Notices

Thread: Gener8ightion:Rona

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gener8ightion:Rona

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
The body lines on the grill mated to the body are completely off though. It’s really the only gripe I have with this kit.
They are not off, it's just that it looks like the grille has some kind of rubber strip on its top. Maybe some aftermarket accessory that was on the Cherokee the designer used as a model ...
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
They are not off, it's just that it looks like the grille has some kind of rubber strip on its top. Maybe some aftermarket accessory that was on the Cherokee the designer used as a model ...

Yes I’ve come to terms with the line. It’s supposed to be a strip of black rubber. They are factory Jeep I do believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Where I’m at today. The accoutrements to the body are coated with flat black and drying. I’m really liking what the dead flat clear did to the appearance of the truck. It went on super easy. It’s not the best paint job/body work but it’s just a trail truck and I’m happy with it and it feels super durable Where I messed up is my prep. I only sanded the primer to 600 grit and the edges fine details with a brown 3m Brillo pad. Next time I’ll know to use 1000grit, live and learn. This is my first time doing styrene and hard body things

Old 09-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Got the Crawler innovations foams in and installed. I went with the heavyweight company cut lil Nova 4.5in soft front and medium rear. I had placed an order for 2 sets of soft and I was worried so I called and spoke to eddy. He was super helpful and really does know his foams. I found the easiest way to mount them was to turn the tire inside out and flip it back over the two foam parts, one and done type of deal! Lots of support now. And the cut swampers are working very well and I’m quite pleased with this rtr tire. The foam upgrade will be a winner I’m sure.

I’ve created a pretty sturdy mounting set up for the body. I have it so it will hinge at the front with the factory steel mounting brackets. The rear of the cab has two magnet sets per side. Visible magnets are there to clamp while the epoxy cures. The Redcat chassis allows for a lot of room for a full depth interior. I’m not going that far yet but I’m building the framework for one. Now that I have my body height set I can begin work on the rear cage and get back out on the trails

Old 09-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Default Gener8ightion:Rona

Ok so I’m at a stalemate trying to mount the Jeep body. I can’t seem to get rid of the axle steer on the passenger side. At full flex and steering locked right the tire is smashed into the fender. I might have to make some suspension links and order up some more revo rod ends. The way my panhard is set up I cannot move the links into the longest wheelbase position. It puts a nasty angle on it. I may have to move and permanently affix one to the rail. Edit: doh “insert homer” I seem to have forgotten that I still had the option to relocate the panhard to the front of the chassis side mount. I now have proper geometry set for longest wheelbase on the front. I’ve got the tires stuffed at full flex I get a touch of rub on the front side of the wheel well. Best I can do so far. With that hiccup sorted I’ll get to making the cage soon

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 09-09-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Well work has finally picked back up. Not sure how I feel about it cutting into my building time.

Now working on rockers/boat sides by modifying the ones I built and didn’t like for the scout body

Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Little update. Spent many of hours of Mindless R&D on proper fitting of the body to the chassis. I have a decent set of rock rails built problem is they still don’t clear the tires at full lock. And same as fender clearance. I don’t want to do any fender hacks so I’ve got a set of 4.19in Baja Claws In the Mail. According to Crawler innovations website the inner closed cell foam on the 4.5in lil Nova is the same piece as the 4.19 single stage. Here’s to hoping I can put the inners to use. I’m not sure how I’m going to like a small tire on a relatively big chassis though. The stock set up had me begging for more tire not less... time will tell.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Default Gener8ightion:Rona

Well the RC4WD 4.19in Baja claw TTC tires arrived. I am pleased to say that the inner closed cell foam from CI 4.5in lil Nova fits these tires quite nicely. The foam is I would guess a 1/4in smaller diameter than the inside of the tire so lots of tire to conform to the ground. I’ve not vented them yet..
tons of clearance in the fender of the Jeep now It rides to high now though it looks at home in the back room of dominos pizza joint

A pic of how she sits now. All clear in the tire rubbing department. Should be able to take it for its maiden voyage this weekend this project has taught me quite a few things.. one major issue is that I need a second truck. Taking my only truck out of commission to mount this body was a burden as I couldn’t get out and wheel. So SSD trail king in the mail

Last edited by RockCrawlingKid; 09-29-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:42 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Well well well I finally have completed the farmer special truggy haha. I’m quite satisfied with this set up now test drive in the back yard was a success. The baja claws look to be a promising tire as well. Though the Heavy weight foam in the rear is to stiff. In the front it looks to be performing excellently crawling/flexing on the concrete staircase. I took these photos with our Nikon d3500 So I’m learning... and I haven’t done any post editing
Old 10-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #70

Just wanna say thanks for documenting and sharing your project! I'm exploring options for customizing my Scout and found some useful ideas from you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
averan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by averan View Post
Just wanna say thanks for documenting and sharing your project! I'm exploring options for customizing my Scout and found some useful ideas from you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hey thanks. I’m glad my build has helped you.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Hello guys so tonight I upgraded my truck to a hobbywing 1080 and a radio link rc6gs. So far from my little cruise around the basement is looking very good. I’ve unlocked a ton more control out of this unit. Also I’ve discovered a bent shock shaft so that will need remedy soon.

Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Played with Rona today. Had some fun and learned the ways of the radiolink 6ch. What an amazing piece of kit! The 1080 was nice but I’m loving the radio. Steering is far better than with the stock radio. And with the resolution set to .02ms on the 1080. The throttle control is so precise! Very pleased! Also I highly recommend the 13t crawlmaster sport to anyone looking for a motor for the gen 8. With a 13t pinion it has fantastic wheelspeed as well as a good final drive ratio to allow the motor to hold the truck and provide instant torque when needed.