Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 2S LiPo Battery for Gen8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2S LiPo Battery for Gen8

Hello from up north...

I am planning to purchase a Gen8 in the near future and that got me to thinking about all the new battery options.

If I were to go LiPo, how do I know what "C" Rating to get.
I looked at the Gen8 Manual and it did not say anything.

Anyone know where I can find this info.

I did see that the ESC is rated to 40 amps Continuous and 180 amps Peak.

Thank you for your help.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #2

Default Re: 2S LiPo Battery for Gen8

If you haven't bought a battery yet, go ahead and go right to 3S. The truck is soooo much better on 3S.

The "C" rating is a little bit difficult to recommend because it's just a multiplier of the battery capacity, so a 2000mah 30C battery isn't going to have the same discharge abilities as a 5,000mah 30C battery. Fortunately, brushed crawlers don't have huge current discharge needs, so you can get away with a more modest battery.

The batteries that I run in my Gen8 are a 3S 3300mah 30C and a 2S 3300mah 30C, and they are both adequate. But, the truck is vastly better performing with the 3S pack.

I'd suggest that if you go above 3,000mah, 30C will be adequate. If you go below 3,000mah, try to get something with a larger discharge rating, but that's a very generalized recommendation. Some brands lie more than others on their discharge ratings, and if you go up to 3S, the current demands decrease, so you could probably get away with a lower discharge rating.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks you very much. Have not bought the truck or battery yet.

My son has an Axial SC10 Deadbolt and I was looking for a similar rig to go crawling with him. The Gen8 seems like a decent platform, but at the same time having something different. Also looks like there are some pretty inexpensive DIY mods, so it'll be fun to have him tinker with me.

I just scanned through the manual again and was not sure what voltage was acceptable? The 3S's that I see are starting at 11.1v.

Looking on Amazon, seems I may have an issue getting them shipped to me...
That means I will have to pay a hefty "local" markup for batteries... That stinks.

Oh well, I guess that's the price of admission...

Thanks again for all the information
Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Hello from up north...

I am planning to purchase a Gen8 in the near future and that got me to thinking about all the new battery options.

If I were to go LiPo, how do I know what "C" Rating to get.
I looked at the Gen8 Manual and it did not say anything.

Anyone know where I can find this info.

I did see that the ESC is rated to 40 amps Continuous and 180 amps Peak.

Thank you for your help.
There is a lot to learn about LIPO batteries here's a web site that explains them. https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide.

Always Safety First! I have stayed with 2S 7.4volt 5000mAh 40C Gens Ace brand. So far they have lasted for 4 years and still run strong. Run time is over 1 1/2 hours trail driving and crawling in my Wraith. I have a 3S 11.4volt but it seems to much power for my liking also less of a chance breaking gears and axles and such. Main thing I learned was how to charge and store them. Use a LIPO BAG to charge and store and for even better safety I use a metal ammo box I got at Harbor Freight to transport and keep them in just in case. Get a good charger, one that does a multitude of charging duties and is both AC/DC.

Here's a good one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Charger-...c-0ca265614b38.

Read up on the care and feeding of LIPO's and you will be amazed at how long they can last.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info Ragenwraith, much appreciated.

Definitely a lot to learn and I agree, safety first.

2S LiPo Battery for Gen8 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lipo battery ducatibrian Traxxas TRX-4 4 07-15-2018 11:09 PM
Bomber battery tray wont fit new Lipo battery rock1997 Axial RR10 Bomber 10 08-20-2016 10:36 AM
What Zippy Lipo battery fits a Crawler King? Or whats your favorite 2c lipo battery? phunkodelic HPI Wheely King 20 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
Best Charger for Lipo batteries, and best lipo battery phunkodelic Electronics 12 06-14-2009 10:58 AM