Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Help: Gen 8 axe axl steering link issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Exclamation Help: Gen 8 axe axl steering link issues

New to the forum, i just purchased my first crawler, Gen 8 axe.

I've been doing slight mods to it, the most recent one was replace the original links and install HUSKY LINKs. For some reason, it seems as the the front axle, is slightly skewed to the left vs lining up straight with the rear axle.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Last edited by BLACKAXEE; 04-08-2020 at 04:40 PM. Reason: ADD PHOTOS
BLACKAXEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Help: Gen 8 axe axl steering link issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAXEE View Post

I've been doing slight mods to it, the most recent one was replace the original links and install HUSKY LINKs. For some reason, it seems as the the front axle, is slightly skewed to the left vs lining up straight with the rear axle.

Been there done that and sent them back as they do not line up properly on the AXE. The closest I got with the steering link underneath the knuckles had it hanging down like a big brush bar. It's not a good setup unfortunately even with the servo relocation mount it wouldn't work.

Oh and the suspension links I didn't even bother with after seeing how the steering links were all wonky so i sent those back too.

Last edited by Flamnpede1; 04-08-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added comment.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I also had to unscrew the ends a fair amount to get the wheels straight. I figured they would end up working back and forth on the threads over time then strip or cause misalignment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAXEE View Post

it sounds like the axle is sitting off to one side right

the 3 link set up has design flaws built in to it the axle will always move side to side as it moves through its range of.traval thats just how it is so the trick is to center the axle at ride hight and live with it you can minimize this but you can not.get rid of it all.together

you can adjust the axle.side.to side by making the panhard bar longer or shorter depending what way you need to go

it dosent sound like the issue was caused by the husky links them selfs but i have never liked any of the club5 stuff they forgot to run there designs past the engineere before they released them and tend to make things worse not better kinda like the panhard bar being the wrong size or mounting the servo in the wrong place they just dont get it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The Husky steering link kit comes with two different length panhard bars. One for use with the stock servo mount & one for use with the Club 5 aluminum servo mount. Sounds like you've got the wrong one in there. Many people make the mistake of putting the wrong link in & then say Club 5 is junk. It's actually a very good link kit. Also, there was a note that came with my kit stating stating that if you run the steering link on top of the knuckles, you will need wheel spacers. This is because the rod ends are 4mm instead of the stock 3mm. Many people (me included) choose to run the steering link under the knuckles so we don't need wheel spacers. I've never had the steering link get in the way out on the rocks.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
The Husky steering link kit comes with two different length panhard bars. One for use with the stock servo mount & one for use with the Club 5 aluminum servo mount. Sounds like you've got the wrong one in there. Many people make the mistake of putting the wrong link in & then say Club 5 is junk. It's actually a very good link kit. Also, there was a note that came with my kit stating stating that if you run the steering link on top of the knuckles, you will need wheel spacers. This is because the rod ends are 4mm instead of the stock 3mm. Many people (me included) choose to run the steering link under the knuckles so we don't need wheel spacers. I've never had the steering link get in the way out on the rocks.
I wouldn't say the club5 stuff is junk it's beautifully machined. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work as intended especially on the Axe. Neither link from the servo was going to work when I was mocking it all up. Then to run the link between the two knuckles below the mounts put it way too low for my tastes and the way it flopped up and down annoyed me to no end. I also started comparing steering angles with just the link between the two knuckles by itself and noticed reduced turning angle. So, I did a little research and found exocaged RC did a video noting this same issue. It's a shame because I really thought the craftsmanship of the product was on point.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Once again, just because it looks good doesn't mean it works good.

What is wrong with the stock links?
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Once again, just because it looks good doesn't mean it works good.

What is wrong with the stock links?
Nothing is really wrong with stock ones now that I have played with the other ones. Thought perhaps the bigger links and relocation setup would have allowed me to use an aftermarket servo horn and moved some weight forward. Lesson learned LOL. It looks like the aftermarket trx4 servo horns will work though.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I love the husky links on the suspension, have tried them for steering and didnt like the larger diameter, finally ended up just making my own flat steel tie rod with the stock drag link and havnt looked back. The clearance at the pumpkin is so tight that going up to 6mm didnt seem to work.
Nogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogman View Post
I love the husky links on the suspension, have tried them for steering and didnt like the larger diameter, finally ended up just making my own flat steel tie rod with the stock drag link and havnt looked back. The clearance at the pumpkin is so tight that going up to 6mm didnt seem to work.
Thats what I see. The current cross link for steering is poorly disigned/bent. Angled link ends would help push it out in front of the axle, thereby allowing more turn without the cross link getting buried into the pumpkin...

but that only puts your cross link out farther, becoming more of a place to change up, and start to decrease approach angle perhaps. Going to take a bit of looking and messing with it to get it sorted.

But one of the first things I see a need for is a new cross link with proper pumpkin clearancing, as well as keeping it up high yet out of the way.

Then that panhard setup needs to be addressed.

I hear/read the SSD Panhard Mount for these rigs helps much. So I may look at going that route as a 2nd mod I make. I already trimmed about 1.5 mm off my pan hard link ends to shorten its length. It was literally shoving the axle 1/4 inch or more to the passenger side at full compression. That's unacceptable imho. But it is the 2nd of a few steering issues that must be addressed to improve its capability and make it a far better contender.

If the steering was better, and the panhard issue fixed/improved (perhaps an S curved link instead of the c bend style), the RedCats would really become one of the top Trail/Crawler rigs for the money.

But in the current offering, it's still going to carry some of that baggage with them.

Good to see others seeing the same things.
And some progress in a fix for them.
For me a new cross link that can clear the pumpkin when just turning is the important fix as I see it to address. Its amazing how much that messes with the axle shift. Getting rid of it or the majority of that problem will greatly improve not only steering radius as I see it on my Axe, but much of the axle shift as well when just turning.

Then getting the Panhard setup corrected to reduce and maybe emlinate the shift as it nears full compression will be the next big fix.

If those 2 issues get resolved as much as they can be, They'd have a real contender on their hands.
IMHO anyways.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gen 8, redcat

Help: Gen 8 axe axl steering link issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
red cat gen 8 axe foams slgen8 Redcat Crawlers 4 04-06-2020 11:45 AM
Gen 8 axe Sflo Redcat Crawlers 2 12-29-2019 12:52 AM
Redcat Gen 8 AXE Edition Details driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 12-02-2019 07:33 PM
GEN 7 STOCK STEERING FIX more steering easy! shenlonco Redcat Crawlers 0 10-27-2017 07:04 AM