Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Everest 10 broken steering knuckle, what fits as replacement?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

Default Everest 10 broken steering knuckle, what fits as replacement?

Hi there, long time lurker, first post.

I have been working on my first RC for the last few months. Based on a lot of research on this forum I went with an Everest 10.

Having some fun yesterday and had one of the stock knuckles break. On looking around this forum it appears that the SCX10 knuckles may be a direct fit but I am having a hard time finding anything that is not shown as being for SCX10ii. steering knuckles interchangeable between SCX10 and SCX10ii?

i.e. could I buy knuckles for the SCX10ii and they would fit on the Everest 10? Im ok if they require a 'little' Dremel work to fit perfect. I just don't want to buy something that is totally not going to work.

I was contemplating going with brass and any recommendations on a brass knuckle that would fit would be appreciated. Im pretty cheap and it bites me in the ass all the time but this is what I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...AA608H1W&psc=1

Anyhow, thanks to the members for all the awesome posts. This is a great forum and helped me a lot with this new hobby.
Attached Images

MikeDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Everest 10 broken steering knuckle, what fits as replacement?

i dont think it will work wraith knuckles and c-hubs will though but you also need to trim down some xrmod shafts and change the locker out for.the axial locker the plus is way stonger axle and way better steering
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It will likely have to ship from China, but look on websites like aliexpress.com, Ebay, and Amazon for parts for the HSP Pangolin 1/10 crawler. They're the same thing as the Everest 10. You could also buy directly from Redcat Racing.

I would replace anything that breaks with metal parts with exception of the axle housings. Plastic slides over rocks better than metal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Also original SCX10 c-hubs will fit on the E10 axle housings with minor fitting. Then you could use SCX10 knuckles. But I think the bearings are different size. Some research in the big Everest 10 thread should answer that question.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

I appreciate the replies. Yes I did look at the "deeper look" thread and on the first post "Axial aluminum c hubs and knuckles bolt up".

I am trying to understand which axial knuckle he is talking about. I assumed it was SCX10 as a lot of other parts are interchangeable so started looking at SCX10 knuckles online but all I can find now are knuckles for the SCX10ii.

If I knew that the scx10ii knuckles work on the scx10 original I would buy them with pretty high confidence they would work but cant seem to find anything that says the knuckles are backwards compatible.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Here is my how to for fitting scx10 c-hub and knuckles as well as rear lockouts. I got axial gears and spools too as well axle shafts. (not scx10.2 different axles and parts)

axial parts in my everest axles

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 07-22-2019 at 12:21 PM.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Double posted
Old 07-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

hillbillyrc. I saw your thread as well. It inspired me to install axial overdrive gears in the front (might have contributed to the knuckle breaking?)

I understand SCX10 parts will fit now, thanks.

My question now is, are the SCX10 and SCX10ii c-hubs and knuckles interchangeable between old and newer model?

If I look on amazon and ebay I see a ton of knuckes for the SCX10ii but cant seem to find anything that just says SCX10 (without the two i's behind it).
Old 07-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

you night be able to fit the scx10ii c-hubs and knuckles witb new shafts and new axial locker on the everest axle or you might not let us know if you try ether way

the scx10 knucles and scx10ii knucles do not interchange differant spacing and offset

you can definitly use wraith parts but you would need knuckles c-hubs shafts and locker but will give you much better steering and be way more reliable

also original scx10 parts will fit the everest axles but like sead above the bearings are gona be differant redcat uses smaller bearings
Old 07-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Scx10.2 c-hub won't work mounting area is different.

Scx10 is like the Everest10 with two nubs that the c-hub slides over.
Scx10.2 is splined with multiple small ridges.

Beef tube could work for narrow xr mod but that is wraith/bomber/xr10 c-hubs,knuckles, and uni shafts.

Ebay is a great place to find the OG scx10 items.

