Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #1

Default Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

So I got my Gen 8 back in February and love it but I haven't done much to it. Besides a servo and some wheel weights, its stock. I know there are tons of info on this out there, but I want people's opinions here. What are some absolute must upgrades to do for this rig?

I don't have a crazy high budget and don't want to go hundreds of dollars on one upgrade if you know what I mean. Maybe something a bit above middle ground. Should I go radio first, or aluminum portal covers? Aluminum Wheels and better foam? Maybe a hobby wing ESC?

Side question. I don't like the twitchiness of the Gen 8 start up. I want a slower, smoother crawl. Is that a ESC thing or radio? What is the best radio for the $100-150 range? Also , what does a good ESC go for?

Thanks for the input.
Gamer707b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer707b View Post
So I got my Gen 8 back in February and love it but I haven't done much to it. Besides a servo and some wheel weights, its stock. I know there are tons of info on this out there, but I want people's opinions here. What are some absolute must upgrades to do for this rig?

I don't have a crazy high budget and don't want to go hundreds of dollars on one upgrade if you know what I mean. Maybe something a bit above middle ground. Should I go radio first, or aluminum portal covers? Aluminum Wheels and better foam? Maybe a hobby wing ESC?

Side question. I don't like the twitchiness of the Gen 8 start up. I want a slower, smoother crawl. Is that a ESC thing or radio? What is the best radio for the $100-150 range? Also , what does a good ESC go for?

Thanks for the input.
A GREAT upgrade would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. That will help immensely with start-up, as would a better radio. If you don't want to spend a ton, I'd just get the ESC for now.

Otherwise I'd also say a good investment would be a better motor, I'd recommend a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 can 21t or 27t.

ESC is about $40, motor is about $20. There is no way that you can improve the truck for less money on my opinion.

As far as radio, I really like my Spektrum DX5C! ($129 with a 5ch receiver last I knew.)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
A GREAT upgrade would be a Hobbywing 1080 ESC. That will help immensely with start-up, as would a better radio. If you don't want to spend a ton, I'd just get the ESC for now.

Otherwise I'd also say a good investment would be a better motor, I'd recommend a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 can 21t or 27t.

ESC is about $40, motor is about $20. There is no way that you can improve the truck for less money on my opinion.

As far as radio, I really like my Spektrum DX5C! ($129 with a 5ch receiver last I knew.)

Couldn't agree more, the 1080 with holmes motor for 60 is best bang for the buck, couple that with a flysky radio/receiver and you're in less than a bill for it all. legit contender on the trails.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The stock ESC is fine imo. If you want excellent control put a holmes 550 27t in with stock gearing. The control is insane. No more jumpiness at all. Its because it has a 17t stock so the control isn't ideal. More basher speed.

The stock stires work pretty good but I would upgrade the wheels and foams atleast. The stock wheels are dished a little more then they should be so the front tires can rub on the stearing link ends.

The steel trans and transfer case gears are not required but they sure do help quiet it down. also less slop in the trans for better control.
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #5

Father's Day is coming up so I'm picking some goodies for my truck from the family LOL. Which particular flysky radio. I know there are a few. Is a 3 Channel enough or 5 Channel radio? Is a 5 Channel Overkill? Should I just invest in a hundred to $150 radio like a spectrum or Futaba is it really that much better than the flyski?

Also I don't mind spending an extra 20 bucks or so what's the difference between the homes Hobby 21 turn vs 27 turn?
Is it the higher the turn in the motor the faster top speed? Because I don't want top speed I just want a smooth or slower crawl.

Lastly can someone link me the hobby Wing ESC just to make sure I get the right one. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and please forgive the noob questions

Last edited by Gamer707b; 06-03-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Another vote for the HW 1080. I have one in both trucks now. I fried my TRX4 ESC forcing me to need a replacement, liked it so much bought one for the Gen8.

This is a fitting video about motors ... After watching the video I see how my truck lurches some. I may upgrade motor soon...

I also just upgraded to a 25kg servo off Amazon and the Club5 Racing servo relocation plate and big links. Time will tell if the 3d printed plate will hold up. It wasn't the easiest install since there are no instructions and there were a few minor clearance issues with the motor wires. However. it made a huge improvement to the steering geometry so it was well worth it to me.

Last thing was ditching the stock tire/foams. I got a set of dual stage foams but still didn't like the tires so much for my area, so I also just put on some proline Hyrax. Much better for where I spend most my time. I plan to get a new set of beadlocks. When I do I will throw the stock tires back on for more trail run type fun.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Father's Day is coming up so I'm picking some goodies for my truck from the family LOL. Which particular flysky radio. I know there are a few. Is a 3 Channel enough or 5 Channel radio? Is a 5 Channel Overkill? Should I just invest in a hundred to $150 radio like a spectrum or Futaba is it really that much better than the flyski?

Also I don't mind spending an extra 20 bucks or so what's the difference between the homes Hobby 21 turn vs 27 turn?
Is it the higher the turn in the motor the faster top speed? Because I don't want top speed I just want a smooth or slower crawl.

