Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Danchee ridgerock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #21

Default Re: Danchee ridgerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolden516 View Post
Jlane, yeah I love the shorter body look and by doing the pin spring mod the CG is way lower meaning its tipping point fwd to aft and side to side is way higher, so looks good and performance is better as well.
I think I might do the same. I just did the proline hyrax tires and added about 2 3/4 oz to the wheels. Picked up some sticky wheel weights from harbor freight and stuck them to inside of the wheel when I had them apart. I’m on the look out now for a metal MOA (motor on axle). I’m hoping I can find one that will fit! All the plastic worries me a little with the new servo!
Jlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Yes the wheels and tires on the danchee are the 2.2 size 100%. also here are side by side comparisons of a box stock wheel and tire vs my cut down wheel and with inflated tires. I cut 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch out of the back side of the rim, its easier to cut it from this side and you get more steering clearance and a wider stance this way. I then used longer strews to help secure the wheel and help alignment and straighten the wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 01-05-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: ad pics
bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

That video totally helped me understand why you’re stoked on it. And straight up and down couch mantle-ing.

Also cool to see you have quite the Danchee posse showing up in here!
All the best, Lincoln
LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

LincolnofDeath, yeah for such a small budget rc the danchee is really the best bag for buck for a newbie or a seasoned hobbyist who wants to tweak it and make it there own, don't get me wrong I love the high dollar name brand stuff too, but I have really started tapering toward the underdog budget world of rc, For me and my 6 year old son they're great I just by them in pairs or three at a time so I always have spare parts. Along with the danchee, I bought three WLtoys 12428 buggies,70 ish apiece and a couple of wltoys a979-b, 60 ish apiece, for the money they are tones of fun. You can full send one to the moon and if and when it dose break they are next to nothing to buy replacement parts for or just have a whole new one ready to go. I have one WLtoy 12428 buggy cracked out, with full size servo, 45 amp brushless 4370 kv setup, its a rocket and has less than 150 in it so if the completely blows up no biggy. If anyone is interested I can try and show those too, not sure if i can on here though, they aren't crawlers.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes the wheels and tires on the danchee are the 2.2 size 100%. also here are side by side comparisons of a box stock wheel and tire vs my cut down wheel and with inflated tires. I cut 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch out of the back side of the rim, its easier to cut it from this side and you get more steering clearance and a wider stance this way. I then used longer strews to help secure the wheel and help alignment and straighten the wheel.
How much of a wheel spacer (mm) do you recommend to avoid rubbing body and links? Thanks!
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:09 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

charlieboyd65 If you just want to go with a wheel spacer for clearance ill put a link below to ones I have used and have had good luck with vs cutting the body shorter and cutting and shutting the wheels. If you use wheel spacers you will have to drill the wheel out to fit the new wheel nut. Ill put a link to a youtube video showing this process down below. Hope this helps let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I used the 12mm spacers because 20mm seems to wide to me, this is all imo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDmyowhLBgE

Last edited by bbolden516; 01-10-2020 at 02:10 AM. Reason: add users name I was referencing too
Old 01-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #27

Any thoughts on what would be a better controller... The GT3 or GT5? From what I was looking at it looks like you have to go to the settings and use the selector wheel for the 4 steering options on the GT5. Not sure if you can program them for on the fly buttons. Also, not sure about the on the fly dig option. It looks like you can do this with the GT3 hacked controller from some videos Ive seen. Curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for all the good tips and advice. My son and I enjoy working on the buggy together.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

charlieboyd65, I did the hacked GT3 C model and it was awesome, alittle bit of a pain but if you take your time and do the reading on here and there is a site that a guy will hack it for you for a price. Once the GT3 was hacked it was awesome, turned into a 6ch, to try something new I went ahead and got the GT5 and so far I really like it, I haven't set up dig or 4 wheel steer as of yet but these are going to be in the works later. The GT5 is a 6 ch radio out of the box so there is a tonne of possibilities, Cant really go wrong with flysky setups for the price, wish I had further details on the new one I just haven't messed with it alot.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #29

Right on, thanks. Maybe I'll try to GT3 first since it seems proven. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on the GT5 once you get some time to mess with it.

