RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/)
-   -   Danchee ridgerock (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/613729-danchee-ridgerock.html)

bbolden516 12-05-2019 10:24 PM

Danchee ridgerock

9 Attachment(s)
Ok so long story short, I have been out of the hobby for about 5ish years, not a newbie by any means, I started with a Redcat ROCKSLIDE RS10 XT, then I built a fully custom bully super comp and hacked a gt3c flysky which was awesome.

Anyways theres alittle background so you get an idea when I say that this new Danchee RidgeRock crawler is pretty awesome for what it is, I got 2 of them see if my son, (6yrs old) will enjoy the hobby.

On black friday on Amazon they were $109 each , I also got 4 DS3218mg 20KG Digital servos with 4 25t aluminum servo horns for $53, cause crawlers love better servos not that the stock ones wernt ok ish, everything got better with the 3s lipos I already had Zippy 1300 20c.

Out of the box this thing is awesome, super light, and capable. Roughly 45ish mins of run time on stock battery. Well I couldn't help myself and I love xt60 connectors so that was mod one for me 3s will wake up anything lol. then I cut about half an inch out of the body sides and re did the hole slightly forward moving the body down and back on the chassis.

This did 2 things it looks better to me and 2nd when it tumbles over the ability to self ride it back on its wheels is way easier. The next mod was the servos which is pretty strait forward minus I had to trim the servo horn for clearance. The new servos are metal geared and body so they add weight but in a good way to the axle down low so this helps traction and cg.

Then it was on to the wheels and tires, while the wheels are 3 piece beadlocks they are all plastic so they are super light, I like them ok but I like narrower wheels on crawlers for obvious reasons.
By cutting and shutting the wheels you make them narrower and this forces the tire to get a larger OD and gives you better side lug bubble out past the wheel. then last but not least is the tire, they are an ok stock tire for bashing but for crawling they needed help.

I cut the center lugs out to help with tire bite, then I wire wheeled the tires inside and out to take the sheen off and break the tire in so I could sauce them up with some WD40, this softens the tire up considerably they are much better now softer and more malleable, I also cut the foams down to fit the narrower wheels and cut triangles out of them to soften the foams cause they are not so good very cheap. However I will be getting some 2.2 Proline Hyrax predators very soon.

For now though this rig is super cheap and super capable and 4WS is just awesome, with the 4 selectable modes.

All of my pics will get loaded up shortly just getting my subscription back up to date, for now all pics can be seen on my members album/profile.

Please Let me know what you think, and remember this rig has a total of $175 in it and could crawl pretty close to the super comp I built years ago, at a mere fraction of the cost minus the size difference of the super and digs. A fly sky GT3C hacked and digs could be in the future as well as some metal or delrin lower links for better clearance.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...albums4588.htm

bbolden516 12-12-2019 09:20 PM

Re: Danchee ridgerock

10 Attachment(s)
So its been about a week now and i'm still blown away how well this budget crawler performs, in light of the mods done I have spent very little and all that has been spent can easily move over to a new rig. I did end up getting the Proline Hyrax Predator compond tires and wow, tire tech has certainly came along ways even in 5 ish years when I took a break from this hobby.

Updates I did the pin spring mod, why cause its cheap and easy and gives you droop in your shocks and lowers cg yet again. I also cut the body down even further on the sides, I am really liking how this little budget crawler is turning out. I also used a heat gun on the lower links to put alittle bent in them for extra clearance.

In the future I am still thinking of adding one or more digs and since the hobby has got caught up I will probably go with a Flysky fs-gt5, they already have 6 channels and no mods needed and the price point is pretty good. Any ways here are some side by side shots of box stock and my budget build Danchee RidgeRock.

AK KRAWLER 12-12-2019 09:38 PM

Pretty awesome , especially for so little invested. Great ingenuity!!!

bbolden516 12-12-2019 10:49 PM

AK KRAWLER, thx for the reply, was being to wonder if anyone noticed this thread at all, yes for very little invested I could probably comp this thing, I know for sure with digs it would be comp worthy, I know its barely hobby grade almost toy quality, but the capability / valve for money has been great, I have done some basic tests and it can go up a 39 degree incline board just fine.

I have also ran multiple 3s lipo packs threw it with zero issues. Over all if anyone has some one on the fence on getting into RC crawling at The Danchee RidgeRocks price point it will differently give them some prospective and possibly the bug. "thumbsup"

bbolden516 01-01-2020 08:25 PM

6 Attachment(s)
So after installing the larger Proline Hyrax predator compound tires, I decided I wanted to get even more out of the tires by getting on ebay and ordering 25 needle valve replacements for sports balls and then sealed up my wheels really good and installed them, the tires are nearly 7 inches OD and the the steering linkage was flexing to much. I did end up breaking one of my 4 link links so I ended up getting some traxxas 5347 rod ends, from the local hobby shop and some 8/32 all tread 3 feet at lowes, and some 1/4 brake line 3 strait feet at O Reilly auto parts, and built up some custom super strong links for cheap. The cool thing about inflated tires is by adjusting the psi the tired can have super grip or if needed by airing down or extra clearance by airing up.

