Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #21
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Olympia
Posts: 52
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Yes I run 3s in mine. Then it's about perfect.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

I agree. Picked up a 2200 small 3s pack today. Made a huge difference in the quickness. In the gen8 with the HH 27t was just perfect, like stock top speed with way more control. In the TRX it was awesome too, maybe a tad jumpier than I'm used to. Now I need to get a coupole more 3s packs. Considering another 2200 and then a large one... or more...
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hickory,NC
Posts: 238
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

I run 5200 3s packs. Our private trial is about 2.5 hrs. long and growing.
I just pulled the 17t out and installed the HH 27t 550 Trailmaster Sport.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Raleigh-ish vicinity
Posts: 3,243
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
They're great looking parts, but, if you can find them in PETG, I would do that.
The Bowhouse skid is printed in glass filled nylon, it is way beyond PETG in strength.

The Club 5 servo mount, however, needs a serious rethink in material. I have seen videos where the mount essentially folds in on itself when using a really strong servo. It seems like a pretty good design but the execution is lacking.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #24
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Olympia
Posts: 52
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Bowhouse skid is printed in glass filled nylon, it is way beyond PETG in strength.

The Club 5 servo mount, however, needs a serious rethink in material. I have seen videos where the mount essentially folds in on itself when using a really strong servo. It seems like a pretty good design but the execution is lacking.

I picked up one of those mounts and the link kit. The mount lasted one session. I did email the company about it and they refunded my order. There is a metal version in production.



I ended up using their plate as a template and made my own from a 1/8" thick piece of alum. Works amazing now. Originally I was going to fill the front but it is stiff enough to not flex. I also re mounted my bumper on top of the plate and it raised it up just right.












olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hickory,NC
Posts: 238
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Dang I ordered the club5 servo mount and links yesterday.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #26
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Olympia
Posts: 52
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cul8tr View Post
Dang I ordered the club5 servo mount and links yesterday.

The links are good... The plate is suspect in the blue plastic. Worse case is to try it and if it breaks contact them. They seem to have worked with a few people already.... or see about a refund/return now.



One word of caution if you do end up keeping it... One of the inserts that you use to mount in the front pulled out on my install. There was a bit of glue at the bottom of the hole that the screw bottomed out on. When tightening it pushed the insert out. I caught it before it went too far. The solution was to get a small drill close to the size of the bolt and sort of ream out the excess epoxy.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
dezfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Happiness is a warm AK.
Posts: 12,187
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Seems like a lot of work to 3D print when the flat plate mount similar to what made could be punched out for pennies?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 11
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
Long time lurker here...I'm thinking about buying my first crawler and I'm considering the Gen8 PACK. Has anyone tried either of the following:

Servo Relocation / Front Bumper Mount for Redcat GEN8 ( SLA Tough, 3DP ) https://ebay.us/yyXB3N

BWH-BRC-0010 BowHouse RC Redcat Gen8 N2R High Clearance Skid https://ebay.us/tO0eZM
Update: From a long term durability point of view, I felt the Gen8 might give me issues. I decided to buy a TRX4 sport kit instead. So, I wish you all the best success with your Gen8 rigs.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: US
Posts: 7
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

I would do the upgrades lined out in the build playlist I think a must have is magnet upgrade and then the tires sounds like you already had covered. Crawl on and good luck. I will be curious to hear on the electronics that's something I haven't touched.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PJ-g5Dpf-HZ2aD


Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
lridescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,368
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
I picked up one of those mounts and the link kit. The mount lasted one session. I did email the company about it and they refunded my order. There is a metal version in production.



I ended up using their plate as a template and made my own from a 1/8" thick piece of alum. Works amazing now. Originally I was going to fill the front but it is stiff enough to not flex. I also re mounted my bumper on top of the plate and it raised it up just right.












Saved me from buying that servo mount. Given that, the servo position is exactly what the Gen8 needs to get that draglink to be properly lined up, and minimize bumpsteer.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wichita
Posts: 264
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The Bowhouse skid is printed in glass filled nylon, it is way beyond PETG in strength.



