Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Better shocks for a gen7 pro (in a new chassis)?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Better shocks for a gen7 pro (in a new chassis)?

I've moved my gen7 pro into an Integy chassis, and along the way noticed that one of my shock shafts is bent and binding horribly.

What're some good options for upgraded shocks? I could probably just replace the one, but if it's not too expensive I'd like to make some improvements. I'm not going for scale, so I'm not sure if I need to stick with stock length or not.

I'm also adding a Bastens 4ws module and swapped out the rear axle for a new front axle, and upgraded the link ends to aluminum after breaking one of the plastic ones.

I'm definitely going to need shorter inner links on this chassis too, as it stands both axles are rotated a little too far, the servo mounts are angled outwards on both axles.

Last edited by Raketemensch; 09-06-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Better shocks for a gen7 pro (in a new chassis)?

Proline scale series. OR TRX GTRs are both good functioning shocks that also look good.

Many seem to be liking the Hot Racing Desert Lizard internal spring shocks...

I picked up a set of shocks that come from RCAWD and are said to be made for the Gen 8s. They're inexpensive and the shock end doesn't set in the perch made for it. but they seem like decent shocks otherwise. not had a chance to run them yet.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

your looking for a set of 90mm shocks any brand will work i use alot of cheap chinese shock there ok they work and there not $100 a set
why not just straighten the one thats bent i did that years ago on my gen8 and im still running it and no binding or leaks
the shafts arent spring steal but they do work just fine
look to see if there is any binding my gen8 at full compresion the shock body would hit the frame and the shafts would bend a few small spacers and no more issues

if your wheel base is ok your gona have to play with shortening the upper links and langthening the lowers if your not to worried about wheel base you can just buy longer rod ends for the lower links and that should fix the axle angle also you can trim down the rod ends you have on the upper links i dont know how much though

you can buy some 1/8 inch all thread from the local hardwere store and make custom links out of that then sleave them wit stainless steal tubing or break line from the auto parts store
i buy my stainless and titanium tubing on ebay usualy about $5-$10 for enuff to do one rig

Last edited by ferp420; 09-07-2021 at 07:20 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have a bent shaft on my G8 AXE Rig. Sounds like what Ferp described in how the shaft is bending. One sticks at full extension.

Been thinking about checking some GTR Shock shafts to see if I can find replacements for the stock RedCat Shafts.

I like the shocks. They work pretty well overall. But would be nice to have some Nitride coated high end shock shafts to use.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the answers, everyone, I'm going to see what I can do with the existing shock.

I did some research and read up on why more travel isn't always better too, there's a lot to learn here.

It also looks like Integy and a few other companies sell links of various sizes pretty cheaply, so I can hopefully just order something to fix things. I've also seen a lot of other people just rolling with it like this, but it just doesn't look right to me.

Last edited by Raketemensch; 09-09-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The stock G8 shock shafts are 3mm x 51mm double threaded. Traxxas has a GTR shock that is double threaded and 51mm long. maybe 52/53mm I think would work and they are TiNi coated at 10.00 a pack. the stock steel Traxxas Slash ones are 3.00 but they are clip piston retaining shocks where the TiNi GTRs that come on the Slash Ultimate are double threaded.

I will be getting a couple sets to try. Which is fine as I have a Slash Ultimate they can work on if they don't work on the G8, which I can not see any reason whey they wouldn't. Even if they are a mm or two too long, you can generally thread the shock end on a bit farther or even drill the end hole out another mm to rid the difference.

Better shocks for a gen7 pro (in a new chassis)? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gen7 Pro leans to the left...? Sivart541 Newbie General 2 09-20-2019 07:36 PM
Gen7 pro shock pistons freakofnature Redcat Crawlers 5 10-01-2018 12:13 PM
Just got my gen7 pro downeast crawlers Redcat Crawlers 0 08-23-2018 08:11 PM
Gen7 Pro Sale jwwolf3 Redcat Crawlers 0 06-17-2018 06:10 PM