Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Love/Hate my Gen7 Pro - will portal axles rekindle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #1

Default Love/Hate my Gen7 Pro - will portal axles rekindle?

Got a Gen7 Pro around Halloween 2018.
I guess they had 'fixed' the steering knuckles and the links by then, but I still couldnt get a good radius from the thing as my tires would rub the springs and bounce. I have looked and looked at other ways to fix, $25 here, another $20. I even bought extended hex to widen the wheelbase - got a bit better but not what I want.
Now I see that there is a portal axle kit for the Gen7, I was look - oh nice - they can raise the pumpkin but not steer. Now I take a closer look and it appears they fixed the whole steering issue and ran a CMS bracket.
Anyone upgrade? How has it been?
rayraypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Love/Hate my Gen7 Pro - will portal axles rekindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayraypc View Post
Got a Gen7 Pro around Halloween 2018.

I guess they had 'fixed' the steering knuckles and the links by then, but I still couldnt get a good radius from the thing as my tires would rub the springs and bounce. I have looked and looked at other ways to fix, $25 here, another $20. I even bought extended hex to widen the wheelbase - got a bit better but not what I want.

Now I see that there is a portal axle kit for the Gen7, I was look - oh nice - they can raise the pumpkin but not steer. Now I take a closer look and it appears they fixed the whole steering issue and ran a CMS bracket.

Anyone upgrade? How has it been?
I helped beta test the portals, the CMS helps, but the way they attached the steering link is a very big weak point in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The fix for your tire rub is to inboard the chassis end of the lower links. Proper triangulation of the suspension will also help with any torque twist you may have.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
the_law_man01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 AM   #4

Hey there, I had the same issue , car was pretty sweet but lacked steering and clearance compared to my scx10ii.
I bought and installed the portal axle kit, changed the gearing, (which brings it closer to original speed but not quite there) and the portals did solve those two issues of clearance and improved steering.

over all I would say it definitely is a big upgrade to the original gen 7, ( I like it way more now) but with the cost of the portal kit it has turned from a pretty in inexpensive crawler to kinda comparable to the cost of a nicer RTR out of the box crawler from another brand.

so you gotta ask is it worth putting another 120$ into the redcat? or just put that towards another crwaler ;)
tumalocrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

do what the law man sead then after that to get more steering your gona need to do the xrmod ether narrow or full i went narrow you would need the axial iron cross locker and ether xrmod shafts cut down a bit for the narrow mod or buy narrow mod shafts or full width xrmod and buy the beeftubes then xrmod shafts wraith c-hubs and knuckles not cheap but cheaper than portals and honestly i think im gona swap out my portals for scx10ii axles the portals have a few weak links and im not sure there worth upgrading at this point
look at the everest 10 thread the rigs drivetrain is almost identicle and the same mods for the e10 will apply to the gen7 notably the skid plate mods
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Love/Hate my Gen7 Pro - will portal axles rekindle? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GEN7 portal axle upgrade FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 17 06-20-2021 11:14 PM
Gen7 portal axle notchy, especially after upgrade... Everest10Dad Redcat Crawlers 5 04-05-2019 12:36 PM
Redcat Everest Gen 7 Pro - Portal Axles cjhike Videos! 0 11-18-2018 07:10 PM
Love Hate relationship JustMe 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 12-03-2010 04:54 PM
I Love/Hate RCRC........ Robb Chit Chat 50 07-18-2007 04:17 PM