Lastly can someone link me the hobby Wing ESC just to make sure I get the right one. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and please forgive the noob questions

Here is the HW ESC...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the 1st one from Amazon, then I saw my LHS had it for a few dollars more so I got the 2nd one from them.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

For the money, Flysky Noble is probably the best radio system out there.

Any Hobbywing is going to treat you well if you buy the one that's rated high enough for your power setup... if that makes sense.

Power HD servos are excellent for the money.

Also, basic light kits are fairly cheap and add a nice touch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 PM   #9

This is bugging the hell out of me. Just got the Hobbywing ESC 1080. Im running stock 17T motor on my gen 8. Everytime I go forward or backward I get this constant beep. Then when I let go of either forward or backward the beep stops. Called Hobbywing and the rep said it was normal. My stock ESC certainly didn't do that. Could it be a bad combo with the Hobbywing and stock motor Im running? I messed with the stock radio settings and I can get the beep to stop but when I go forward again it had that constant beep again. Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is bugging the hell out of me. Just got the Hobbywing ESC 1080. Im running stock 17T motor on my gen 8. Everytime I go forward or backward I get this constant beep. Then when I let go of either forward or backward the beep stops. Called Hobbywing and the rep said it was normal. My stock ESC certainly didn't do that. Could it be a bad combo with the Hobbywing and stock motor Im running? I messed with the stock radio settings and I can get the beep to stop but when I go forward again it had that constant beep again. Any suggestions?
What kind of beep is it? They might not have understood you.

If you haven't already, set option #13 (PWM Frequency) to Setting #5 (16k).
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My 1080 esc and stock 17t motor are fine no beeps.
I understand that could get annoying. Like that dang on board audio noise.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

it sounds like a test mode or something i bet you can turn off the beeps if you had a programing box you might be able to do it with out the programer but i havent used that esc too much mine fried before i could get to deep in to it
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
What kind of beep is it? They might not have understood you.

If you haven't already, set option #13 (PWM Frequency) to Setting #5 (16k).
Hey your idea worked!! Just came home from work and did your suggestion. Thanks man, you're a lifesaver. That beep was so loud and almost made me want to put back my stock ESC.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey your idea worked!! Just came home from work and did your suggestion. Thanks man, you're a lifesaver. That beep was so loud and almost made me want to put back my stock ESC.
I think your description of "beep" threw people off. It's more like a "whine".
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I think your description of "beep" threw people off. It's more like a "whine".
Yup!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
The stock ESC is fine imo. If you want excellent control put a holmes 550 27t in with stock gearing. The control is insane. No more jumpiness at all. Its because it has a 17t stock so the control isn't ideal. More basher speed.

I just picked up a HH 550 27t yesterday. What a difference! Way more slow speed control. I was a bit surprised though how much slower it was at top speed..... guess its time for a 3s battery.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
I just picked up a HH 550 27t yesterday. What a difference! Way more slow speed control. I was a bit surprised though how much slower it was at top speed..... guess its time for a 3s battery.
Yes I run 3s in mine. Then it's about perfect.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #18

Question Re: Essential Gen 8 Upgrades

Long time lurker here...I'm thinking about buying my first crawler and I'm considering the Gen8 PACK. Has anyone tried either of the following:

Servo Relocation / Front Bumper Mount for Redcat GEN8 ( SLA Tough, 3DP ) https://ebay.us/yyXB3N

BWH-BRC-0010 BowHouse RC Redcat Gen8 N2R High Clearance Skid https://ebay.us/tO0eZM
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarton View Post
Long time lurker here...I'm thinking about buying my first crawler and I'm considering the Gen8 PACK. Has anyone tried either of the following:

Servo Relocation / Front Bumper Mount for Redcat GEN8 ( SLA Tough, 3DP ) https://ebay.us/yyXB3N

BWH-BRC-0010 BowHouse RC Redcat Gen8 N2R High Clearance Skid https://ebay.us/tO0eZM
I have the Bowhouse skid, I love it!

brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Having quite a bit of experience printing RC parts where strength is crucial I personally wouldn't buy anything that's not printed in PETG or PLA+ especially if you crawl anywhere that temps in direct sunlight can reach 100°F or higher. When the crawler is stirred inside your vehicle, temps cam reach hot enough to warp and/or destroy parts or bodies printed with PLA.
Also, PLA is strong but very brittle. PETG printed at 3mm thick or more will be far more durable than the same part printed in PLA with the same thickness.
They're great looking parts, but, if you can find them in PETG, I would do that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Essential Gen 8 Upgrades - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most essential upgrades / mods? Turtlejon Vaterra Ascender 22 05-30-2017 11:39 AM
Essential upgrades? UnknownCrawler Vaterra Ascender 3 03-06-2017 07:41 PM
Essential mods and upgrades? Jigs Axial Wraith 3 12-10-2012 07:59 PM
Essential Vanquish upgrades Mysterious Axial XR10 17 11-30-2011 05:03 PM
Essential upgrades cbr6fs Axial XR10 22 11-07-2010 05:50 PM