Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: new redcat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: new redcat?

But castle is not better. That's not even an opinion. Ask any non biased Hobby shop. Heck me and my buddies have gone through a number of castles. Castle is not close to being nearly as consistent. They have nice bells and whistles. The quality and consistency of their electronics is not up to par with Hobbywing. I have yet to burn out any of my I want to say 10 Hobby wing ESC's. I have a couple Castles shelved. Castle has a whole lot of hype, advertisement, and rely on catchy accessories like their link cable etc. Hobbywing were involved in on and off road racing overseas before Castle was ever thought of. Literally all 4 Hobby store owners I know will tell you the same. Castles seem to burn out more then a Hobbywing. Check this out. Me and my buddy were at Axialfest 2017 and if you have bern to one then you'll know you work your motors and ESC's hard. 10 trails all about 2 hours to get through. Give or take. My buddy Ryan burnt up his somewhat new Castle not even in a hard trail spot. He had to use a cheaper WP1060 from Hobbywing the rest of the time. That's not even close to their best crawler esc. It's their cheapest brushed esc. Axials VANgaurd system is rebranded Castle. The same system in the Yeti. Axial has 2 stock ESC's the AE5 and the AE2. The AE5 is a Hobbywing. The AE2 is a castle. The AE5's always seem to last longer. I have 3 still in 3 of my crawlers and not one problem. The AE2 I was using burnt up. I am not saying this is typical of Castle, but they are sacrificing quality for some hype and options they do have. Don't be biased with Castle. I used to be and I was corrected by my own experience and knowledge of people who race and Local Hobby Shop workers and owners. Brushed and brushless. Hobbywing is alot more consistent. John Holmes of Holmes Hobbies uses the Axe ESC with his motors. He has his own rebranded ESC's as well and still talks good about the AXE system. One thing I know fairly thoroughly is electronics. I used to work on Radar fire packages for the Navy. That is not to brag. Just insite.

Last edited by Ctrain57; 12-02-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain57 View Post
But castle is not better. That's not even an opinion. Ask any non biased Hobby shop. Heck me and my buddies have gone through a number of castles. Castle is not close to being nearly as consistent. They have nice bells and whistles. The quality and consistency of their electronics is not up to par with Hobbywing. I have yet to burn out any of my I want to say 10 Hobby wing ESC's. I have a couple Castles shelved. Castle has a whole lot of hype, advertisement, and rely on catchy accessories like their link cable etc. Hobbywing were involved in on and off road racing overseas before Castle was ever thought of. Literally all 4 Hobby store owners I know will tell you the same. Castles seem to burn out more then a Hobbywing. Check this out. Me and my buddy were at Axialfest 2017 and if you have bern to one then you'll know you work your motors and ESC's hard. 10 trails all about 2 hours to get through. Give or take. My buddy Ryan burnt up his somewhat new Castle not even in a hard trail spot. He had to use a cheaper WP1060 from Hobbywing the rest of the time. That's not even close to their best crawler esc. It's their cheapest brushed esc. Axials VANgaurd system is rebranded Castle. The same system in the Yeti. Axial has 2 stock ESC's the AE5 and the AE2. The AE5 is a Hobbywing. The AE2 is a castle. The AE5's always seem to last longer. I have 3 still in 3 of my crawlers and not one problem. The AE2 I was using burnt up. I am not saying this is typical of Castle, but they are sacrificing quality for some hype and options they do have. Don't be biased with Castle. I used to be and I was corrected by my own experience and knowledge of people who race and Local Hobby Shop workers and owners. Brushed and brushless. Hobbywing is alot more consistent. John Holmes of Holmes Hobbies uses the Axe ESC with his motors. He has his own rebranded ESC's as well and still talks good about the AXE system. One thing I know fairly thoroughly is electronics. I used to work on Radar fire packages for the Navy. That is not to brag. Just insite.
You're mostly comparing the OEM junk that Castle happens to make and using that as your basis for bashing the Castle brand. Anybody can make OEM junk to a certain price point. That has little bearing on a brand's quality. The Castle Mamba X is probably the single most recommended brushless ESC for crawling, and for good reason. It's a fantastic ESC. Hobbywing makes a lot of great ESCs too, but the AXE ESC is designed to work with the AXE motors, and the combined result is a completely different take on a closed loop control system that not everybody prefers.

I like a lot of the Hobbywing stuff, and I think they offer great quality for the money, but they're hardly the only quality contender in the $200 motor/esc arena.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain57 View Post
your alowed your opinion i think your wrong and have a coffee can full of dead hobbywings including a few ae5s to base my opinion on not someone elses opinion castle has treated me well

the last time i had a local hobby shop to have good information was 30 some odd years ago when they recamended a product by this new company that just started up down the road called novak they had this new thing the electronic speed control and theres had reverse built in
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

I've seen a few social media posts from people saying their Redcat sales reps are telling dealers this one will be $499.

Of course, you would have to put faith in social media being an outlet for reliable information so take that for what you will.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I've seen a few social media posts from people saying their Redcat sales reps are telling dealers this one will be $499.

Of course, you would have to put faith in social media being an outlet for reliable information so take that for what you will.
im gona hold out for the super scout II doorless topless with the ssii badging

or a terra pick up that would be pretty sweet also even a half cab maybe a superscout with the door inserts and a half cab thats a cool look too
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
im gona hold out for the super scout II doorless topless with the ssii badging

or a terra pick up that would be pretty sweet also even a half cab maybe a superscout with the door inserts and a half cab thats a cool look too
I love the scout but for performance the back end sticks out too far. I only need one scout. I would really like to see an international pick up of some variation or it would really make my day if they made an FC170. This is the most beautiful truck ever.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Ooh, ahhh!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #68
RCC Addict

COOL!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

They should've taken the opportunity to fix the mismatched fender shapes while they were at it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #70

Redcat Blog post: Redcat releases the International® Scout II Gen8 AXE Edition RTR crawler | #RedcatRacing | #FastAffordableFun
Redcat product page: https://www.redcatracing.com/Gen8-AX...#cv=GEN8%20AXE

Unfortunately for me, the interior seems to be molded into the new body, and not a separate piece, so short of buying an entire body and hacking it to fit my current truck, no interior for me!
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

I know that no stock truck will please everyone, but just look at all the progress Redcat is making. They're listening to their customers & heading in the right direction. There is a lot on this new truck to like & I'm curious to see what their next model will be like. I'm hoping for an actual kit somewhere down the line.
Steel gears, better axle housings & portal gears, flat skid, better servo, good radio, brushless, interior. All good improvements. There's still some redcat haters in here, but you can't deny they're on the move. Like it or not, they're one of "the big four" in the scaler market. And for the record, after almost a year, I have yet to break a portal gear or axle housing. I just don't think they were big issues to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I know that no stock truck will please everyone, but just look at all the progress Redcat is making. They're listening to their customers & heading in the right direction. There is a lot on this new truck to like & I'm curious to see what their next model will be like. I'm hoping for an actual kit somewhere down the line.
Steel gears, better axle housings & portal gears, flat skid, better servo, good radio, brushless, interior. All good improvements. There's still some redcat haters in here, but you can't deny they're on the move. Like it or not, they're one of "the big four" in the scaler market. And for the record, after almost a year, I have yet to break a portal gear or axle housing. I just don't think they were big issues to begin with.

I agree. This truck isn't perfect, but it's a good truck, and has proven popular. If Redcat's upgrade parts truly fix the reliability issues, future versions of this truck with those parts will be a great truck.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Whether you like the electronics or not, I actually think it's a decent deal for the price. I might just pick one up to snag the electronics for trying them out in another rig.

I wish I didn't just buy a Flysky GT5 and Axe 2300kv... this would've covered me perfectly.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

I'll just go ahead & throw this out there now.....this forum needs a Gen8 sub section. The Enduro got one right away, why no Gen8 section?

Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I'll just go ahead & throw this out there now.....this forum needs a Gen8 sub section. The Enduro got one right away, why no Gen8 section?

Eh. I'm happy just to have this section. This isn't a super active section to begin with, so having the Redcat stuff combined helps keep it moving. Plus, with the portal kit available for the Gen7 and the similarity in the electronics packages, there's enough overlap in the models that having it all combined may be an advantage.

The Element is a completely unique vehicle from a company who only offers that single model, so it makes sense for it to stand alone.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Eh. I'm happy just to have this section. This isn't a super active section to begin with, so having the Redcat stuff combined helps keep it moving. Plus, with the portal kit available for the Gen7 and the similarity in the electronics packages, there's enough overlap in the models that having it all combined may be an advantage.

The Element is a completely unique vehicle from a company who only offers that single model, so it makes sense for it to stand alone.
It's racist if you ask me . Makes people think lesser and gets ignored. Forums are dead anyway. Facebook and YouTube is where it's at.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM   #77

$500 price - right where I guessed the minimum price to be. A $500 Redcat is a tough sell IMO and a hell no from me.

Are any of you planning on buying this?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
$500 price - right where I guessed the minimum price to be. A $500 Redcat is a tough sell IMO and a hell no from me.

I won't be buying one, but only because I have a Gen8 already (& it's nowhere near as bad as you make them out to be). I'll probably buy the body when they start selling it separately though. You gotta let go of that chip on your shoulder against redcat. It's not healthy

Old 12-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I'm tossing it around, but probably not. I've already upgraded everything on my Gen8 I'll probably just get the body when it comes available. I really like my Gen 8 and I really give Redcat credit for listening and trying, I never thought I'd have a Traxxas scaler and now I have 3 let alone have a Redcat anything. Part of this hobby for me is taking something that's not quite right and improving it, if everything was perfect right out of the box what fun would that be?
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

It will be good for people who don't have one yet but anyone who has an upgraded one if you really want it you can just buy the body. I have 3.5 so I'm good for now

new redcat? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to redcat hotrodsonoma Redcat Crawlers 2 03-04-2019 07:08 PM
redcat 1/8 importracerky General Crawlers 0 02-14-2013 10:35 PM