Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 7 pro shock/spring questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
RVA

Default Gen 7 pro shock/spring questions

Hey guys, like so many other folks I just got back into RC recently. Got a gen 7 pro and it seems like the shock are way too stiff. I’ve removed some weight from the truck, so I wonder if that is contributing, I’m sure it doesn’t help. So far I’ve removed all the pro scale accessories aside from the fenders, I removed the battery tray and installed a custom made carbon fiber tray lower in the chassis to help lower CG, removed the electronics mounting plate and replaced with a custom aluminum plate. I rebuilt the stock shocks with 25wt oil and they are nice and smooth, but the springs seem way too hard.
Any recommendations on compatible springs? I’d hate to spend the money on new shocks right now as I’d rather upgrade other things first. What springs fit? Where did you find them? Thought about playing with the pen spring mod if I can’t find decent regular springs. Thanks for any input.
RVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Gen 7 pro shock/spring questions

You could try stretching the spring out and compressing a few times maybe I’m not too sure but I do know hot racing makes some good shocks for around $20 a pair and then hobbypark makes a whole set on amazon for around $25. My buddy runs hobbyparks on his scx10 and they’ve done him good for over a year or so now
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
RVA

Gotcha,thanks. I’ve been considering picking up some desert lizards, but figured if someone had a decent set of springs that fit for a few bucks I could spend that money on new foams and a better steering servo.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #4

I’m not sure what your needs are but have you seen where people cut the foams? I had a nice 8 point star shape going on my gen7 foams
FunkMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

you can buy just new springs just mesure what you have and go from there
you could cycle them repetedly real fast like and they will soften up some
theres aways heat but its a fine line between softer and ruined and there hard to get even from 1 shock to the next
your better off buying some cheap aluminum ones redcat isent known for there shock quality
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
RVA

Funk I’ve thought about cutting the foams but I’m scared to ruin them. I think they’ll be fine during the summer months when it’s 90+ degrees so I may want to keep using them. Maybe I’ll cut the spares foam and see how it does. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

Get yourself some Pro-line Hyrax 1.9 tires, they had the biggest performance improvement for me.

Add weight to your stock wheels until you can afford to buy some heavy wheels. You can wrap the wheel in solder and also add self stick wheel weights [Harbor Freight]
xxx_NEWK_xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hi!

The springs for the Axial Wraith is a direct fit and I think they have like five different rates.

I run the Desert Lizards but they are a pain to adjust (needs to be taken apart) when new stuff is added to the car and the wheight increases. They look cool though...

Cheers!
Esseaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #9

The Gen7 Pro uses the same junk foams as the Gen8. Some guys had good luck with them after they broke in, but since I live in a cold climate, mine were cement-hard whenever I ran it, so they wouldn't even break in. I ditched them for Crawler Innovation foams and even with the stock tires it was a night and day improvement.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #10

I have used the springs from the Traxxass TRX-4 with great luck. Order several different sets and see what works for your rig. I have found that anything from TRA8041 and softer, down to TRA8043 have worked well. The softest ones TRA8043 are way to soft for all but the lightest rigs. I have also found that switching to 40 weight shock seems to give the best dampening with the stock shock valving.
hfdpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen 7 pro shock/spring questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just upgraded from Gen 7 Pro to Gen 8... wow! Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 5 05-04-2019 04:10 PM
Gen 7 Pro portal upgrade or buy Gen 8? Zappaz Redcat Crawlers 3 04-27-2019 10:19 AM
Rc4wd shock spring kitt spring rate Johan_Eriksson Newbie General 3 01-05-2018 07:55 PM
Shock & spring advice for GCM shock hoops. Ca. Off Roader Vaterra Twin Hammers 11 01-04-2016 12:17 PM
Pro line Power stroke shock spring help jwall046 Newbie General 0 03-28-2014 08:22 PM