Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Danchee ridgerock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #221
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Danchee ridgerock

racerfred, love the weight down low just not sure ill run any weights till metal gears are in the works just my opinion, still like the mod and the creativity.

Jamus, love the thought of portals I wish I could find some with out to much modding, the thought of more ground clearance and gear reduction would help these little rigs so much, I could run a standard 2.2 tire again and have the clearance I need. As for now I'm still focusing on the chassis and improving what I can on the cheap By cutting and gluing was its all done ill sand down the extra glue and clean it all up. I put my lower links on the inside of the chassis increasing turn ability's with my huge tires and cut down and tapered the rear of the body more for same reason.
Attached Images

bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #222
RCC Addict

I like the inboard lower links, I might try that at the same time I do the bent lowers. I might even make a new skid out of thicker plastic rather than cutting and gluing. I could cut a groove in the bottom to help it "track" over rocks in a straight line rather than sliding off. But in all honesty my danchee performs well enough that I'm not too motivated to change much, just run and enjoy it. Maybe a new body.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:04 PM   #223

Geez, after today and running these huge deep woods 2.2s I think dove tail is the next step for me. Trying to use 4wheel or even rear steering and seeing it rub in the rear trying to technical crawl. I wish I recorded my run today, spent damn near 2 packs trying to conquer this low ledge route to a higher narrow ledge. I got it right when I was calling it quits. Good to see this thread still alive. I do have some 2.2 J concepts ruptures coming in to try out. Has anyone found a set of springs that we can use to change up the spring rates from front to rear instead of the same rate all around
MattG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #224
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG99 View Post
Geez, after today and running these huge deep woods 2.2s I think dove tail is the next step for me. Trying to use 4wheel or even rear steering and seeing it rub in the rear trying to technical crawl. I wish I recorded my run today, spent damn near 2 packs trying to conquer this low ledge route to a higher narrow ledge. I got it right when I was calling it quits. Good to see this thread still alive. I do have some 2.2 J concepts ruptures coming in to try out. Has anyone found a set of springs that we can use to change up the spring rates from front to rear instead of the same rate all around
No springs, and not nearly as modified as YOUR, A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Ridge rock!!

I threw in Traxxas 20wt oil on all 4 corners, and along with no foams, bent links, weighted wheels (heavier front, lighter rear), major body trimming, and finally what i consider close-to-"broken in" stock wheel/tires.... VERY happy with the performance/value ratio.

On a side note, the Ridgy looks SA-WEEEEET! In tow behind my trx4 sport!

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #225
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
No springs, and not nearly as modified as YOUR, A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Ridge rock!!

I threw in Traxxas 20wt oil on all 4 corners, and along with no foams, bent links, weighted wheels (heavier front, lighter rear), major body trimming, and finally what i consider close-to-"broken in" stock wheel/tires.... VERY happy with the performance/value ratio.

On a side note, the Ridgy looks SA-WEEEEET! In tow behind my trx4 sport!

What i meant to say, in short.

Is the 20wt oil was a marvelous improvement over whatever factory-fill weight was! Being as it us a light as heck rig (imo), can use all the traction & response/flex/rebound u can scrape out of your imagination! Lol.

Id be tempted to find an even lighter weight shock oil, maybe like 7.5? Or 10-12.5? Is that a thing?

23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:55 PM   #226

Maybe try testing some motor oil, maybe 0w? Thank you for the compliment, I've been browsing around to see what other redcat models look similar in wheel base and chassis design. I found the rock slide model that has M.O.A setup similar to a comp bully. Found the complete axle housings on ebay minus motors
Old 03-19-2021, 11:19 PM   #227

My son used his birthday money to buy one of these and it broke a drive cup. Seems to be common and out of stock so I ordered him an es10 and I’m going to see what I can make work for myself. Things pretty impressive for the buy in price.
dropstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:44 PM   #228
Quarry Creeper

23drumerboy, shock weight is a huge improvement and weight always improves traction finding the balance is key, no foams on a light rig like this also helps a tonne.

dropstep, as cheap as these rigs are a spare one is almost worth it for a complete spare parts rig, to steal parts from as needed, I also watch ebay like a hawk for spare parts on the cheap.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #229

Got out again today on a slightly different tire setup. Didn't do to bad, haven't decided if I want to run the stock foams in front.

Watch "Technical trail run" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/lU7sEYtU6IY
Old 03-24-2021, 07:37 PM   #230
Quarry Creeper

MattG99,
Another great video, love those tires, JC concepts? they look alot like the old hot body rovers. That side hill and climb out was very impressive.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbolden516 View Post
MattG99,
Another great video, love those tires, JC concepts? they look alot like the old hot body rovers. That side hill and climb out was very impressive.
They are J. Concepts, they make a similar tire to the Hyrax called landmines but haven't seen them in 2.2. The tire with stock foam is really soft. I need to get new skids so I can replace the belly plate. It's always the same link that pulls out so I'm assuming the threads are stripped.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:02 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG99 View Post
They are J. Concepts, they make a similar tire to the Hyrax called landmines but haven't seen them in 2.2. The tire with stock foam is really soft. I need to get new skids so I can replace the belly plate. It's always the same link that pulls out so I'm assuming the threads are stripped.
Nice choice of tires.
nictical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #233
Quarry Creeper

I didn't think id get into scale rigs, I've always been more of a MOA guy but the bug is started now, I came across a vader skid for a gen7 and ordered it, cause I love how the links look and the fact that there is transmission options, now that the skid is ordered I ordered a gen7 and all the mods to go with. It all started when I ordered some gen7 upgrade portals a month or so back, thinking I could mod them onto the danchee but no dice. So since I had 2 sets of upgrade portal axles I figured why not. Ill be starting another thread on a gen7 build if anyone is interested, basically the same as this one, a best bag for buck on a scale rig. Don't worry still gonna drive the danchee, just kinda at a point with it where its pretty dialed in until I see something new to try lol.
Old 04-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #234
Quarry Creeper

new videos, out messing around with my son after Easter festivity's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15fcjMzTiw&t=306s

I also did a little review of the danchee after a year and a half only broke one gear, one c knuckle 2 steering knuckles and a lower link and steering linkage, hence the custom lower links and steering links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8TOmSVrFE
Old 04-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #235

Great videos. It's crazy to see both ends of the ridge rock, chassis modded then your son's with just a a bigger tire and how well each does. I myself picked up a traxxas slash 4x4 and got into the bashing and dirt course stuff.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #236
Pebble Pounder

And here we all have been fooled into thinking we need to invest hundreds of dollars to go crawl.

I to looked at this model as my first purchase but was scared away do to price thinking it was just a kids toy.
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #237

These rigs are different say from a scale model, with limited articulation and is more challenging. These are very capable with minimal money put into them.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 PM   #238
Quarry Creeper

Definitely great bang for buck, it will be a great starter rig for anyone, with limited aftermarket support though you have to get creative.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #239
Quarry Creeper

Well I built a gen 7 and have already ordered a gen 8 lol.

Gen 7 build thread started My Gen7 Build
Old 04-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfred View Post
Weight in the axle
[IMG][/IMG]
this is a really great idea imo. i just might have to do it if they fit in my crawler.

does anyone know much about the redcat rockslide rs10 vs the danchee?

it looks like they took the rockslide and converted it to all plastic for a cheaper price.

i love that redcat hasnt given up on the moa or the 4wheel steer. i dont use the steering often but when i come across something i cant do, ill use it
cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote