Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: new redcat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: new redcat?

I wouldn’t mind waiting for the body to turn up. I would just put in my current scout.
djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

I have modded the crud out of mine already. Chopped the top. I got the full 1975 interior kit from Adam Bavuso at Spare Time Hobbies and I made my own engine compartment with a 345 scale engine with all components on the firewall. I just want the cage from the new model. That's it. Alot lighter then me TIG welding my own. Maybe the decal sheet as well. More then likely you'll be able to buy the body right at or shortly after release.

Last edited by Ctrain57; 12-04-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Ctrain57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

I blew this off as another redcat but the development of this model has me more intrigued. The updates are the kind of thing we hope companies will do, listen to shortcomings and redesign for better performance. The look of the body and cage/interior. I think that its a decent trail rig for anyone.... minus the electronics. I am not a fan. I have a couple ae2 still running strong 5 years later, on 3s... I like castle. Castle has provided good customer service when I have needed it. The hw ae5 is not been successful in my rigs and has become the first thing I pull. I heard the axe system controls throttle in a way I would not desire...reefs has been good to me if not the easiest to submit a warranty claim with. Overall I’d pick one up 2nd hand i think if the price was right and i could swap out electronics
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I blew this off as another redcat but the development of this model has me more intrigued. The updates are the kind of thing we hope companies will do, listen to shortcomings and redesign for better performance. The look of the body and cage/interior. I think that its a decent trail rig for anyone.... minus the electronics. I am not a fan. I have a couple ae2 still running strong 5 years later, on 3s... I like castle. Castle has provided good customer service when I have needed it. The hw ae5 is not been successful in my rigs and has become the first thing I pull. I heard the axe system controls throttle in a way I would not desire...reefs has been good to me if not the easiest to submit a warranty claim with. Overall I’d pick one up 2nd hand i think if the price was right and i could swap out electronics
The electronics aren't what I'd pick either, but there's no denying that they're a substantial improvement over ANY other RTR crawler's offerings in that area.

Fortunately, I have to think that new versions of the standard Gen8 will have all of the chassis & suspension updates that this truck has... the better axles, better housings, new skid plate, etc. If Redcat addresses all of those issues and still sells the truck for $300, it'll be a real winner.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
$500 price - right where I guessed the minimum price to be. A $500 Redcat is a tough sell IMO and a hell no from me.

Are any of you planning on buying this?
I thought I had my mind made up for my next truck but this may have changed that. I personally feel that with the upgrades and electronics package this truck is priced very well.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Dork View Post
I thought I had my mind made up for my next truck but this may have changed that. I personally feel that with the upgrades and electronics package this truck is priced very well.
I agree. For the servo, radio, and brushless system I don't think you can go wrong with this rig. Purchased separately it would be over $700. Especially since they updated the skid and axles.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #87
RCC Addict

I also agree that it's a hell of a buy, had I not had the first Gen 8 with all of the upgrades I've done I would definitely be buying one, I think I'll just get the new body when it comes available. Redcat has come a long way and I think we are in for more good things to come, I don't care that there's a lot of people that don't like Redcat I really like mine.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I also agree that it's a hell of a buy, had I not had the first Gen 8 with all of the upgrades I've done I would definitely be buying one, I think I'll just get the new body when it comes available. Redcat has come a long way and I think we are in for more good things to come, I don't care that there's a lot of people that don't like Redcat I really like mine.
All brands will have haters. I'll give anything a chance. I still have my Losi Comp Crawler and modded Mini Rock Crawler Pro, a TRX4 Tactical, picked up 2 TRX4 Sports for my 6 and 8 year olds, and have a Axial UMG10. If I get a new kit I prefer to try new brands. I was ready to pull the trigger on the new Gmade Komodo Double Cab (and still may, just later) until I saw this one. Totally impressed with the fact that Redcat listened to consumers and made so many improvements on the truck alone. I know the Hobbywing esc/motor well. Built a Gmade GOM for a friend with the same combo. The GOM is a big crawler and the Hobbywing combo is awesome. It's super smooth, plenty of power, and REALLY quiet. Plus, the Bluetooth programmability is great. Oh, and though the Flysky radio is not a top of the line Sanwa or Futaba, it definitely doesn't require an upgrade. Truck looks like a winner to me.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

its a good deal if you are ok with the upgraded electronics if im gona spend 200 for a esc and a motor i want a mamba x decent motor the gt3c is only $50 it cost about $2 for the wires and programer to hack it but i already have one and a decent servo dosent cost that much ether the pack kit is only 130 the body kit for the gen8 is $100 so it is posable to build a better gen8 for around the same price
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr01974 View Post
I wouldn’t mind waiting for the body to turn up. I would just put in my current scout.
I had the same idea, until I saw that the clear body, without the cage and other parts, is priced at $65. Way too much for me to cut one up to add an interior to my current truck.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

They have a complete body with interior, cage every for 85 bucks. Not in stock yet but I hit the email me when in stock button
Old 12-07-2019, 12:34 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

https://www.redcatracing.com/RER12083
Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
$500 price - right where I guessed the minimum price to be. A $500 Redcat is a tough sell IMO and a hell no from me.

I am.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

I’m seriously thinking about it and selling my current gen 8
Old 12-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I plan to either get the first version and mod it, or get the Axe Edition and do a little less modding...
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’m seriously thinking about it and selling my current gen 8
Same. I'd probably rip out the electronics and put it in a different rig though, and give this one a 1080 + crawlmaster sport.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Same. I'd probably rip out the electronics and put it in a different rig though, and give this one a 1080 + crawlmaster sport.
Same here.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Just came across this
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F163982206407
Old 12-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a typo at best, seller has the same in its store at regular price.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's a decent deal, it's cheaper because it is a roller only, with no electronics.

With that price and the shipping, someone could get the truck with the upgrades and then buy the electronics of their choice and come out around the regular cost as it would have been with the GT5 and XERUN System.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 12-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

new redcat? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to redcat hotrodsonoma Redcat Crawlers 2 03-04-2019 07:08 PM
redcat 1/8 importracerky General Crawlers 0 02-14-2013 10:35 PM