Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: M1tch gets P.A.C.K. ed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: M1tch gets P.A.C.K. ed

Thanks. There is still more to do, but a quick drive by the local river shows it's good, but could be better.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Nice progress! I see you got yourself a proper motor in there now. Just an FYI the RCWORLD trx4 servo horn eliminates the bump steer for about $13.00 usd for 2 of them. There are other manufacturers that make the low profile horns as well, but these were inexpensive and would allow me to replace mine and my son's at the same time. The key is getting the mounting point about the same as the top of the servo because that slight change in angle lines the steering link up with the angle of the panhard bar. This was one of the changes they made on the AXE.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Yeah a proper motor. It needed spacing off the mount a bit to get the pinion to line up properly. A different pionion may work better. The pahard bar is a bit too long as the axle is offset about 3mm, but when I make up an aluminium bracket to replace the plastic one, I will make it thicker and allow for that. Once that is set up, I might look at repositioning the servo to get better geometry.

Last edited by M1tch; 05-26-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:41 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Got the aluminium panhard mount made. It's 5mm thick so helps pull the axle centred. Just have to sort out steering now.

Last edited by M1tch; 05-26-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tch View Post
Yeah a proper motor. It needed spacing off the mount a bit to get the pinion to line up properly. A different pionion may work better. The pahard bar is a bit too long as the axle is offset about 3mm, but when I mage up an aluminium bracket to replace the plastic one, I will make it thicker and allow for that. Once that is set up, I might look at repositioning the servo to get better geometry.
I'm not a huge fan of the motor / pinion gear setup either. I did end up using a Robinson Racing #1717 and it seems to have a bit more bite on the motor shaft than the stock brass one. It's been on there for around 50 miles now and hasn't come loose yet. I also noticed with the brass pinion that just minimal running around the house it was starting to wear and put a brass film on everything.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
RCC Addict

The Reedy motor was ok as the shaft is long enough, but the Holmes has a much shorter shaft and I can just get the pinion on and tighte the grub screw. Also the Holmes being a 550 the tabs for the wires just miss the steering servo case. I have changed the servo horn for a longer one the get better steering and also the steering link is longer and parralell to the panhard rod. A lot less bump steer and minimal side to side movement now.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Made up a rear bumper as the body was catching on stuff a lot. I found this chrome one whch is partly painted black so would hopefully fit the style of the truck. A small 4mm abs plate with a few holes and job done.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Final steering setup. I found a 4mm link that was perfect length and also a longer servo horn as the short one was causing the servo too much rotation. The panhard and steering links now sit paralell at ride height and no bumpsteer now.