Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gen8 Scout II review - a newbie's perspective

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Default Gen8 Scout II review - a newbie's perspective

I have just started getting into crawlers and I looked at all my options and checked out all the reviews and pondered all my choices before deciding on the Redcat Gen8 Scout.

One of the things common to every one of the reviews of various trucks was that they were all done by experienced crawler people. I mean - it makes sense. Experienced crawler folks have the experience to judge a crawler and know what to look for and what's important.

But what an old hand is looking for in a new crawler isn't necessarily the same as what a newbie is looking for. So I decided to do a review from my perspective, as someone looking for their first crawler.
As a new person trying to get into the hobby I wanted something:
not too expensive
not too complicated
not something that needs to have changes or upgrades right away
but something that can get upgraded and changed as I change and get better

I was looking hard at the Redcat Gen7 Pro. It seemed like the perfect choice. But then I got an opportunity to get the Gen8 so I went for it. And I'm really glad that I did.

What I bought:
Gen8 Scout, a charger, and 2 5200mah 2S batteries.
I maybe should have gone with smaller batteries. a couple of 2000mah batteries would have been just fine.

Unboxing:
Out of the box, everything on this crawler looked just fine. I've read the reviews that complain about issues with steering, with leaking shocks, and all of that. I had no problems.
The shocks were fine. Everything looked ready to go. So I put batteries in the TX and the truck, and took it out to my backyard for a test run.

First drive:
After I turned it on the steering didn't want to work. The steering rate was way off and it just didn't work. But after fiddling with all the rates and trims for a bit I got things to where I could run the truck.

I drove it around the yard to get a feel for it. The steering angle isn't that great. The throttle is kind of abrupt and jerky. It's not easy to start out slow.

Luckily I have a rock garden and some rough overgrown areas in my yard so I was able to give it a little bit of a workout. I thought it did just fine. People complain about the stock tires not being very good.
I (remember - I have zero experience at this point) think they're just fine. They crawled up and over logs and rocks without feeling like they were slipping.

Adjustment and next couple of drives:
I saw a video about fixing the drag link angle by moving the tie rod down on the steering knuckles, so I did that.
I also adjusted the drag link and tie rod a little so that the wheels were more properly adjusted. When I first got it, there was some toe-in and they weren't at the same angle. I had to adjust the steering trim a fair bit (all the way to the right) to get the truck to track straight. After these changes I was able to adjust the steering rate better and get a better turning radius.
That and a little practice with the throttle made the truck much more controllable at slow rock crawling speeds.

I've run it a couple more times and so far I am really happy with it. I did run it out in the rain once and it tried to run away from me. I think it's not as waterproof as I thought it was... I need to get in and do some waterproofing if I'm going to keep running it when it's wet out.

What I think about it:
I think the Redcat Gen8 is a fantastic choice for a new RC crawler enthusiast to get started with. You very likely would be just as happy with a Traxxas or an Axial too. But if you like the Scout body or want to start with something around $300, you won't be disappointed with the Redcat.

I have plans to upgrade it. Of course. It's got plenty of things I can do to keep me busy modifying and upgrading things for a long time. But I don't feel like I have to. I can just charge the battery and run it and have tons of fun. I'm totally happy with my choice.

What you need to do to it to run it:
Nothing. Well, mostly nothing. Adjust the steering. Check the shocks. Go for it and have fun.

What you might want to do to it:
A better servo? I've ordered a 25kg servo to see if it helps with steering. But I'm not sure it really needs it.
Tires - sure it could use better tires. I'm gonna run these for a while though.
Upgrade some parts. But you don't have to. I have a whole list of things I want for it. But I can hold off until the budget allows and still get to run the truck. Motor and ESC. A better radio. A bunch of suspension upgrades. But all of that can happen as I have time and money.

Final thoughts:
Don't overthink it. If you're a newbie looking to get a crawler - just do it. Pick the one you can afford and that you like the looks of. If you keep going you'll end up with a whole shelf full of them - you can get that super high end perfect truck later.
ChillyWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Gen8 Scout II review - a newbie's perspective

Well done, thanks.
Uncle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well written indeed. This is what newbs need to see, which is that you dont have to spend a ton to have fun. Glad your enjoying the platform.

Keep us updated with how it holds together over the long haul.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well written review. I would highly suggest picking up a couple sets of bearing kits for the truck. Tear apart and clean the portal boxes after every outing, use marine grease enough to keep crap out but not so much that it oozes out when mating case half’s together.

Must have upgrades from my experience includes ssd lower link mounts, ssd portal knuckles, a low profile servo horn and an 11-13 tooth pinion gear. If you have a scout 2 like me upgrade To the axe edition spec axle housings and cv axles. I’ve got a good stock of spare cvs now for when they eventually will fail. Aside from small bearings used throughout, I’ve found the quality of plastic to be very good. Same goes for the esc and radio. Make sure to pick up a spare servo. So far I’ve been liking my powerhd 25kg waterproof aluminum case servo. A Holmes crawlmaster sport should be your first priority before you upgrade radio and or the esc. I’ve been keeping my gen 8 about as budget friendly as possible while still making it my own. I’m going for max durability as it is my only rig. It’s a great truck. Every brand will break. Just keep up on proper maintenance and it will treat you well.

I was drawn to the gen 8 for one simple reason: It’s simple design I wanted portals but didn’t care for dig/2speed/selecting lockers found in the trx4/axial 10-3. It’s just more failure points imo (if the portals aren’t enough). I’m happy with mine but not super thrilled I find myself yearning for a non portal truck. Ymmv happy trails
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
... lots of good advice...
Every brand will break. Just keep up on proper maintenance and it will treat you well.
That's almost how I'm going so far. I haven't ordered the bearing kit yet, but I'll need to get it soon I'm sure.
I have the SSD lower links coming based on advice I saw somewhere else (possibly by you) and a Hobbywing ESC and a Trailmaster motor. I couldn't help myself. I had intended to keep it cheap and not buy anything until it broke, but I gave in and bought a couple of things...
Upgraded axle parts are on my soon list. I'm hoping to get them and a few things from Redcat, but I'm waiting for them to have the flat chassis back in stock so I can order it all at once.
ChillyWilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gen8, newbie, review, scout

Gen8 Scout II review - a newbie's perspective - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen8 Scout - true 1/10? No2Mud Redcat Crawlers 7 03-31-2020 05:39 PM
Another Gen8 Scout ii mgputer Redcat Crawlers 10 09-09-2019 01:45 PM
Blue Gen8 Scout II DukeMinnix Redcat Crawlers 8 01-15-2019 01:16 PM