Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New Gen8 AXE Edition. Choices, choices, choices...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default New Gen8 AXE Edition - Caught the bug again

I figured I would start my own thread on my soon to be new purchase.

I have been wanting to get a 1/10 Scale crawler to bash around with my son, he has an Axial Deadbolt. Pretty much stock other than some new links. It does pretty well for him. With him having the Axial, and me liking to try new things, it was a toss up between the Traxxas TRX-4 and the Redcat Gen8 Scout II.

Redcat being the underdog kind of intrigued me, as well as the $299 price point. Putting another $200 into it in tire foams, gears, servo, ESC, motor and a better radio would yield pretty decent wheeler.

Then along comes the AXE Edition.... It has most of the upgrades I would do, killer body and brushless. Now, I have never run a brushless rig, so I really do not know what to expect. The newest rig I have driven is my son's Deadbolt and I have only driven it a handful of time. It is amazing the changes that took place from the last time I bought a new RC. That would have been a Kyosho Assault back in the early 1990's... I had the 2wd buggy and my uncle bought the 4wd Stinger.

Back on track... I am still torn between the original and the AXE Edition. With buying the original and doing the upgrades, it would give me the electronics for starting a new build or reviving one of my older rigs.
On the other hand, purchasing the AXE Edition would yield, from what I can tell, a pretty strong contender right out of the box. Add tire foams and magnet mounts, then go wheeling...

Choices, choices, choices... I'll keep you guys posted as I make decisions.

I am open to all feedback and will consider every option. Just don't get twisted if I do it my way, rather than yours. I've been known to make some mistakes along the way and I am sure this adventure will be no different.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 12-31-2019 at 11:03 AM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen8 Original or AXE Edition

I think the matter of OG Gen 8 vs the AXE is how you feel about the electronics. If you like them, then it is a great value. If brushless isn't a want, you already have a good radio, or are just not impressed with the AXE electronics package, then a lot of the value is diminished.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I think the matter of OG Gen 8 vs the AXE is how you feel about the electronics. If you like them, then it is a great value. If brushless isn't a want, you already have a good radio, or are just not impressed with the AXE electronics package, then a lot of the value is diminished.
Thanks SVT.

I do not currently have a good radio, so the GT5 would be a welcome component. The brushless is the only real unknown at this point.
If going brushed, I would go a Hobbywing 1080 and with the recommendation of Holmes, a Crawlmaster 550 Sport in 15T.

If I went the AXE and didn't like the brushless setup for crawling, I guess I could pony up the $70 for the combo listed above and try it out. Either way, probably no real loss, as I have other rigs that could benefit from an electronics upgrade.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:05 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So, after watching this video http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIobffjAw0

I’m not 100% sure on the brushless setup on the AXE Edition.

Has anyone run the XERUN AXE system in a crawler / backyard cruiser?

EDIT - Ok FNG move, sorry about that... I guess the search function works

Looks like some are using it and are happy.
http://http://www.rccrawler.com/foru...ywing-axe.html

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 12-09-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Don't stop on the Hobbywing combo ... there's also worth ~$80 of upgrade parts on the Axe, a not that cheap beefy servo and a good entry-level radio. If you resell the combo, you'll cover most of your own combo and some goodies like new foams and you'll still have change.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks tuxstang. I think I’m going to pull be trigger, no pun intended :lmao, on the Axe.

Not that it’s a big deal crawling, but does anyone know if Redcat addressed the bump steer issue on the The OG Gen8 with the Axe?

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 12-10-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Thanks tuxstang. I think I’m going to pull be trigger, no pun intended :lmao, on the Axe.

Not that it’s a big deal crawling, but does anyone know if Redcat addressed the bump steer issue on the The OG Gen8 with the Axe?
Somewhat, yes. They have a lower profile steering arm that should mostly eliminate it. If it doesn't, one of the $2 aluminum arms all over Ebay will take care of it. I just threw one of those onto my truck last night (along with a cheap 20kg servo) and it's lower profile than the stock arm, and I don't see any bump steer at all through the suspension travel, not that it was significant in the first place.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New Gen8 AXE Edition. Choices, choices, choices...

Quote:
I figured I would start my own thread on my soon to be new purchase.

I have been wanting to get a 1/10 Scale crawler to bash around with my son, he has an Axial Deadbolt. Pretty much stock other than some new links. It does pretty well for him. With him having the Axial, and me liking to try new things, it was a toss up between the Traxxas TRX-4 and the Redcat Gen8 Scout II.

Redcat being the underdog kind of intrigued me, as well as the $299 price point. Putting another $200 into it in tire foams, gears, servo, ESC, motor and a better radio would yield pretty decent wheeler.

Then along comes the AXE Edition.... It has most of the upgrades I would do, killer body and brushless. Now, I have never run a brushless rig, so I really do not know what to expect. The newest rig I have driven is my son's Deadbolt and I have only driven it a handful of time. It is amazing the changes that took place from the last time I bought a new RC. That would have been a Kyosho Assault back in the early 1990's... I had the 2wd buggy and my uncle bought the 4wd Stinger.

Back on track... I am still torn between the original and the AXE Edition. With buying the original and doing the upgrades, it would give me the electronics for starting a new build or reviving one of my older rigs.
On the other hand, purchasing the AXE Edition would yield, from what I can tell, a pretty strong contender right out of the box. Add tire foams and magnet mounts, then go wheeling...

Choices, choices, choices... I'll keep you guys posted as I make decisions.

