Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Upgrade Camo X4 or buy Gen8 Axe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Default Upgrade Camo X4 or buy Gen8 Axe

So I just got my Camo X4 last week and im really loving it. Once i got everything kind of dialed in i was loving it so much that I clipped the side of a pole with my left front tire and broke a lower suspension arm. While i am waiting for parts ive been looking at the gen 8 Axe and i really like it too. Just not sure if i like it enough to drop 500 bucks on it. Long question short, is it possible to modify the Camo enough to find a nice balance of moderate speed and decent crawling abililty by changing motors, ESC, tires etc and NOT spend 500 bucks on a new toy? I know i wont have the portal axles, steel frame, all that. Just considering my options.
Also the fact that no local hobby shops carry Redcat parts kind of bummed me out. Maybe an Axial would be a better choice? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just doing this for fun, no comp or racing anything like that.
skatecyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Upgrade Camo X4 or buy Gen8 Axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatecyco View Post
So I just got my Camo X4 last week and im really loving it. Once i got everything kind of dialed in i was loving it so much that I clipped the side of a pole with my left front tire and broke a lower suspension arm. While i am waiting for parts ive been looking at the gen 8 Axe and i really like it too. Just not sure if i like it enough to drop 500 bucks on it. Long question short, is it possible to modify the Camo enough to find a nice balance of moderate speed and decent crawling abililty by changing motors, ESC, tires etc and NOT spend 500 bucks on a new toy? I know i wont have the portal axles, steel frame, all that. Just considering my options.
Also the fact that no local hobby shops carry Redcat parts kind of bummed me out. Maybe an Axial would be a better choice? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Just doing this for fun, no comp or racing anything like that.

I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I love my gen 8 scout 2 but I’ve been breaking a lot of parts. Standard stuff like bearings and sintered gears in the portals. lol like the truck it’s just parts availability is brutal up here in Canada. Everyone seems to still keep trx4 stuff In stock up here so I’m on the fence to either keep throwing money into the gen 8 or buy a trx4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you are eyeing the Gen 8 Axe edition than yes its a great truck and pretty reliable. I'm not easy on my stuff at all and with all the upgraded parts and the axe system you wont be disappointed. Out of the box its a beast, But with anything care is needed. Neglect and abuse only goes so far. Hope this help. If you do get it brass portal inners and outers are a must and I also run the brass diff cover. Plants the front down pretty good. Also Redcat ships really fast and most stuff is easy bought from Amazon or FLEBAY
djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr01974 View Post
If you are eyeing the Gen 8 Axe edition than yes its a great truck and pretty reliable. I'm not easy on my stuff at all and with all the upgraded parts and the axe system you wont be disappointed. Out of the box its a beast, But with anything care is needed. Neglect and abuse only goes so far. Hope this help. If you do get it brass portal inners and outers are a must and I also run the brass diff cover. Plants the front down pretty good. Also Redcat ships really fast and most stuff is easy bought from Amazon or FLEBAY

I haven’t had the chance to do anything I had planned for my gen 8 as I’ve been chasing tails with breakage after breakage. I’m not easy on it but I keep it well maintained. I’ve owned a lot of rc trucks over the years. This gen 8 being as problematic as an og scx10 trail honcho. It functions way better however. Owning the gen 8 for less than 2 months now and while I am impressed on its function. I’m less pleased with its reliability. The bearings are to small and odd sizes for the application. Seemingly Small but Critical details are missed on the gen 8 This obviously just my opinion.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
I love my gen 8 scout 2 but I’ve been breaking a lot of parts
RCK, do you have the original Gen8 Scout 2 or do you have the Axe edition?
I am trying to get a feel for reliability.
My wife purchased herself a Scout 2 Axe so of course, I had to get one too.
We are just starting to look at what to get to improve things. Foams, tires, maybe some tweaks to the panhard or steering.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
RCK, do you have the original Gen8 Scout 2 or do you have the Axe edition?
I am trying to get a feel for reliability.
My wife purchased herself a Scout 2 Axe so of course, I had to get one too.
We are just starting to look at what to get to improve things. Foams, tires, maybe some tweaks to the panhard or steering.

I have an original scout 2. Purchased at the end of June. It’s been broken pretty much all of July. I got a few hrs out of it last week and only ten minutes today. now I’m waiting for a new servo. I’ve got a complete new axe axle (from eBay)under the front end. And the HD housings in the rear. Only have the ten minutes on them though. They do seem much stronger than the original housing.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

my gen8 is from the first batch that came out its been rock solid it did break the usual portal gears but homeboy came up with a fix for the original setup and i havent broken another portal gear since the steering knuckle broke not a surprise but what did surprise me was as soon as i bolted the new one on it snapped with almost no force i dident even put it on the ground yet so i beleve there was a bad run of parts cause alot of people where complaining about breakadge around that time redcat changed there design around that time too and mad3 stuff alot stronger because of it so it kinda was a good thing
the electronics in the og gen8 aernt the best but should get you through the first few months tipical rtr electronics
the tires are decent your foams are more of a preferance than anything

like rockmallingkid pointed out the bearings arent th3 best ether

theres a thread called what did you break on your gen8 or something like that and we have shared most of our breakadges trying to get a idea of what parts to keep onhand but it kinda died whan the axe came out cause redcat fixed most of the problems with the platform
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You guys must be bashing these things. I have the Axe edition and aside from changing the tires and foams adding a lot of brass in the front I have not broken a single part and it still runs strong. I've had it since Dec when they pretty much came out. I gave my nephew my original gen 8 scout 2 its still going strong.

djr01974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
the axe came out cause redcat fixed most of the problems with the platform

Thanks ferp and RCK, I wanted to make sure I was associating the right issues with the right model.
2 Axes and just starting the search for the right upgrades, collecting the right tools, etc.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:55 PM   #10

Thanks everybody. I dont know how to do that quote shit but thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Axe and it will be here tomorrow. Parts came for the Camo today and ima ****ing rant on that right now.
Can't wait to get the Gen8 tomorrow. Based on what I learned about the Camo I may spend the day just going over the POS, loc tight, tuck the bumpers, etc.
skatecyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:17 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatecyco View Post
Thanks everybody. I dont know how to do that quote shit but thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Axe and it will be here tomorrow. Parts came for the Camo today and ima ****ing rant on that right now.
Can't wait to get the Gen8 tomorrow. Based on what I learned about the Camo I may spend the day just going over the POS, loc tight, tuck the bumpers, etc.
the ssd lower link mounts on the front are a must have upgrade and should be done before you run it or brace the panhard bar off to something solid i prefer the upper link mount on the axle my self if you dont the screws will strip out on the axle mount and ruin your $8 axle housing
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrade Camo X4 or buy Gen8 Axe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen8 scout or axe edition? ianpurdy1 Redcat Crawlers 8 04-29-2020 10:13 PM
Gen8 Axe Brushless system raul shabinguez Electronics 2 04-13-2020 09:06 AM
Husky links on gen8 axe SSMURPHY Redcat Crawlers 9 03-13-2020 09:49 AM
Are gen8 Axe shocks normally spongy? BA0701 Redcat Crawlers 3 01-25-2020 11:35 PM