The Club 5 servo mount, however, needs a serious rethink in material. I have seen videos where the mount essentially folds in on itself when using a really strong servo. It seems like a pretty good design but the execution is lacking.
Glass filled nylon can be good as long as the proper parameters are used. Sounds like maybe they do it right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: US
Posts: 7
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

I am super happy with the following additional upgrades. Have options for the different terrain I think is a must. Bash on.

https://youtu.be/EbIB5qTaHRc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
lridescout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: San Jose
Posts: 21
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
A GREAT upgrade would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. That will help immensely with start-up, as would a better radio. If you don't want to spend a ton, I'd just get the ESC for now.

Otherwise I'd also say a good investment would be a better motor, I'd recommend a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 can 21t or 27t.

ESC is about $40, motor is about $20. There is no way that you can improve the truck for less money on my opinion.

As far as radio, I really like my Spektrum DX5C! ($129 with a 5ch receiver last I knew.)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

hey man, i read this advice and went with the 1080 esc as my 3rd upgrade (first was the servo and tires) - boy was i surprised! the RC Driver YT channel was saying 'upgrade your radio if u wanna get rid of the twitchiness!' but i upgraded the ESC first and holy cow it was NIGHT... and DAYYYyyy. FYI peeps, u dont need to update the radio to get wider turn radius or get rid of the twitchy throttle - a 20 dollar servo upgrade and a $40 esc did the trick.

anyways, i updated the radio regardless went with a DX5c, went with a 4 channel reciever (btw i thought that was weird that the onyl two options it comes with is either a 4 channel or 6 channel reciever, when its a 5 channel transmitter). the 4 channel reciever fits better in the gen 8's reciever box.

I got a winch hooked up to it now, waiting on some lights for the 4th channel.

btw, i also picked up both the 21T and 27T trailmaster 550's. ended up using the 27T more since i notice i dont use topend speed as much. both great motors. a thing to note is the stock 17T will flip the truck at 100% throttle & 100% turn, the 21T will also flip the truck when turning @100% throttle, the 27T will 3 wheel it at 100% throttle when turning (all on 3S Lipo)
crick0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: US
Posts: 279
Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by crick0234 View Post
hey man, i read this advice and went with the 1080 esc as my 3rd upgrade (first was the servo and tires) - boy was i surprised! the RC Driver YT channel was saying 'upgrade your radio if u wanna get rid of the twitchiness!' but i upgraded the ESC first and holy cow it was NIGHT... and DAYYYyyy. FYI peeps, u dont need to update the radio to get wider turn radius or get rid of the twitchy throttle - a 20 dollar servo upgrade and a $40 esc did the trick.



anyways, i updated the radio regardless went with a DX5c, went with a 4 channel reciever (btw i thought that was weird that the onyl two options it comes with is either a 4 channel or 6 channel reciever, when its a 5 channel transmitter). the 4 channel reciever fits better in the gen 8's reciever box.



I got a winch hooked up to it now, waiting on some lights for the 4th channel.



btw, i also picked up both the 21T and 27T trailmaster 550's. ended up using the 27T more since i notice i dont use topend speed as much. both great motors. a thing to note is the stock 17T will flip the truck at 100% throttle & 100% turn, the 21T will also flip the truck when turning @100% throttle, the 27T will 3 wheel it at 100% throttle when turning (all on 3S Lipo)
Very nice, glad I could help you out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Essential Gen 8 Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most essential upgrades / mods? Turtlejon Vaterra Ascender 22 05-30-2017 11:39 AM
Essential upgrades? UnknownCrawler Vaterra Ascender 3 03-06-2017 07:41 PM
Essential mods and upgrades? Jigs Axial Wraith 3 12-10-2012 07:59 PM
Essential Vanquish upgrades Mysterious Axial XR10 17 11-30-2011 05:03 PM
Essential upgrades cbr6fs Axial XR10 22 11-07-2010 05:50 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com