Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wendigo is a go.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #41

Default Re: Wendigo is a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Looks like it can take some punishment, at least in the short term.

https://youtu.be/nQXTJuI79Sw
where exactly in that video did he "punish" that truck? That looks like relatively benign driving to me. I've run my Bomber and my Yeti much harder than that with no broken axles.

I'm not trying to say that the new Redcat axles aren't stronger than AR60s because they very well might be, but I didn't see anything at all in that video that shows their durability. Hell, I'd expect the stock Gen7 axles with the plastic lockers to hold up to most of what I saw in that video.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
where exactly in that video did he "punish" that truck? That looks like relatively benign driving to me. I've run my Bomber and my Yeti much harder than that with no broken axles.

I'm not trying to say that the new Redcat axles aren't stronger than AR60s because they very well might be, but I didn't see anything at all in that video that shows their durability. Hell, I'd expect the stock Gen7 axles with the plastic lockers to hold up to most of what I saw in that video.
thats what im sayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgputer View Post
Universal aren't any stronger. I went through 3 in a week on my bomber and that's part of why I sold it, my son's and my SMT10. I have blown out lots. If universal were so amazing they would be running them in 6s and 8s basher. They all run CV.

Also I have over 10 packs through my Redcat axles and guess what? They're fine. Gears don't show wear at all. That's all on 3s. 3300kv. Watch my videos. I'm not nice to it.

This is more so a wraith or bomber. You will never get the handling of an ifs on straight axles.

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk
i know this is a in between crossover kinda rig and crawlers and bashers have different needs

cv axles dont handle torque vary well and universals dont do as well with steep angles at high rpms so there is a trade off my redcat blackout same power system basicly is still running the original cvs i did replace the pins a few years ago other than the pins wering out and the gears front and rear wore out after 4 years that rig has never broke anything ever outside of gears and wraith cage and wheels and tires its completely original after 6 years

so maybe these axles hold up to higher speeds better than the ar60 but would they still hold up in a crawler

Last edited by ferp420; 03-17-2020 at 10:40 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post

He's just posting his video that's not the video I was referring to.

mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #44

Quote:
Not my video, and I included the caveats "some" and "short term." Don't jump all over me for crying out loud.
Nobody is jumping all over anybody. I'm just trying to understand what I'm seeing. I didn't see anything in the video that really points toward hard use or anything that can really test durability.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not my video, and I included the caveats "some" and "short term." Don't jump all over me for crying out loud.
Ah sorry guy I thought it was your video.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Started to detail the interior.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #47

Hello all Newb to the Forum and loving my Wendigo!!

It has proven very durable. I upgraded the motor to a Hobbystar 3670 3050kv with a 20t pinion and the esc to a hobbywing max10 sct. Now it will crawl and still way fast. I have run it on 4s. With the new combo a few times very impressive!

So far I have 25 packs through it. I broke a bottom link on the front rear link. And a twisted a driveshaft open. Replaced the plastic link with one supplied as a spare. And fixed the drive shaft with some thread and jb weld . I have about 10 runs on the repaired driveshaft. Really surprised it held!

After hearing some whining about the plastic steering links I figured I better address that problem. I did strip the threads on one . But i took some black ca tire glue and some thread and it is better than new. First i added the ca to the threads on rod and link, screwed it back together then wrapped the plastic to steel joint with thread and wicked the ca into the thread and joint. I have 5 battery packs on that repair.

The major damaged to the links from a 5' rock ledge I jump off of onto more rocks at the bottom that is on a slope. If the landing isn't good it will keep violently tumbling down another 20' or so.

This 4s setup is a blast!! And I never owned a rc truck that would take this kind of abuse . My arrma granite 3s breaks something major everytime I try that jump. And my emaxx well it's a emaxx it would be destroyed!!

This thing is tough.

Anyone thinking of getting one. Just take the links apart and glue the threads then reassemble and wrap the plastic to steel joint with thread then wick ca into it. Heck wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap the driveshaft outer sides with thread and wicked ca. Then those parts are about bullet proof.

Surprised I haven't broke the front servo mount yet it has took a beating

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-25-2020 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Multi-posting
Jammied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammied View Post
So far I have 25 packs through it. I broke a bottom link on the front rear link. And a twisted a driveshaft open. Replaced the plastic link with one supplied as a spare. And fixed the drive shaft with some thread and jb weld . I have about 10 runs on the repaired driveshaft. Really surprised it held!

After hearing some whining about the plastic steering links I figured I better address that problem. I did strip the threads on one . But i took some black ca tire glue and some thread and it is better than new. First i added the ca to the threads on rod and link, screwed it back together then wrapped the plastic to steel joint with thread and wicked the ca into the thread and joint. I have 5 battery packs on that repair.

