Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Beginning of a weird Everest 10 journey...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #1

Default Beginning of a weird Everest 10 journey...

Not being a part of this forum until now was I feel...a huge mistake. I'm going to slowly chronicle the buildup of my son's E10 based crawler. Several mods have been completed as of now.

-Rebuilt stock shocks with pen spring mod and TLR 30wt
oil.
-RC4WD brushed Crawler motor
-Steel trans gears
-1.9 Interco Super Swamper TSL SXs mounted on stock
2.2 wheels
-Metal servo arm
-Various bodies
Littlebeardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #2

Default Re: Beginning of a weird Everest 10 journey...

PICS Coming!!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Dad needs a crawler. Ours is a family operation. Dad tinkers, kid wrecks, wife hikes.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #4

PD, dad's issue is I started this mess! Ha. I've got a Nightcrawler and the wife just ok's a TRX4 Sport that is waiting on fulfillment from Traxxas. Tinkering with his while we wait!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #5

Current status...
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #6

4 RC4WD Mud Slingers for reference.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #7

Body panel time...starting with the bed. Hoping to figure out a decent way to go stealth with the esc or transmitter while keeping it somewhat scale. Probably going the cliche fuel cell or tool box route...but we shall see.

Initial mock up cardboard gave me 110mm at the front, 90mm at the rear tapered with 75mm sides. Rough cuts for the shocks will be properly measured and cut on the 2nd cardboard template. Picked up a 6x18in 0.025 Aluminum sheet for panels...any advice or cons to that?
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

Bed and hinged tire carrier mock up...

Tire carrier came to me as I was staring at the tubing. Moved some around, put an offset hole to the driver side, and harvested a front driver aluminum hub off of an AWD buggy we had laying around. Tapped the tubing and the hub already had an offset hole that I enlarged. Started to chamfer the bottom to act as a friction lock. I will figure out a way to make it not look like a hub as well as finish the chamfer with a better file. My son wanted it mounted in the bed, but that would take the precious space created and I convinced him this would be just as cool while also totally disrupting our COG. Oh well, the build will continue with available parts until packages begin to arrive.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

More close ups of the temporary hinge and how the friction lock will work.

Ideas on how to rework the hinge are needed...this was just to allow it to swing as well as get the proper spacing. Also ideas on how to seal off and shape the back of the hub are needed before I slap some JB WELD into that sucker and sand it to my liking before paint.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

the suspention geomitry on that chassie sucks hard but there are a few aftermarket skid plates.that bolt right on and fix most of it
those e10s can be a decent crawler with some simple mods
or ditch the e10 chassie all together and build a scaler on a scx10 frame
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 04:30 AM   #11

Definitely have seen the skids, just can not find a link to one because I have zero social media and that's the hot ticket for selling things now. Link is appreciated! Scx10 II frame is enroute for a little side scale project using the Nightcrawler chassis, and I've got a TRX4 otw...just waiting on the local HS to get it fulfilled and shipped. I hate having money out in space and nothing currently to show for it. Ha. His Everest so far is nearly free other than initial cost and motor.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Nothing wrong with a low budget project! I am digging the wide tires. Not real familiar with the Everest - are those the wheels it came with? That setup looks like what I see on 1:1 trucks around here, 12.5" tires stretched on 14or 16" wide wheels. The redneck in me has always liked that look.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i dont do social media ether and i dont know who has the best stuff but there is a huge thread on the e10 that covers years of mods and what works and what dosent that would be your best bet to find the best parts for your project
i made my own skid and chassie out of a old cutting board
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:52 AM   #14

Being a Carolina boy myself, growing up if you had a Toyota pickup on the cliche 3in body lift, torsion bars cranked all the way up and 33's...you were hot s#$t lol. Also trying to convince your girlfriend it didn't ride like a rented mule was a challenge.

I've got a belly skid from an AWD buggy that I'm using to fab a shorty pack holder under the nose and possibly enough to look into a skid. Also skimming the forums now and I keep hitting old or dead links. The search continues!
Old 02-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #15

Currently mocking up the battery box and esc mounting ideas. Using the factory battery mounting area, and cutting it at the back, no interference with the gears as well as being nearly flush with the inside firewall area. I'll have plenty of space under the hood area and possibly able to mount the esc under where a dash will end up. Reciever will be in the back unless I can find somewhere to mount it cleanly up front. Headed to the hobby shop now to pick up items and will update accordingly.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #16

PD, they are the factory wheels with stretched 1.9 Swampers. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it looks great for him. Little Bear (son) says he likes it and that's all that matters...although I think it looks rad as well!
Old 02-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebeardad View Post
PD, they are the factory wheels with stretched 1.9 Swampers. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it looks great for him. Little Bear (son) says he likes it and that's all that matters...although I think it looks rad as well!

I had a similar setup on my 1:1 with Falken Wildpeak MTs, looked pretty cool but yeah definitely a love/hate..are they 12mm hex wheels? Sorry for all the questions, just building my case for an interesting wheel/tire combo on another project (think period correct squarebody chevy with a littlle lean to it haha. A shelf queen, I have an SCX10 that is begging to be messed with)

Last edited by Phildirt; 02-06-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM   #18

Yea man, 12mm hex. I've got an 85 Square sitting in my driveway now lol. The stock wheels and 2.2 foams allowed the 1.9 to not have much shoulder roll off and actually allows the truck to perform just as well. Towards the end of the project I'll probably tear them apart and add some weights to the front ones depending on how balanced it is with the battery and electronics up front.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #19

Mock up complete and near final product complete. I'll be running a shorty battery and using the measurements found online for the packs...came up with this.

Using the factory battery tray, I cut the end off and smoothed the corners off. Using one set of existing frame holes that I enlarged, I rough rounded recess points for the body mount screws and drilled (2) more holes to allow us (4) bolt points. I marked the points for the bolts on the plastic with a sharpie and zip zapped my mounting points into the plastic. I taped off the distance I wanted on the bit to show me the depth I wanted and then ran em in. Super solid and has enough room for the biggest battery I have available as a test. Sits flush and tight to the cage line and will be hidden under the hood with the panels in place. One draw back is having to take the body off to replace the battery...I tried to figure out an easy way to create a hood...to no avail.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2021, 07:50 PM   #20

Progress for the evening...
Attached Images

Beginning of a weird Everest 10 journey... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Journey of SMP TAT76 Axial SCX10 II 57 03-08-2021 06:08 AM
Redcat Everest Gen 7 & Everest 10 Crawling at the Creek DavidRCBasher Videos! 1 02-09-2020 04:52 PM
My trx-4 journey dittohead Traxxas TRX-4 6 08-05-2017 10:42 PM
I seen Journey last night... Kamikaze Chit Chat 8 08-09-2008 01:47 AM