Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen7 Portal Upgrade Kit Qaulity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gen7 Portal Upgrade Kit Qaulity

I am thinking of building a custom crawler with portal axles, and am considering using the Gen8 axles for it. This seems like it might be a good low cost option. However I see that quite a few people have problems breaking gears and such, but I didn't know if this was all that common. Overall does this seem like a decent portal axle that might be worth using on a custom build?

Thanks,
Stomp
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gen7 Portal Upgrade Kit Qaulity

Is it that bad that no one wants to answer? :-)
Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

You hear a lot about it because people who break stuff tend to be more vocal than those who don't. There are a bunch of people breaking them, but there's also plenty who aren't. Now that Redcat has the updated axles & housings available, even if you do break something, you have an affordable upgrade path.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i think the redcat portals are as good as any other brand of portals the traxxass axles have more options available and are a slightly beter design and stock take offs are about the same price as the redcat axles

the redcat axles are fine as long as you dont get crazy on the power the front portal gears that usaly fail are cheap and vary easy to change they work like a fuse and save the rest of the parts
there are some realy nice upgrades available for them and new stuff is coming out all the time

the axial portals seem to have the best design for the front portals but i would imagine they have gear issues aswell just cause the gears are so small i cant see them being much stronger than the others there still realy new so time will tell
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

They're not as good as the Traxxas portals but I'd still use them. The parts are cheap if you do break. I only say this because I have both.
MaxxRPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I put a set on my Gen 7. They're great. I've beat on them a bit and had no problems. For $90, you can't beat them.
GChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

I put the Portal Upgrade kit on my Gen7. I have beat on it a bit and hand no failures yet.
Redcat listened to owners on the Gen8 and addressed issues with the Portal Axles with some re-engineered parts and upgraded metal parts. This seems to have improved the Portal Axles in the Gen 8 Axe.
These upgrades are not in the Portal kit, but can be purchased through Redcat Parts on their website.
I plan on upgrading as I break stuff. So far so good.
xxx_NEWK_xxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen7 Portal Upgrade Kit Qaulity - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GEN7 portal axle upgrade FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 17 06-20-2021 11:14 PM
Love/Hate my Gen7 Pro - will portal axles rekindle? rayraypc Redcat Crawlers 4 08-11-2019 08:01 AM
Gen7 portal axle notchy, especially after upgrade... Everest10Dad Redcat Crawlers 5 04-05-2019 12:36 PM
Gen7 upgrade portals mgputer Redcat Crawlers 0 03-02-2019 05:20 AM
NOW IN STOCK the Redcat Racing Portal Axle Upgrade Kit For Gen 7! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-20-2019 06:05 PM