Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Outrunner KV1450

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Outrunner KV1450

I have this motor coming ...what would be a good pinion size for the stock everest spur (87T) ?
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Outrunner KV1450

Nothing?? Really??
Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No need to sound butthurt, odds are that you can count the number of people that have run a 1450kv outrunner on an E10 on one finger. We also have no idea what size tires you're running, what battery voltage you use, and what kind of speed you're after? You've got to help us, help you.

The stock motor is something like a 55t (roughly ~1000kv) so even your 1450kv will be significantly faster, all else being equal. With the stock chassis, 17 was the biggest pinion I could fit with the 87 spur, even then, the brushed motor can was touching the chassis. With an outrunner, you'll need at least some clearance, so I'd say 16 is the largest I'd suggest without also switching to a smaller spur. Any outrunner should pull that gearing without concern, even with big 2.2"s. If your outrunner has a 1/8" shaft (it seems most have a 5mm shaft, though my HH Revolver has 1/8") I'd just throw the stock 14 pinion on there and see how she does.

What's the rest of your drivetrain like? I wouldn't expect the stock plastic trans gears, plastic lockers, nor stock dogbones to live long at all with much more than 100watts running through them.

Instant gratification/facespace answer: 16 tooth
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Instant gratification/facespace answer: 16 tooth
Great...thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have tried outrunner on SCX 10 and it worked fine but it was a even low KV motor, but i kept drowning the receivers back then, but thats not a problem with the new stuff.
I want to try inrunner now, but are spending my money on other things ATM and actually don't get off my ass often and out there to drive.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Got the motor ...now Iam looking for a good esc. The one which came with it is hardly usable for a crawler Any ideas about a affortable ESC?
Old 05-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
RCC Addict

What's your budget?

The latest Castle SW4 is supposedly the smoothest non-sensored esc out there, but it's $80. I run my Revolver from a Mamba Micro X that I picked up used in a trade and it performs VERY well. An older Castle Sidewinder 3 would work fine too, and they're plentiful in the used market (though you take your chances if you can't test it in person before buying.) The biggest reason I'm recommending Castle is the programming adjustability (at a reasonable price point) since the drag brake on an outrunner can be downright violent. If you want cheaper still, any old brushless esc should work, so long as it has a drag brake function. Several of my non-sensored brushless Hobbywing esc's have adjustable drag brake, but their startup is very "rough" in comparison to my MmX.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks J , I was thinking about a used Castle ...you made my decission easier ;)
Edit: found a Mmicrox online new for 70 Euros....what program card will work on them ?? Only the Castle?

Last edited by themountain; 05-10-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Yes, you'll need the Castle Link usb connector to access all of the features. There is a "drag brake ramp" feature that really sets the X series apart and made all the difference in the world for smooth brake engagement (not instantly skidding and doing a front flip!) There is also the AUX wire that will allow you to toggle your drag brake on and off from your radio (if you have an extra channel available) that is a great feature if you want to pick up the pace.

Do be aware that the MmX has a pretty weak 2a BEC, so an external BEC would be a good idea if you're running much larger than the stock servo. I had a Castle 10a BEC laying around, so the MmX was a great option for me, but if I had to buy a new BEC ($20) a Castle Link ($20) and the cost of the used MmX (you said about 70 Euros, but I think they're only $80 new) I'd probably skip that and buy a brand new MambaX for $130. The standard MambaX has a very strong (8a) BEC, and Castle includes a certificate for a free Castle Link inside the box. Also, low kv motors (such as our outrunners) really come to life with more voltage, the MmX is limited to 3s batteries, but the MambaX can run 6s!... though I'd say 4s would be appropriate for a 1450kv motor.

I know that ESC is nearly the cost of a stock Everest 10 (which is why my son's is still brushed) just some things to consider.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

awesome...thanks a bunch J!

Outrunner KV1450 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
outrunner Q j_wamp Electronics 2 02-24-2010 10:56 PM
Outrunner stack'o'rocks Electronics 2 10-16-2009 05:14 PM
Outrunner help! theslowguy Electronics 13 07-23-2009 12:12 AM