Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Proline 4runner GEN8-PACK build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #1

Talking Proline 4runner GEN8-PACK build

Finally got my Redcat GEN8-PACK kit all put together yesterday and took it out for my first ever experience crawling. So much fun!

I can't believe I waited this long to try out the crawling side of this RC hobby. I also never knew how much I appreciated this part of our landscaping until now.

Very pleased with the build. Super happy with the components selected. Wouldn't change a thing.

My son built one along with me using a Jeep body, I'll post pics of it once he gets some shots of it out in it's natural habitat.
ruralcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Proline 4runner GEN8-PACK build

Nice build! One thing to watch out for after you have been out running for a while is the front lower link mounts like to work themselves loose. The best option to resolve this is the SSD lower link mount kit as it has a milled pocket that fits over the oval shape mount to prevent side to side movement.

Also, if you break something don't be afraid to reach out to Redcat support because they are pretty good about making it right.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

ill second the ssd front lower link mounts probably the only must have upgrade out of the box
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

I appreciate the advice guys. I will look into those link mounts.

I'm a little displeased with the play in the front steering arm on the knuckle. that plastic seems a bit weak. Does anyone make a stiffer plastic alternative? Not sure I'm ready to go to brass or metal there just yet. I may have highlighted the problem as I spaced the main link up a bit so that it would clear the diff cover better

Last edited by ruralcrawler; 06-16-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I always had a soft spot for a 4 runner
triptherip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralcrawler View Post
I appreciate the advice guys. I will look into those link mounts.

I'm a little displeased with the play in the front steering arm on the knuckle. that plastic seems a bit weak. Does anyone make a stiffer plastic alternative? Not sure I'm ready to go to brass or metal there just yet. I may have highlighted the problem as I spaced the main link up a bit so that it would clear the diff cover better
your ether stuck with stock plastic or aluminum or aftermarket brass or aluminum i went the aluminum route and added brass half waights that hange down low its plenty heavy and stable with out being brassed out
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

yeah. surprised that companies like RPM that make harder plastic upgrades aren't at least dabbling in the crawler space a little.

I use their parts a lot when things break on other RCs. when you go all-in on metal you just move your break point significantly where just a little stiffer plastic helps resolve the weakness w/o passing on significantly more stress to the next part.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #8

Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation on the SSD link mounts. The fronts made a noticeable difference in alleviating some of the steering slop I was seeing.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralcrawler View Post
Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation on the SSD link mounts. The fronts made a noticeable difference in alleviating some of the steering slop I was seeing.
You are very welcome! Also, if the bump steer bugs you that much you can get an RCWORLD trx4 low profile servo horn and eliminate it. I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well I just found that to be the most economical because I was replacing them on two trucks.
Flamnpede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #10

I'm not running a stock GEN8 servor or horn already, so it's good enough for me now. bumpsteer is minimal and I'm rarely every compressed evenly. now I hope to do new portal covers eventually as the link mount arms have a bit more flex to them than I'd like. Probably go with SSD.

Proline 4runner GEN8-PACK build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions about the GEN8 PACK? Frank211 Redcat Crawlers 4 12-01-2021 12:11 PM
GEN8 PACK Post Apocalyptic Raider truck build thread Damatheus Redcat Crawlers 16 05-17-2020 09:20 PM
Fitting the Pro-Line SR5 to a Gen8 PACK Elmo Redcat Crawlers 6 08-21-2019 12:46 PM
My Gen8 PACK-well, it was for a bit.... dungeonracer Redcat Crawlers 4 05-14-2019 09:33 AM
Proline 4Runner body JamesB Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 03-21-2018 09:50 PM