Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my gen8 panhard bar mod and brace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default my gen8 panhard bar mod and brace

so i moded my front end i added a longer rod end to one side and made a new chassie side panhard mount and moved the panhard bar to the front of the bracket and that alowed me to brace off the panhard mount off to the upper link mount with a longer screw and another rod end the front end is real solid now with almost no bump steer and less axle swing i also mounted up a set of 2.2 hyraxes i realy like the way they look but they dont perform as well as i thought i was pulling off lines with the stock tires that i couldent with the hyrax but the stock tires just dont fit the wheel wells like the 2.2s do
so enuff babble hers the pics

Last edited by ferp420; 04-03-2019 at 07:46 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: my gen8 panhard bar mod and brace

Thats a pretty nice mod you came up with, what would you charge to make another chassis side panhard mount?
Crawl-N-Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like your approach to bracing that lower panhard mount!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like the brace on the bottom of your pan hard! Going to apply this to the gen 7!
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Nice work, whats the long screw like 35-40mm?

I guess its a 2 for 1, bracing the panhard and adding double shear to the upper link

I'll be rummaging through my spares to see what I can round up, I should have all these bits.

I'd be curious to see how 2.2's look, you got any pics?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-05-2019 at 02:23 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl-N-Clod View Post
Thats a pretty nice mod you came up with, what would you change to make another chassis side panhard mount?
now that i think about it i would move the panhard mounting hole down a 1/8 of a inch so i wouldent have to shave the servo horn down to get the angles alittle more parrallell i should have lined it up before i drilled the hole other than that i wouldent change anything i sugest makeing a cardboard templet then tracing it out on some aluminum i had to heat the aluminum up to bend it enuff to work i broke the first 3 brackets i tryed to make lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I like your approach to bracing that lower panhard mount!
thanks yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvrc View Post
I like the brace on the bottom of your pan hard! Going to apply this to the gen 7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Nice work, whats the long screw like 35-40mm?

I guess its a 2 for 1, bracing the panhard and adding double shear to the upper link

I'll be rummaging through my spares to see what I can round up, I should have all these bits.

I'd be curious to see how 2.2's look, you got any pics?

ya its a 35mm i never thought about the double sheere but ya a 2ffr on that for sure

Last edited by ferp420; 04-05-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

heres a short vid of the g8 with the 2.2 hyraxs
https://youtu.be/jAva5Bx6HE0

the hyraxs dont have foams in them there running my new tire suport system you can see the tires working but they only wrinkle they dont wad up and are still soft enuff to grip the rocks and will never get flat spots even stored sitting on its wheels with 2 other rigs sitting on top of them and they dont hold water ive run them on a20lb truck and this g8 and they work great they side hill better than any foam ive ever ran and are almost imposable to flaten out ill share someday when im done testing the set up or need a size i cant sorce my self and need some big company to step up and take over lol
Old 04-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ferp420, check your PM's
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I took soon measurements and the bracket started as a 1 1\4" square piece of 1\16 thick aluminum imagine drawing a line of through the middle and then again from the other side so it looks like crosshairs or a x or what ever then cut down one line till it meets the other lines then bend one tab one way and the rest the other way
One side note the tolerances are tight so you need counter sunk screws for the panhard bar mount so it doesn't rub on the springs and also were it bolts to the original mount so it doesn't rub the rod end I'm uploading a quick video of making one so I'll link it once its done uploading
Also shows my shotty fab work up close lol
You may want to turn the sound down though there's a bit of stonerbabble going on lol

link to vid
https://youtu.be/o9FLQOecTGo

Last edited by ferp420; 04-15-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
so i moded my front end i added a longer rod end to one side and made a new chassie side panhard mount and moved the panhard bar to the front of the bracket and that alowed me to brace off the panhard mount off to the upper link mount with a longer screw and another rod end the front end is real solid now with almost no bump steer and less axle swing i also mounted up a set of 2.2 hyraxes i realy like the way they look but they dont perform as well as i thought i was pulling off lines with the stock tires that i couldent with the hyrax but the stock tires just dont fit the wheel wells like the 2.2s do
so enuff babble hers the pics

What is the advantage?
atholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by atholliday View Post
What is the advantage?
To stop the panhard mount from wiggling. It comes loose.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

also the longer panhard bar helps reduce axle swing its so minimal its not realy a advantage just makes me feel beter
Old 04-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
also the longer panhard bar helps reduce axle swing its so minimal its not realy a advantage just makes me feel beter
I went a similar rout after I saw yours, I didn't have anything laying around to build a mount BUT i did have an old vaterra mount. I cut the panhard mount off the shock mount and used it. I had to make a new panhard link and had to cut the original mount off but it works like a charm.. I used the same hole on the frame as you then just drilled the other mounting hole for the mount.. going to brace up the axle mount like yours next.. steering link and panhard link align perfect and i've got NO bump steer what so ever through all range of motions..

58378952_2085785034823727_8355567709945069568_n by Blake Love, on Flickr
Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl-N-Clod View Post
I went a similar rout after I saw yours, I didn't have anything laying around to build a mount BUT i did have an old vaterra mount. I cut the panhard mount off the shock mount and used it. I had to make a new panhard link and had to cut the original mount off but it works like a charm.. I used the same hole on the frame as you then just drilled the other mounting hole for the mount.. going to brace up the axle mount like yours next.. steering link and panhard link align perfect and i've got NO bump steer what so ever through all range of motions..

58378952_2085785034823727_8355567709945069568_n by Blake Love, on Flickr
right on looks factory lol i like sharing id3as and see were other people take them
Old 04-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
right on looks factory lol i like sharing id3as and see were other people take them
I hear ya, I was gonna go with the Wertymade mount but I just didn't see paying $50 for a mount and just happen to have the Vaterra one and it worked perfect. I need to get some longer bolts to brace up the mount on the axle. I'm waiting on servo mount bracket from HumboldtEF to properly get my servo moved (currently jerry rigged) then I should be done with the frontend modes unless something new pops up..
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

ferp and crawl, you guys did some good work. i have had my gen8 build sitting at idle for a couple reasons, one in which is the panhard set up. i actually am in the mind set to lower the overall rig down some which would require a modification to the panhard, glad i saw this thread today for brain storming.
crawl n clod, how did you end up modifying the vaterra mount? could you post up any other pics please...
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
crawl n clod, how did you end up modifying the vaterra mount? could you post up any other pics please...
Sorry no other pics, if you had a vaterra mount you would see just how easy it was. All I did was just cut the mount off the body/shock mount. The panhard mount already has the two holes you need. You have to cut the original panhard mount off as it interferes with the new mount. As far as mounting the new mount use the first bolt in front of the shock and you'll have to take the shock loose and just drill your second hole. It sounds like a lot but once you have the vaterra mount in hand it all fall in place pretty easily. Sorry for rambling on..
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

sweet! that actually made perfect sense. ill see about rounding up a mount to try. thanks man!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
sweet! that actually made perfect sense. ill see about rounding up a mount to try. thanks man!
No problem, glad I could help..

my gen8 panhard bar mod and brace - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panhard bar Lemonlegs28 Axial SCX-10 23 07-12-2013 01:59 PM
bumper brace tube mod clutchburner Axial Wraith 11 10-17-2011 09:43 AM
easy shock brace/ chassis brace mod parker88 General Crawlers 0 12-09-2008 05:40 PM
Panhard bar? Cole82 General Crawlers 18 09-17-2005 09:18 AM