Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen8 Build Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Gen8 Build Question

Forgive me if it's been asked, I searched but couldn't find anything.

I'm using the Gen 8 pack to basically build an Axe edition but I'm using the larger 550 motor (rather than 540 that the RTR comes with). I've mated pinion/spur gears a ton of times in the past but am having a bit of trouble. There is a lot of noise, almost like gravel. Is this just the way their particular gearing sounds? I feel like I have it set correctly, but the noise is unsettling. Appreciate any tips.
sonicslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gen8 Build Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicslp View Post
Forgive me if it's been asked, I searched but couldn't find anything.

I'm using the Gen 8 pack to basically build an Axe edition but I'm using the larger 550 motor (rather than 540 that the RTR comes with). I've mated pinion/spur gears a ton of times in the past but am having a bit of trouble. There is a lot of noise, almost like gravel. Is this just the way their particular gearing sounds? I feel like I have it set correctly, but the noise is unsettling. Appreciate any tips.
The RTR actually comes with a 550 brushed. The axe is 540 brushless. If you have good play between the spur and pinion it should be good. The Gen8 is noisy because it runs mod 1 gears. It's a good idea to check for grease like any new rig as sometimes they don't put enough grease in.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

My Gen8 RTR is fairly loud. I even made the mesh tighter then factory. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Fierce RC Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
The RTR actually comes with a 550 brushed. The axe is 540 brushless. If you have good play between the spur and pinion it should be good. The Gen8 is noisy because it runs mod 1 gears. It's a good idea to check for grease like any new rig as sometimes they don't put enough grease in.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
Yeah, sorry, I meant the Gen8 Axe RTR is using the Axe 540 brushless whereas I am using the 550 3300kv Axe system.

Good to know it's just the noisy gear mesh. I could've sworn I've used rigs with mod 1 gears before, but now I'm not sure because I've never had anything quite this noisy. And yeah, I've already greased everything (er, not the pinion/spur, I assume you're not suggesting to grease those). Thanks again!

Last edited by sonicslp; 02-11-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce RC Pete View Post
My Gen8 RTR is fairly loud. I even made the mesh tighter then factory. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Ok thanks. I definitely settled on something a little tighter than I normally run, but it seems to run ok. I'll just keep an eye on bogging/temps.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

No don't grease the spur and pinion lol, I'm sure he meant the ring and pinions, the portal gears, and the trans and T-case gears. These are just noisy trucks as everyone has noted.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
No don't grease the spur and pinion lol, I'm sure he meant the ring and pinions, the portal gears, and the trans and T-case gears. These are just noisy trucks as everyone has noted.
Haha, that's what I figured. I do need to grease the portal gears still, I hear some left the factory with very little grease. No idea if their builders pack suffered the same issue, but I'm not gonna risk it.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Mine was making a really bad noise out of the transmission. I took it apart to inspect it and noticed the shaft the spur is on has a lot of in and out play and the slipper pad may have been rubbing the motor plate. Also found a crack on the inner bearing race. Replaced the bearing (clear body kit that came with the unsealed bearings installed and a bag of the sealed to install).

I took one of the washers that was on the slipper/spur shaft and put it on the opposite end where the gear sits on the drive pin, made things a lot smoother/quieter. Cut out a lot of, but not 100% of the play.
Nogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:58 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i have the metal gear set in my trans and tcase its not overly noisy its about the same as my other rigs from other manufacturers

if your spur and pinnion is to tight it will make it louder also if your teeth are worn it will make more noise too
and a tight spur and pinnion has more resistance the motor and esc will have to work harder
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Anyone added a snorkel to gen 8,,if so which one...thx
Crisch68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gen8 Build Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen8. Oh How Original Redcat Crawlers 8 01-31-2020 01:09 PM
Gen8 balls FunkMasterFlex Redcat Crawlers 1 01-30-2020 08:36 PM
Gen8 my first scale build Poochie1029 Redcat Crawlers 30 07-16-2019 05:34 AM
My gen8 00Pocho Redcat Crawlers 27 04-18-2019 04:31 PM
Gen8 ?? Frank211 Chit Chat 5 12-04-2018 04:24 AM