The major damaged to the links from a 5' rock ledge I jump off of onto more rocks at the bottom that is on a slope. If the landing isn't good it will keep violently tumbling down another 20' or so.

This 4s setup is a blast!! And I never owned a rc truck that would take this kind of abuse . My arrma granite 3s breaks something major everytime I try that jump. And my emaxx well it's a emaxx it would be destroyed!!

This thing is tough.

Anyone thinking of getting one. Just take the links apart and glue the threads then reassemble and wrap the plastic to steel joint with thread then wick ca into it. Heck wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap the driveshaft outer sides with thread and wicked ca. Then those parts are about bullet proof.

I have broken the pinion shaft off in the front. Otherwise it's been good.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #49

Yeah I think I seen that in your video. That had me nervous. Lol especially since my pinion yoke and differentials are all scared and scratched from rocks. I also worry about the steering linkage being exposed. The ti-rod and drag link have scars and pits everywhere also. But they seem to take it.

Seems like these axles are a winner also being able to withstand 4s power. I might install the under drive gears in the diffs and change out esc's and try 6s !!

I'm personally very impressed with the durability.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #50

If you continue to break/strip rod ends, the Jato & E-Revo rod ends should fix your issues.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

This thing is tough.

thats alot of little minor stuff breaking what happens when you start flying off of 20ft rocks or 30ft rocks ive done that to 20lb hard bodyed rig the wraith did that more times than i can count so 5ft isent vary impresive you should be able.to.do that day in day out with out breaking and im sure it will but thats still not bad for a rtr
redcat shure is fighting for there share of the market and they have been hitting the jim hard
Old 03-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #52

Had a wraith. I broke it also sharp jagged rocks seem to narrow the impact point. And things break also this truck is carrying ALOT more momentum. I'm coming off of the ledge at around 30mph after the motor swap.

The wraith was alot slower than the Wendigo about half the speed and torque. I ran alot of different rigs at this spot and the Wendigo is more durable in this running area then any other rig I have had

Thanks for the heads up on the jato revolution rod ends. I only broke one bottom link and I believe that was because it popped off the ball at the skid plate side and was hammering back and forth. I noticed after hardcore flipping and rolling the socket can pop off the ball at the skid plate. After I started giving it a quick glance when I go to turn it back on the wheels an popping them back on if they came loose I have had zero issues breaking them.

The screwed, glued, and wrapped link is holding up fine and is barely noticable because i used black ca.

The driveshaft was from a hit at the joint of the plastic and metal at the diff end. After gpopping the metal part out of the plastic taking the dremel and roughing the inside of the plastic up. Then using jb weld on the inside then using gorilla glue and thread on the outside. Then going over that with jb weld it has had no issues..

Not really alot broke. And the things that did were easily repaired. And are now stronger. Cost maybe a dollar in repairs and didn't have to buy anything or wait for parts to come in.

Myself I really dont see any durability issues. Just do the screw,glue and wrap method to the plastic steering links ( the rest on mine are still untouched factory installed)

Then then thread wrap ,ca and jb weld the metal to plastic junction on the driveshaft. (Only done this to one half of one driveshaft rest are factory stock)

Really not very much at all broke. And very cheap to upgrade dont have to order any parts! Lol

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-25-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Multi-posting
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Had a wraith. I broke it also sharp jagged rocks seem to narrow the impact point. And things break also this truck is carrying ALOT more momentum. I'm coming off of the ledge at around 30mph after the motor swap.

The wraith was alot slower than the Wendigo about half the speed and torque. I ran alot of different rigs at this spot and the Wendigo is more durable in this running area then any other rig I have had
your wraith was slow ?
the wraith is a bad comparison i spent alot of money to keep mine from breaking all the time but the redcat blackout never broke in 5 years and has a 3300kv brushless system and hits 47mph on the gps and has jump way further than and hit far harder and hasent broke yet the only real mod was the wraith cage replaced the stock body and some sticky tires

Last edited by ferp420; 03-23-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:21 PM   #54

Stock wraith 15mph. Modded Wendigo 30mph. With alot of torque in the chassis and gears when it lands. The wraith always broke c hubs links and drive shafts. Just as reported numerous times on this forum even the sticky for the wraith.

So when the wraith falls 20' there is a huge difference when it doesn't have the torque the speed or the momentum.

I had a wraith I know what broke on mine and numerous others reported here on the forum and youtube. Then start adding brushless systems to the wraith and the gears and driveline break.

So in the high speed rock racer class 30+mph the Wendigo is clearly the winner.

A $300 wraith upgraded to handle the power and momentum of 30+mph ends up being $600 with motor and esc upgrade.

Really not much breakage for me I broke arrma and the likes here. And had to wait on parts. The wraith also wait on parts.

Anyone can take a Wendigo out of the box. Take a few hours to screw ,glue and wrap and have more than likely the most durable in its class. Drive train has proven to withstand 4s stock. Wraith drivetrain wont do that
Old 03-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Stock wraith 15mph. Modded Wendigo 30mph. With alot of torque in the chassis and gears when it lands. The wraith always broke c hubs links and drive shafts. Just as reported numerous times on this forum even the sticky for the wraith.

So when the wraith falls 20' there is a huge difference when it doesn't have the torque the speed or the momentum.

I had a wraith I know what broke on mine and numerous others reported here on the forum and youtube. Then start adding brushless systems to the wraith and the gears and driveline break.

So in the high speed rock racer class 30+mph the Wendigo is clearly the winner.

A $300 wraith upgraded to handle the power and momentum of 30+mph ends up being $600 with motor and esc upgrade.

Really not much breakage for me I broke arrma and the likes here. And had to wait on parts. The wraith also wait on parts.

Anyone can take a Wendigo out of the box. Take a few hours to screw ,glue and wrap and have more than likely the most durable in its class. Drive train has proven to withstand 4s stock. Wraith drivetrain wont do that
maybe you should sell your arma and your traxxasssss and put some decent parts on your wraith before you start compairng the 2
Old 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #56

Lol I dont want a $600 wraith

A stock one that would take abuse would work for me

Imagine how strong and fast a $600 Wendigo would be!!

It would really whoop a wraith everywhere

So boo hoo someone stripped threads on a steering link. Instead of fixing it he threw money at it.

Then made another video saying how much better it is now then the video shows the Wendigo putting around on a trail. I dont see any upgrades he did?

Just threw money at it and cried and whined. For his one bad review video there are 20+ videos of the Wendigo getting hammered on.

Drive a Wendigo 12mph like a wraith and it would probably last 20 years of daily running without issue

Glad you love your wraith. It's what the hobby is all about

Personally the wraith I had wasn't all that. It broke alot.

My Wendigo is alot more durable then what my stock wraith is.

So clear winner for me and my personal love of the hobby is the Wendigo

I'm not trying to start a big blowout just my experience with both.

So I apologize to you and other forum members for getting into this debate with you

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-25-2020 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Multi-posting
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So I apologize to you and other forum members for getting into this debate with you
its all just opinions and cant be wrong right

just sayin a 5 ft jump is nothing based on other redcats you should.be able to do that day in day out with no breaks even the wraith would take that jump with out issue
carry on
Old 03-24-2020, 08:26 AM   #58

Actually a wraith wont. Been there done that. I have 4 redcar nitros 2 earthquake 3.5 and 2 volcano s30.

I have never had a problem with redcat or durability they last just as long as any brand.

Also have a traxxas slash.

What I'm getting at is you have absolutely no idea the terrain or abuse I put them through. So when I say the Wendigo has proven to be very durable that is saying something for me .

I live in the hills with washed out rotted jagged rocky terrain and cliffs. Average rock size is 8" and jagged and pretty much covered with those rocks.

I have had and still have alot of rc trucks and cars from various manufacturers .

The Wendigo is by far the strongest most durable one I have ever owned.

So over and out.

Keep on trucking buddy and no harm ment towards you or disrespect
Old 03-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Actually a wraith wont. Been there done that. I have 4 redcar nitros 2 earthquake 3.5 and 2 volcano s30.

I have never had a problem with redcat or durability they last just as long as any brand.

Also have a traxxas slash.

What I'm getting at is you have absolutely no idea the terrain or abuse I put them through. So when I say the Wendigo has proven to be very durable that is saying something for me .

I live in the hills with washed out rotted jagged rocky terrain and cliffs. Average rock size is 8" and jagged and pretty much covered with those rocks.

I have had and still have alot of rc trucks and cars from various manufacturers .

The Wendigo is by far the strongest most durable one I have ever owned.

So over and out.

Keep on trucking buddy and no harm ment towards you or disrespect
i disagree with you
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #60

I knew you would lol

Well onto something edifying and positive the drivetrain is still going strong on 4s. And both of my trail fixes are still holding up without a hitch.

So in my own personal opinion I see no durability issues with the Wendigo. I have well over 30 hours running time on it and had to do 2 trail fixes that are still holding. And the drive train seems to handle 4s fine

If 2 trail fixes in 30 hours of running is to much then the Wendigo probably isn't for you

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-25-2020 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Multi-posting