LincolnofDeath 01-01-2020 10:07 PM

Yup, I’m watching this over here, too. Pretty cool...if you’re wondering about people being interested, I’m in, FWIW. But yeah, lots of clever things going on here and you’re definitely doing something worth posting about on the cheap...Also, I’ve never done much of it myself, but maybe some video linked to see it in action?
Linc.

bbolden516 01-02-2020 12:34 AM

I've never really messed with making any videos, :shock: ill have to give it a shot apparently "thumbsup"

bbolden516 01-02-2020 08:28 PM

8 Attachment(s)
So ill have to get some real free time to work on making a video since I've never done it before, until then here are some more shots of my rig verse my sons box stock Danchee. "thumbsup"

bbolden516 01-04-2020 12:17 AM

As requested I have tired to make a little video, grated before all the bs comments come I have never made a video or shot and drove at the same time so I know its horrible but I'm going to start trying to refine the process so please helpful comments and questions and I'll do my best to answer and correct things for future posts and possible videos. Video link below

https://youtu.be/325NvgzO_So

DavidRCBasher 01-04-2020 07:42 AM

These are awesome trucks! We got one, and ran it down at RRW Krawlzone in Tennessee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9fnfa2ra6I

Thats one of our favorite crawlers that we have. We've made several videos on it.

Jlane 01-04-2020 07:52 AM

Not a bad video for your first one. I am also working on a danchee ridgerock. This is my first crawler and I’m having a blast. How did you do the mod to lower the body?

ferp420 01-04-2020 09:14 AM

any issues with holes in the tire yet those hyrax are so thin they get holes vary easy i must have dozens of holes in my sidewalls the worst part is if your air filed your done till its fixed

if i were you i would put the stock tires inside the hyrax and use the stock tire like a tube

Jlane 01-04-2020 09:47 AM

Did the spring mod effect the articulation of the vehicle? I’m thinking about doing it to mine.

bbolden516 01-04-2020 11:53 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Davidrcbasher, great videos I wish we had good places like that here in kansas to crawl, Jlane for the body mod of lowering it, I literally cut about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off the side and then used what I cut off to recenter the holes more foward on the body to bring the body down and back, I'll post side by side comparison with my sons box stock so you can see the difference, and yes on the pin spring mod you will lose a small amount of articulation but since these things have so much it helps rather than herts the performance. Last but not least ferp420, I use E6000 and Gorilla contact adhesive to seal my wheels and tires and yes from the factory the hyrax tires had some pin holes, I aired them up held under water found the leaks and sealed with the glue as needed they hold a constant psi now, just have to have a very flexible glue, or rubber cement. Also I still have the foams inside so if i get a hole i still have the foam as back up but wont be able to adjust psi.

Jlane 01-04-2020 07:21 PM

Thanks for the response. It looks really good and I love the low look.

bbolden516 01-04-2020 11:36 PM

Jlane, yeah I love the shorter body look and by doing the pin spring mod the CG is way lower meaning its tipping point fwd to aft and side to side is way higher, so looks good and performance is better as well.

charlieboyd65 01-05-2020 12:15 AM

Awesome info! Do you have a part number for the Hyrax tires? Are they for a 1.9 or 2.2 wheel? Also, any more pics of how you cut the wheels?

Thanks in advance!

bbolden516 01-05-2020 04:10 PM

Charlieboyd65 here are the tires I ordered, they were the proline hyrax predator compound 2.2 size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/163731930115

Pretty good Video on a cutting down a wheel,

https://youtu.be/32T3Brm71ag

charlieboyd65 01-05-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbolden516 (Post 5988219)
Charlieboyd65 here are the tires I ordered, they were the proline hyrax predator compound 2.2 size.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/163731930115

Pretty good Video on a cutting down a wheel,

https://youtu.be/32T3Brm71ag

Thanks so much. Quick question: Aren't the stock tires/wheels 1.9? Did you have to do something to make the 2.2s fit on the stock wheels?

Jlane 01-05-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 (Post 5988267)
Thanks so much. Quick question: Aren't the stock tires/wheels 1.9? Did you have to do something to make the 2.2s fit on the stock wheels?

Charlieboyd65 the wheels are 2.2 I just put the same tires on mine, however they are not the predator compound.