Also buying a complete front axle bearing kit is a good idea. Lockedup rc as them pretty decently priced.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Thanks again for the replies. I actually already replaced the stock dog bones with Redcat CVAs as well as the alum locker so trying to replace just the chubs and knuckles if possible.

I will continue to search eBay for original scx10 knuckles. I’m also going to try to swing by my local store and see if they have any.

Will reply with what I find.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

If you wanted to gen 7 aluminum knuckles are a bolt on deal.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Jus thought I would post an update. I could not find any brass knuckles for OG scx10. I wanted to replace both the chubs and knuckles. Once again being cheap bites me in the ass.

I bought the "Hobbypark Steering Aluminum Knuckle & C Hub Carrier (L/R) Set for AXIAL SCX10"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it the next day and found a few issues.

The first pic shows how the scx10 chub will not fit the Everest axle. I was aware of this based on previous research so no big deal. Shave a mm off each side and good to go. The screws that came with the kit were too long and touched the shaft on the inside but no big deal as the original screws worked fine.

The second pic shows a more glaring issue. The holes in the new chubs did not line up with the holes on the axle when seated fully. I was able to solve by using a mini HF bastard file, luckily it fit the hole perfectly and didn't waller it out too much.

Beyond this they seemed to work well and the knuckles fit without issue. Steering is not any better than it was with stock knuckles with nubs shaved off but for the price I am ok with modding a lil bit. I used the bearings that came with the new kit for now and really didn't test fitment of other sealed bearings. They look like really poor quality bearings so prob will be replacing soon.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Miss read

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 08-02-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

the ones i used had sloted screw holes out of the box i think they were strc or some cheap chinesse brand but they were a direct bolt on after the nubs were shaved

the only way to get better steering would be the wraith c-hubs and knuckles i cut groves in the nubs and mounted the wraith parts on no $50 beef tube mod

Last edited by ferp420; 08-02-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

You should be able to get better steering using a universal or CVD joint type of front axle shaft and either high mount knuckles or a bent drag link.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
You should be able to get better steering using a universal or CVD joint type of front axle shaft and either high mount knuckles or a bent drag link.

the dog bones have better steering than the cv and they seem stronger ive broken so many cv style shafts its not even funny but i can count on 1 hand the # of times i broke a dog bone

the only way to get unis is to upgrade to wraith knuckles the only real option if you want stronger and better steering
Old 08-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I don't know about Redcat/HSP CVD axles, but no quality CVD axle I've ever used has had less steering than the dog bones when a proper setup with a bent or raised drag link is used.

Which have you tried?
Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I used clockable c-hubs, high steer knuckles, and cv axles steering angle is much better than the stock aluminum replacements. Only way to get more is xr mod but it isn't much more. If I had more I would be in my links and shocks so I would be at what I have now.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law_man01 View Post
Which have you tried?
losi redcat axial tamiya futaba rc10 the brand they fit dosent matter so much as who makes them but

most cv style axle will get some bind in them before the dog bones bind especialy true with the scx10 dosent matter if there axial brand cvds or cheep ones i think the vanquish ones had more steering but i spun the end off the dog bones are stronger but

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
I used clockable c-hubs, high steer knuckles, and cv axles steering angle is much better than the stock aluminum replacements. Only way to get more is xr mod but it isn't much more. If I had more I would be in my links and shocks so I would be at what I have now.
the universals are twice as strong as ether the cvds or the dog bones thats the main reason i went with the xrmod the steering angle is just a plus

Last edited by ferp420; 08-05-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Everest 10 broken steering knuckle, what fits as replacement? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat everest 10 unboxing and test broken! 😲 shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 06-20-2018 03:26 PM
Everest 10 knuckle weights Stangman66$ Redcat Crawlers 1 09-14-2017 10:57 PM
Replacement battery for redcat Everest 16 stock SteelEntreri Newbie General 3 05-01-2016 11:42 AM
Broken Knuckle and steering issues. bustedbinder Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 08-18-2013 11:46 AM