I am open to all feedback and will consider every option. Just don't get twisted if I do it my way, rather than yours. I've been known to make some mistakes along the way and I am sure this adventure will be no different.

seeing as how you dont have any parts laying around and you dont have a nice controler allready i would say go for.the axe edition you wont notice any differance between the high end escs vs the axe at this point and the axe being brushless will be alot better than the brushed set up in the gen8 og and you will love it the upgraded servo just means you wont end up with a cheap 20kg servo the best mod you can do for the longevity of the axles housings is to replace the lower link mounts with the ssd link mounts they add so much strangth to that conection its crazy you wouldent even need to do the panhard mount brace mod it stiffens up th3 steering alot also ssd is the only one who made the mount press fit on to the axle everyone else just surface mounts everything and relies on the screws only and with the side to side movement of the panhard bar the stock bracket will fail and you will always have sloppy steering other than that its ready to go out of the box but order atleast the front lower link mounts just to get that awsome lowerlink panhard bar bracket
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Somewhat, yes. They have a lower profile steering arm that should mostly eliminate it. If it doesn't, one of the $2 aluminum arms all over Ebay will take care of it. I just threw one of those onto my truck last night (along with a cheap 20kg servo) and it's lower profile than the stock arm, and I don't see any bump steer at all through the suspension travel, not that it was significant in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
seeing as how you dont have any parts laying around and you dont have a nice controler allready i would say go for.the axe edition you wont notice any differance between the high end escs vs the axe at this point and the axe being brushless will be alot better than the brushed set up in the gen8 og and you will love it the upgraded servo just means you wont end up with a cheap 20kg servo the best mod you can do for the longevity of the axles housings is to replace the lower link mounts with the ssd link mounts they add so much strangth to that conection its crazy you wouldent even need to do the panhard mount brace mod it stiffens up th3 steering alot also ssd is the only one who made the mount press fit on to the axle everyone else just surface mounts everything and relies on the screws only and with the side to side movement of the panhard bar the stock bracket will fail and you will always have sloppy steering other than that its ready to go out of the box but order atleast the front lower link mounts just to get that awsome lowerlink panhard bar bracket
Thanks gents, the feedback is much appreciated.

I will be hitting the "Buy" button today and waiting patiently for the package to arrive. Although the wife might make me wait till Christmas morning to "play" with it
Have to show a good example for the kiddos...
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I saw the Gen 8 Axe at my local hobby shop in person yesterday, they just got them in. On the one they pulled out of the box to show me, there was zero bump steer. I looked the truck over pretty close & it seems like a great truck. Really the only thing I would upgrade would be wheels, tires & foams. If I didn't already have a Gen 8, I'd buy one. I do like the TRX4 Blazer, but knowing that I would spend $490 up front & then need to spend money on different electronics & servo kinda turns me off. If you're concerned with durability, don't be. The Gen 8 is already a solid truck & the Axe edition has all the heavy duty parts. In my opinion, Redcat has really stepped up their game & the gap between the Gen 8 & the TRX4 is very small at this point.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Don't stop on the Hobbywing combo ... there's also worth ~$80 of upgrade parts on the Axe, a not that cheap beefy servo and a good entry-level radio. If you resell the combo, you'll cover most of your own combo and some goodies like new foams and you'll still have change.
you forget to tell them how they are lucky, here in Europe the new axe redcat will be sold 750 euro (about 830 usd)...
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFox View Post
you forget to tell them how they are lucky, here in Europe the new axe redcat will be sold 750 euro (about 830 usd)...
That's just plain nutZ!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shhuuut ... don't say that, Trumpettes will think we are overtaxing american rc products (when it's just a matter of exclusive distributor overpricing) and they'll want to retaliate by overtaxing our croissants exports

My PACK is crossing the Atlantic anyway, should be there by the end of the week. Too bad I'm too short on budget for the Axe ... maybe next time.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Quote:
Too bad I'm too short on budget for the Axe ... maybe next time.
GEEZZZZ, at that price, what’s your problem

If it was me, I’d be out of the sport and stuck playing with Hot Wheels....
Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Shhuuut ... don't say that, Trumpettes will think we are overtaxing american rc products (when it's just a matter of exclusive distributor overpricing) and they'll want to retaliate by overtaxing our croissants exports
no, they will only overtax imported Renault cars (please don't tell to mr trump they are no longer sold in US for many years, he thinks he still can buy it at home )
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
GEEZZZZ, at that price, what’s your problem

If it was me, I’d be out of the sport and stuck playing with Hot Wheels....
Hopefully, I'm used to buy overseas for my Mustang ... or I would have paid the Pack almost the price the OG is sold in the US when (thanks to Black Friday though) with shipping and taxes, it cost me less than a MST CMX chassis from RCMart with just shipping
Old 12-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #17

Out of curiosity, which US shops send to Europe?
blaz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I've shopped at RPP and AMain mostly, otherwise sellers and shops on eBay.com and rarely (but did it for the Pack) Amazon.com. With the first two, no taxes included so final price depends on your customs, with the last two, most of the time taxes are included in the final price so no surprise.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Looks pretty promising

http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QlwVbqFE4Mk
Old 12-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The Gen8 AXE Edition should be delivered today!!! CI Foams have already been delivered. SSD Panhard Bar mount is on the way, as well as a Club5 Racing Servo Guard.

I won't get home till LATE this evening, then I will be tied up all day tomorrow with kids school stuff. Possibly might be able to look at it tomorrow evening.

New Gen8 AXE Edition. Choices, choices, choices... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre_Order Now the New Redcat Racing GEN8 AXE Edition RTR. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-04-2019 12:58 PM
Redcat Gen 8 AXE Edition Details driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 12-02-2019 07:33 PM
X vs. Axe who you got ? Frank211 Electronics 16 12-20-2018 07:55 AM
The Axe!! The Real Dogman Axial AX-10 Scorpion 64 11-12-2007 10:37 AM