Thanks

Quote:
charlieboyd65, I did the hacked GT3 C model and it was awesome, alittle bit of a pain but if you take your time and do the reading on here and there is a site that a guy will hack it for you for a price. Once the GT3 was hacked it was awesome, turned into a 6ch, to try something new I went ahead and got the GT5 and so far I really like it, I haven't set up dig or 4 wheel steer as of yet but these are going to be in the works later. The GT5 is a 6 ch radio out of the box so there is a tonne of possibilities, Cant really go wrong with flysky setups for the price, wish I had further details on the new one I just haven't messed with it alot.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 PM   #30

So after further research, I've decided I want to use the GT3C for the thumb controls. In order to do this what all will I need other than the hacked radio?

GT3C radio + stuff to hack/solder/firmware

New receiver (any suggestions)?
Do I need 2 new ESCs?

Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:30 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

charlieboyd65 you will need a flysky 6ch receiver, and 2 esc's or a dig unit depending on if you want front or rear dig or both. There is a thread on this forum almost a mile long on the hacked GT3C and setups people have done or used, In my experience with the hacked GT3C run a 6ch receiver's, and 2 esc's for both front and rear dig, you will basically have a super class comp rig that would have the capability of 4ws, front and rear digs
Old 01-21-2020, 03:34 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

charlieboyd65, in electronics Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread 245 pgs.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
So after further research, I've decided I want to use the GT3C for the thumb controls. In order to do this what all will I need other than the hacked radio?

GT3C radio + stuff to hack/solder/firmware

New receiver (any suggestions)?
Do I need 2 new ESCs?

Thanks again!
you also need a st link programer so your computer can talk to the radio

i found a bunch on ebay from $2 to $5 heres a link to one there are cheaper ones though and i dont think it matters i got a cheap one and it worked

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/382561155569
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 PM   #34

Has anyone had any luck finding a metal axle that would fit the ridgerock? I’m very new to the crawler scene, and I have no idea if those parts are interchangeable between vehicles. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlane View Post
Has anyone had any luck finding a metal axle that would fit the ridgerock? I’m very new to the crawler scene, and I have no idea if those parts are interchangeable between vehicles. Thanks for the help!
i have metal scx10ii axles under a barbie car anything is posable if you want it bad enuff

and have some basic skills
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Jlane, like ferp420 said any thing is possible, these things are motor and servo on axle so they would be pretty much compatible with any motor and servo on axle rig out there, so bully, has metal axles but, metal will add weight, any 10th or 1/8 scale with 540 motors would honestly be an upgrade. Believe me I'm looking into doing some pretty serious mods to this thing however if I wanted a full on metal or comp build I would just build one from scratch, my purpose here on this danchee is to make the best budget friendly little rig I can, with that being said anything and everything will be a possibility if it can be had at a reasonable price.

Last edited by bbolden516; 01-23-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Jlane, like ferp420 said any thing is possible, these things are motor and servo on axle so they would be pretty much compatible with any motor and servo on axle rig out there, so bully, has metal axles but, metal will add weight, any 10th or 1/8 scale with 540 motors would honestly be an upgrade. Believe me I'm looking into doing some pretty serious mods to this thing however if I wanted a full on metal or comp build I would just build one from scratch, my purpose here on this danchee is to make the best budget friendly little rig I can, with that being said anything and everything will be a possibility if it can be had at a reasonable price.
Thanks for the feedback! I have been trying to keep it budget friendly as well. I will have to do some looking now that I know!
Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i have metal scx10ii axles under a barbie car anything is posable if you want it bad enuff

and have some basic skills
Now that’s funny! You are correct saying anything is possible I just didn’t want to waste a ton of money! But now it sounds like I have many options.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:56 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlane View Post
Now that’s funny! You are correct saying anything is possible I just didn’t want to waste a ton of money! But now it sounds like I have many options.
i found a thrashed barbie mini cooper at good will for 2 bucks missing a bunch of parts lol as soon as i saw it i new i had to build a crawler out of it lol

another new project 1/8 mini cooper

Last edited by ferp420; 01-24-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

ferp420, that's awesome got any pics, I'm interested to see how it turned out.