Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Danchee ridgerock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 08:43 AM   #121

Default Re: Danchee ridgerock

Picked up my danchee ridgerock back in April. By far it's been the best $100 I've spent. Nothing but good clean fun. I've only had two issues with it. I burnt out the front servo withing the first month(operator error I'm sure) then a little short(battery clip) in the wiring from unplugging the battery a lot to recharge it. So I can do a little night crawling I went and bought a led light kit for it. I came across a 1950's truck body that I'm currently trying to get to fit.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Urpalcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

Urpalcharlie, looks awesome , love the lights and glad to hear your really enjoying it, id have to say for the money its probably one of if not the best RC's I've ever bought. keep up the mods love seeing the pics.
bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #123

Thanks bbolden516, I appreciate that. Like a few others in here I'm also a newbie. Eventhough I had a nitro volcano about 18yrs ago or so. I gave it to a friend of mine to fix and never saw it again, but that's alright.

Over the holiday weekend here while camping. It looks and sounds like I stripped out the gears in my rearend. After getting home and taking it apart sure enough that's what happened(I'm sure the front assembly won't last much longer either). So while I'm at it I might as well replace both assemblies. I would like to change out the plastic gears for metal ones. So if anyone can point me in the right direction for a new metal gears with a lower gear ratio for more torque and better traction. I'd really appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

Urpalcharlie, and or any newer rc enthusiast with similar experiences, this is just IMO or my experience, unfortunately I haven't seen really any up grades for the axles ie: knuckles metal gears or better motors. I have had really good luck and only broken links both suspension and steering and knuckles as of yet, I plan on using this thing till the electrics give out and then find some metal or 1/8 scale plastic MOA- motor on axles, like from bully or berg or aftermarket and build this up.

I bought mine about this time frame last year and started tinkering with it before Christmas, didn't want my then 5 year old son to smoke me right out of the gate, he's a fast learner and super competitive, any ways I modded mine almost right out of the box and have been running 3s and the upgraded servos the whole time, nearly a year now. Its been a great little rig, weight and bigger tires make for great traction but your drive train will break, you can get away with bigger tires but it strains everything, adding weight intensifies that even more so id choose one or the other toy with it and you find what works for you.

Also if you watch you tube vids watch some of the comp crawlers you got to know how to play it safe, force it and you'll probably break it, ie: binding of steering or in a deep rut and hammering the throttle, not to mention if it takes a nasty fall it will defiantly break. Its awesome for what it is, especially at its price point.

Big name brands will break too, so if you really enjoy it, id recommend starting a build, price things out and ask questions the process of building is imo even better then buying a complete rig. In the mean time replacement parts, shop around, and if you enjoy it alot and hate the down time, get multiple rigs their 120 bucks, almost cheaper than buying spare parts, if I hear or see a possible upgrade ill post it up and so will most on hear and youtube best of luck.

P.S. check out these on ebay
axle assm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Danc...IAAOSw53xe9Vmh

whole chassis
https://www.ebay.com/itm/REDCAT-RACI...kAAOSwk5pfKuso

gears buy them self
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gear-Set-Re...QAAOSwxklciqp6

gears buy them self (redcat)+ shipping
https://www.redcatracing.com/product...30993827201114

Last edited by bbolden516; 09-08-2020 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling and spacing
Old 09-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #125

Right thanks for the info. That's why I posted my question to the group about gearing ratios for more torque and tracktion. So that i could learn some more about what to look for when it comes to putting together one of these toys. I whole heartedly agree with you. These are awsome little trucks for the price.

Of course everything has its limitations and eventually will break. Especially if you thrash on it(which I tend to be hard on things) and push it beyond its limits. Heck take a look at what there doing with monster trucks now. I can remember when big foot first came onto the scene(dating myself now) at the truck and tractor pulls.

Once again I thank you for your time and advice about which companies to start looking at to get a better idea of how I want to build a truck of my own.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

Urpalcharlie hear are some of the MOA gear ratios that I have found some don't tell you the ratios so I only listed the ones I could find.

Bully 2 Competition Crawler Axles
Ratio: 40.7 : 1
Pinion Gear: .8 Mod 14T
Hex Width: 219.5mm
Hardened Steel Gears
Case Material: Billet Aluminum
price $ 179.99

Bully 2 Dimensions
Wheelbase: 317mm (12.5")
Width: 254mm (10")
Height: 182mm (7.2")
Ground Clearance: 92mm (3.6")
Final Drive Ratio: 40.7 : 1
Weight: 4.38lbs / 1.99Kg
price $489.99

The Hot Racing Tamiya Clod Rock Crawler Power Axle Set is a motor on axle, axle upgrade for the Tamiya Cold Buster or other custom competition based R/C builds.

