing...so an exact measurement is needed... doesnt matter if it's a metric value or a decimal...
Old 04-22-2019, 04:57 PM   #12

Oh and the center shaft u joints are common failure in the 7.. as will be with the 8... dirt will grind away at the joint leading it to fail... a cv boot packed with grease keeps them alive and well
Old 04-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Axle housing O.D, right at the outer pinion bearing is 14.25-14.3mm

depth from bearing face to shoulder of the pumpkin is 0.3mm

Yolk has a few different dimensions the outer most metal ends are 11mm inners are 11.76mm
center portion of the shaft is 8.75-8.84mm outer driveshaft OD is 11.93mm

The tranny to transfer case shafts look very similar but the inner yolks are different (plastic, not metal) these are a bit more work to get at and measure so I'm not able to get those at the moment.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

My hat is off to you sir! Thank you for that info.. I would assume the smaller shaft is most likely the same diameter. I'm super appreciative of your efforts... by chance would you like to test a kit for me?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the offer I appreciate it. I have the Redcat metal driveshafts which are different diameters and they probably don't need a boot as much I assume.

Or is this also meant to keep water and mud from getting into the axle itself?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 PM   #16

No problem.. honestly any make or type of shaft will last longer with the boots and grease.. it's not a huge deal if your a dry terrain runner... but the swampy muddy dunks are a huge problem... it basically creates like a valve lapping compound and every articulation of that u joint just grinds the shaft pin bosses out.. eventually wollering out an oblong hole enough the joint binds and rips out...

As for the pinion seals they protect the outer pinion bearing from dirt and water... I know people will say "well, the gen 8 has rubber sealed bearings".. doesnt matter...we can all be honest with ourselves, these bearings, ( probably chineseium) do not have tight enough fits from inner to outer race to keep water out... these do and will make the pinion bearings last . Especially with proper maintenance...

If they are the same aluminum shaft style that the 7 had the boots will fit your setup...give them a measure... they should be only a hair larger..which is fine.. boot seals tighter..

One more thing if I could, the .3mm lip measurement isn't exactly what I was after and didnt realize the info when I looked through earlier... looking for length from pinion bearing housing face to the step on the meatball.. the step toward the ring gear direction... should be like a 5-8 mm number...

Offer is still on the table sir if interested...thank you again..
Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Ah I see, that one is 7mm from end to the step.

Im just not a water guy but I can appreciate the idea of having a grease boot.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

This interests me. Following to see what you come up with, and possibly give it a go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

ive done the boots like your saying lasted about 35 seconds then shreaded on the first rock i hit i have atleast 4 more in the packadge but i cant figure out any were to use them i run in water all the time muddy sandy water and never had a issue like is being discribed sure ive had the ears hog out but that was from over powering the rig not mud most of the drive shafts i run are rebuildable so it dosent realy matter the cv style actualy gets better with some ware on them weather there mip shafts or cheap chinese shafts

the reality of it is sand dosent realy do anything but polish the hardend steel so not realy a issue

i explode bearings before i ware them out no need to try to save them i buy them in 10 packs for about $2 and ive had very few outer pinnion bearing failures most have been replaced just because i was replacing the inner pinnion bearing or a locker bearing but the outer pinnion bearing rearly fails

the yeti xl guys have been running bottle caps for cups to protect there bearings and say they do a good job for a long time now so i dont dought they work but i just dont see a need on a crawler my yeti xl will hit 60 mph i could see using one there but i dont the gen8 dosent go fast enuff to eat bearings and dosent have enuff torque to split races so ill stick to changing them out every 6 months and call it maintanance and be happy about it
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #20

Trust me when I say it's not the torque or (power) wollering out the bosses... it's the sand, grit... lets put this in perspective a little bit.. if the sand and grit just polishes hardened steel, (which only the u-joint is tool steel by the way), grab a hand full of sand and grit and dump it in the engine in your car... I'm sure the hardened crank and cam need a polishing... I'm sorry but this is blatant misdirection...

Now onto the bearings, what do you beleive is the cause for a bearing to explode? It sure isn't because it's still a tight fit and lubricated... it's because either water or sand, or both have entered the races, grinding the balls and races away (which are hardened) by way of rust or grit...

The boots tearing on a rock, well yes of course, even a steel shaft will grind itself off against a rock with enough rotations.. that's a given...

These are nowhere near supposed to be a permanent fix, they are to prolong your bearing and u joint life... proper maintenance suggests your bearings and u joints should be cleaned and oiled after every dunk in water or mud.. which is still the case for proper maintenance, the seals and boots just add more protection from sand and water entering the parts...making maintenance schedules spread out some...this definitely doesnt hault all maintenance...

This is not meant to be a nasty reply, so please dont take it that way... just information... I've been in the auto industry for over 20 years and I can assure you sand and grit does not polish steel..it grinds it away...

I've had great feedback on every kit I've sold on Ebay for the gen 7.. plus if you have a 3d printer they are free to download... I design these parts for the crawling community to help people out with less parts cost...that is my main goal...

Need some gen8 dimensions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My gen8 00Pocho Redcat Crawlers 27 04-18-2019 04:31 PM
Gen8 Builds!? SIK_BOY Redcat Crawlers 6 02-19-2019 07:00 AM
First video of my Gen8 FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 5 02-01-2019 07:42 AM
Gen8 manual is up. Here's what we know Jim85IROC Redcat Crawlers 16 12-28-2018 02:13 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM