Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen 7... portals... won’t turn right much

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #1

Default Gen 7... portals... won’t turn right much

I did the portal upgrade on my gen 7 pro. It seemed the high steer wasn’t a real solution as every review had problems.

Plus the portals have extra clearance... which has transformed the truck immensely.

But i have a problem with the steering. Turning left is fine, but turning right, the servo seems to be at equal distance but it’s a lack luster angle. I have the oem controller switch up to 100%. If I kept it at 50-70% or what ever the oem instructions say, the steering is pathetic left and right.

It almost looks like a longer steering horn might solve this problem.

I will happily put a new servo in if it’s a direct plug and play (I really don’t want to get into new esc and other electronic bits, just a plug in servo for now)

I have quadruple checked to make sure the servo is in the middle of its stroke when zero’d.

So it’s not a “horn is off the splines”.... but to be honest, I can’t remember if I tried to install the horn clocked to the rights advantage or not. I want to say I did and couldn’t get enough trim correction on the controller. It’s been a bit and I’ve had too many concussions and have a terrible memory.

Can anyone help with a solution?
Fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #2

Default Re: Gen 7... portals... won’t turn right much

I'm assuming the when you did the upgrade that you are using the chassis mounted servo and panhard bar with a 3 link in the front?
Crashoverrideplik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Yes. Exactly how the instructions said... combined with their install vid because the written instructions were terrible. But combined made it possible.
I wish there was something in the instructions about setting the preload on the slipper clutch. Oddly no torque numbers for the nut.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I just put a slightly longer horn on my Axe rig. It did seem to help the right turn radius a bit. However I had to cut EPAs a bit to stop the cross link from being buried in the pumpkin. I am thinking a new Cross link on the steering is going to be a mandatory modification on these RedCats. The bump steer is fairly bad, and the link bump at full compression shifts the entire front axle to the passenger side. I already narrowed down the link ends to help eliminate some of it. but it's still too much for my liking.

At some point, I will have to tear the steering down from Servo Mount to Knuckles and go through every part including the pan hard setup.

Seems it was put together and only moderately tested just for functionality, but little attention to accuracy. I see Club5 has a servo relocation mount, but in not sure just centering the servo will fix the issue. This is a link, placement, and geometry issue that goes beyond servo mount location.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Does the gen 8 centering work on the gen 7?

At this rate I’ll try anything.

I’m looking for a plug and play steering servo that won’t require anything else (
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Im not sure. It says it was made for the Gen 8 Specifically, but the 7's were very similar I thought, with better plastics and reinforced areas, but I have not looked close enough at my Axe, let alone a Gen 7 to say.

Just getting back in after about a decade hiatus.

The servo relocation mount is from Club5, they can be found on Ebay and Amazon. It moves the servo so it is in the center of the chassis rails, and parallel to them, where the stock on the Gen 8 has the horn gear to the drivers side fo the chassis and the servo is mounted perpendicular to the rails.

Club5 claims it 'fixes' the gen8 Steering Geometry. Though You may need a new shorter steering servo link by the looks of it. I don't have one so can only guesstimate from pics and threads.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

The Club 5 servo link won't fit the Gen7, not without a lot of mods. The only thing the same between the Gen7 and Gen8 chassis is the Redcat name.
redbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

club 5 racing products have horable reviews from almost everyone on this site whos used them there gen8 servo mount dosent fix anything adds uneeded wait up high were you dont want it and requires a shorter steering link that creates more bump steer so basicly makes it worse in every posable way a true downgrade

people are breaking there husky links as easy as stock links too so there not a upgrade ether
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I was looking at the Copper links. Not sure who makes them.

but if I have link issues. I may try to use the SSD Ti links. They are smaller in diameter and lighter, but should be stronger.

When I seen how the Club 5 reset the servo and only includes a shot horn, I figured a bandaid at best, but most likely a CF adding more issues, not solving any.

Gen 7... portals... won’t turn right much - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX 10.2 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals Rig Axial SCX10 II 7 10-07-2019 09:58 PM
Redcat Gen 7 Portals On SCX10II Honcho Bkrboy98 Axial SCX10 II 4 05-29-2019 05:23 PM
Servo won’t turn all the way for steering RedBuster Vaterra Ascender 2 02-20-2019 12:54 PM