Features:
CNC machined 6061-T6 aluminum, anodized silver
Nitride hardened steel gears
11.4:1 internal gear reduction (in addition to the pinion/ 52T spur reduction)
Compact gear case for a low center of gravity and increased ground clearance
Clear gear box cover
#45 steel axles with 12mm hex hubs
Beefy 155mm wide axle tube
Full ball bearing transmission
Aluminum servo, shock, and linkage mounts
Supports 9T to 30T 48 pitch pinion gears
Width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface: ~250mm
This kit requires a linked suspension and is NOT compatible with the factory radius arm (ladder bar) suspension
48 pitch pinion gear
NOTE: A 12T, 48P pinion will produce a 49.5:1 final drive ratio
price $168.99

hope this helps
Old 09-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #127
Quarry Creeper

Shout out too egoaudio, those fatty tires are for the the mad torque which are like 1/8 scale, and man are they awesome I grabbed a set for the price and man after some modding they are amazing. I cut the wheels to make them have a deep dish so I wouldn't have to buy hud extensions, and narrowed them about 3/8 of an inch so the the side wall was more aggressive, then I removed the foams completely, and soaked the tires in WD40 over night to make them softer, they are hands down for the money probably the best mod to date, after I was finished with them anyways so great find ( egoaudio ). Big P.S I ended up putting these on my sons box stock danchee, and I'm pretty sure his will out crawl mine now lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 09-14-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 09-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Those tires look cartoonish on that truck! But I bet it'll go up'n'over anything if you can keep it upright.

My friend has the 1/8 Exceed those tires come on. Gotta admit, they work very well in a variety of terrain.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #129
Quarry Creeper

So I made a youtube vid of my sons box stock danchee with only the modded wheels and tires I talked about before, and I'm sad to say I cant keep up. With his stock danchee and those tires he easily out crawls me, mine currently finally striped the plastic gears in the axle and I'm currently waiting on replacements but in the video my danchee has to work hard and the lines have to be prefect to make my small little test course in my back yard. His as you can see walks threw things easily and that's sad, I put way more time in mine and the wheel and tire mods is all his has, I mean stock everything servos links and battery and he walks threw the course with relative ease. So in conclusion if you can't cut and shut a wheel I'd still buy these wheel and tires and get hub extenders, take out the foams the danchee isn't heavy enough to need them and soak the tires over night in WD40 in gallon ziplock bags and I promise your rig will be darn near unstoppable.

Youtube video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWNd2Z2M2YQ

Wheel and tire link
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

extenders, use your best judgment.
but if I didn't mod my wheels I'd probably use these for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Ada...DV3B0GPXE5KE3B

Last edited by bbolden516; 09-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #130
Quarry Creeper

meatmonkey, they do look cartoonish, but they flat out work, so funny looking or not I'm probably going to buy another set, for mine, lol can't have my son showing me up.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:33 AM   #131
Quarry Creeper

Just a few shots of my sons rig in action.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #132

I have been noticing this rig is gaining some popularity in my area. Has anyone tried to put the Holmes 380 Outrunner in theirs yet? Very interested in this for some reason.
mtbmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmonkey View Post
I have been noticing this rig is gaining some popularity in my area. Has anyone tried to put the Holmes 380 Outrunner in theirs yet? Very interested in this for some reason.
You should start a spec class, stock electronics. Limit the upgrades to servos, a 2 cell lipo battery (under each $20 new) and tires $30 a pair. It would be fun, driver skill and setup would win.

Putting in a pair of Holmes 380's, esc, and new radio would destroy the gears on the first run. I'm currently working out the kinks on my steering and will post back when satisfied with it.
racerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #134
Quarry Creeper

racerfred, looking forward to seeing what you come up with and yes if they made aftermarket metal gears the up grades to motors would be fun.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #135
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolden516 View Post
racerfred, looking forward to seeing what you come up with and yes if they made aftermarket metal gears the up grades to motors would be fun.
Id love to know where folks get their metal arms/links from? Is there a crawler out there that has the same length links as an MOAC?? Is there a company which i cannot find, that makes upgrade parts for the Ridgerock???
What is the length of the links? Dont have my digital calipers at home, so i have yet to measure myself.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #136
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
Id love to know where folks get their metal arms/links from? Is there a crawler out there that has the same length links as an MOAC?? Is there a company which i cannot find, that makes upgrade parts for the Ridgerock???
What is the length of the links? Dont have my digital calipers at home, so i have yet to measure myself.

And... by "measure myself"....i totally meant "yet to measure those links, myself"

23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #137
Quarry Creeper

I was looking to order these, they should fit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Metal...4383.l4275.c10
Old 11-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #138
I wanna be Dave

Redcat seems vary reasonable why not petition them for upgrades to this rig I'm not sure if its saposed to be hobby grade but it seems there might be enuff interest for them to make a run of upgrade and repair parts

This thread is 7 pages long of people upgrading and moding sure seems like there's some interest in this rig
Worth a try
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
Redcat seems vary reasonable why not petition them for upgrades to this rig I'm not sure if its saposed to be hobby grade but it seems there might be enuff interest for them to make a run of upgrade and repair parts

This thread is 7 pages long of people upgrading and moding sure seems like there's some interest in this rig
Worth a try

Ferp420 I asked in an email to Redcat if they where going to provide any upgrades and at the time they said there was no plan to have upgraded part. But that was over a year ago and I’m sure if enough people was to email them asking they might take another look at it. Might be worth a shot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #140
Quarry Creeper

The Ridgerock is low hanging fruit for them, they never it intended to be upgraded (entry level). The stock gears cost about $20 a set, metal gears would be about al least $30. Yes some would spend the $60, but probably not worth the tooling cost to justify it. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. They just should have reused the rs10xt gears, I tried them already.